build issue under linux

Pourya Shirazian

Feb 27, 2014, 10:23:48 PM2/27/14
to opens...@simquest.com
Hi,

I am very new to OpenSurgSim and got introduced to this fantastic project at MMVR conference.
I am trying to build the system under Linux Ubuntu but there are errors for YAML-CPP lib:
undefined reference to `YAML::detail::node_data::mark_defined()'

Please advise.

Thanks,

Christos Bergeles

Apr 1, 2014, 1:57:43 PM4/1/14
to opens...@simquest.com
Hi Pourya,

I had the same issue and ended up avoiding to build the tests. You can unset the flat with cmake. Hope that helps.

Christos

Pourya Shirazian

Apr 1, 2014, 2:14:55 PM4/1/14
to Christos Bergeles, opens...@simquest.com
Thanks yes I managed to build it as well.

Christos Bergeles

Apr 1, 2014, 2:37:44 PM4/1/14
to opens...@simquest.com, Christos Bergeles
Did you manage to build the examples as well?

Paul Novotny

Apr 1, 2014, 4:52:12 PM4/1/14
to Pourya Shirazian, Christos Bergeles, opens...@simquest.com
Pourya and Christos,

Have you installed our version of yaml-cpp [1]? CMake should have
complained if this isn't installed, but just wanted to make sure.

-Paul

[1] https://tinyurl.com/oq8736z

Christos Bergeles

Apr 4, 2014, 2:10:02 PM4/4/14
to opens...@simquest.com, Pourya Shirazian, Christos Bergeles
Ok, so I managed to solve it.

In the CMakeLists.txt contained in the examples folders, there is no cmake directive to link to the yaml-cpp library (under LIBS). Speculating here, but it may be because according to your log commits the library was removed from the THIRD_PARTY libs.

Paul Novotny

Apr 4, 2014, 4:22:37 PM4/4/14
to Christos Bergeles, opens...@simquest.com, Pourya Shirazian
I put up a branch (fix/yaml-examples) that I think does what you are
describing. Could you check it out and verify that this fixes your
issue? I also attached the patch if that is easier.

If this isn't what you did, could you submit a patch?

-Paul
0001-Add-yaml-cpp-libraries-to-examples.patch

Christos Bergeles

Apr 7, 2014, 6:08:44 AM4/7/14
to Paul Novotny, opens...@simquest.com
Hi Paul,

It still does not work. There was another issue with Yaml not having a Find**.cmake file, but I had adapted one from the net (attached).

I still get linking errors, but it may have something to do with the YAML_CPP directory being undefined - I recall the set variable being YAMLCPP without underscore. I can't take a better look right now (I am reading through the examples), but I should in a couple of days. Also, the Stapling example does not compile out of the box, giving:
 The binary directory

     /home/cbergeles/src/OpenSurgSim/build/Examples/ExampleStapling

   is already used to build a source directory.  It cannot be used to build
   source directory

     /home/cbergeles/src/OpenSurgSim/Examples/ExampleStapling

The error persists even if I erase the directory.

Best,
Christos
Findyaml-cpp.cmake

Christos Bergeles

Apr 7, 2014, 6:26:29 AM4/7/14
to opens...@simquest.com, Paul Novotny
My bad. Example stapling is building fine!

Paul Novotny

Apr 7, 2014, 9:00:47 AM4/7/14
On Mon, 2014-04-07 at 11:08 +0100, Christos Bergeles wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> It still does not work. There was another issue with Yaml not having a
> Find**.cmake file, but I had adapted one from the net (attached).

Christos, for packages built with CMake (like OpenSurgSim and Yaml-cpp),
a Find**.cmake is not the preferred way to find the package. These are
used to find dependencies that are not build with CMake. The way we have
yaml-cpp setup right now, does not require the Find*.cmake.

Would it be possible to setup a time to work through your issues? I
think it might be a faster way to figure out what is going on.

-Paul

Christos Bergeles

Apr 7, 2014, 1:53:54 PM4/7/14
to Paul Novotny, opens...@simquest.com
Hi,

Sure, that would help. Just let me know. Due to the time difference any time you suggest is probably ok. Skype: c.bergeles

Thanks,
Christos