Fit Payments, British Gas and Coronavirus

Michael Offiler

Apr 28, 2020, 7:17:21 AM4/28/20
to Microgen Database
When my Solar PV was installed 7 years ago, I was a British Gas customer, so naturally, I chose them as my FIT partner. In general, I have been very happy with their service, so when I moved to another energy supplier, I remained with BG for my FITpayments. My only criticism was ther insistence on 19th century technology (cheques) to pay me. Until now, that has been a minor inconvenience. However, with the currtent situation, paying a cheque into a bank account is not that easy since many bank branches are closed or have very limited hours. Also, their cheques are not compatible with self service paying in stations, so you need a bank with counter staff. I tried to contact BG to ask them if they would pay me via bank transfer (somethting that they could have thought of), but I have been unable to log into my account. Some Banking apps (eg HSBC) have facilities for paying in cheques remotel but sadly, neither of the 2 HSBC based bank accounts I have provide this service. I am left with the options of waiting for the currrent lock down to end, or posting my cheque  with details of my account to a bank office which is not the most satisfactory idea.

Interesting isn't it that when companies like BG want you to pay them, they encourage you to use up to date electromic transfer to minimise expense, but when they have to pay you, they chose the most inefficient an inconvenient system available. Not even the current crisis seems to be capable of making them switch to a transfer system that does not involve human contact!

Paul Grinnell

Apr 28, 2020, 7:34:01 AM4/28/20
to Michael Offiler, Microgen Database
Hi,
I have had my FiT payment direct onto my account since the solar was installed some 9 years ago. I am with Npower for the FiT, but changed this Feb to a different energy supplier. Npower pays me by about day 4 after submission.
Can not remember the last time I saw a cheque. Do not remember where I have put mine either.

Paul.

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, 12:17 Michael Offiler, <m.t.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Keith Banks

Apr 28, 2020, 7:36:31 AM4/28/20
to Microgen Database

On Tuesday, 28 April 2020 12:17:21 UTC+1, Michael Offiler wrote:
[...]

Re your difficulty in paying in cheques, I am also with BGas for FIT payments since 2011, and pay the cheques in very easily through the Post Office to Santander.  The Post Office supply me with envelopes, whhich are returned to them with the cheque and paying in slip inside, no stamp required, and the cheque is usually credited to my bank account within two days.  The good old Post Office has similar anarrangements with other banks, is HSBC one of them?

Escape Man

Apr 28, 2020, 10:27:06 AM4/28/20
to Michael Offiler, Microgen Database
FWIW I pay cheques into my HSBC account over the counter at a Post Office.

Bertil

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 12:17, Michael Offiler <m.t.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

John Rush

Apr 29, 2020, 4:21:07 AM4/29/20
to Microgen Database
I thought under the hsbc mobile banking app under move money there is an option to deposit a cheque.

That may work.

John

Kevin Morrison

Apr 29, 2020, 5:57:07 AM4/29/20
to John Rush, Microgen Database
you can do it with Barclays as well from your mobile app!

I only just found that out, I'm with British Gas as well and that was a right pain.

Kevin

community

Apr 30, 2020, 9:39:31 AM4/30/20
to Microgen Database