Payback!

James Cadman

Apr 13, 2018, 9:48:14 AM4/13/18
to Microgen Database
Microgen users have used this topic to discuss how long it will take for their solar PV system to payback. The payback time for a system can be complex as it depends on the level of Feed in Tariff at the time of installation, how much of the energy is used on site and the cost of the system.

Payback times reported range between 4 and 8 years so far, but it looks like some of the posters may be optimistic.

This topic is continued from earlier posts found at:

Ian Mitchell

Apr 30, 2018, 5:05:46 PM4/30/18
to Microgen Database
I had my PV system fairly early on (6.5 years ago) in November 2011 when the installation cost was about £16,000!
To date I have been paid by the electric company just over £10,000.  Added to this of course is the free electricity I have been using over the period.
So I reckon I should break even by about year 10 if I ignore the free electricity I have been consuming over the period. (Impossible to calculate).

This will have no bearing what-so-ever on some-one currently considering a new system as initial cost is considerably lower but the feed in tarrif is also much lower, I'm currently getting over 50p per unit!

johnmarkhooker

Apr 30, 2018, 5:13:54 PM4/30/18
to Microgen Database
Hi

My 4kWp system went live in Feb 2012, it cost 9882 and has yielded 12050 to date, this excludes any savings in inbound costs, i also use excess generation for water heating (so as not to waste a bit)

The system paid for itself in a shade over 5 years not taking into consideration inbound costs.

35 Deg, 190, west london, urn 741

One of my better investments

Alan Waters

May 1, 2018, 2:54:37 AM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
Our system went live on 28th November 2011 and cost £11,500 for a 20 panel array. During the course of this last week we exceeded the £11,500 cash generated, so it was 335 weeks to pay back the outlay, but of course our gas & electricity bills have been substantially lower since the installation

Keith Banks

May 1, 2018, 3:22:36 AM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
We had our solar system of 20 units @ 200w each fitted in July, 2011, costing £11995.  Repayment was made by May, 2017, and so far we have received £13,500 by March, 2018.  We also have the Solar iBoost fitted which give us plenty of hot water with the excess units not used. Last summer we did not need to turn the immersion on from April round to September.

Kevin Morrison

May 1, 2018, 8:14:55 AM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
My 2.92kWh system cost me £13,600 in Nov 2011 and I am due to break even this year.  Sounds like I paid a bit over the odds but did get SunPower 327 watt panels which are pretty good ones.

Nice to hear the payback of others and that people are using this more than the old forum already!

Chris Lock

May 1, 2018, 9:19:28 AM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
Well none of you are obviously accountants. Where is the rolling interest against your capital outlay? Should be at least 4%
You need to recalculate your end dates.

Regards

Guava090

Keith Banks

May 1, 2018, 11:35:24 AM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
Guava09O, you are certainly right about us not being accountants, but I would say that the rolling interest was more than covered by the amount of free electricity we are receiving throiughout the year, and the net return on my capital investment is about 16-17% annually, tax free, and index linked to rise over the future 19 years.  By then I will be 99 years old, but it will certainly be a selling point when I do finally move, as the new owners of my property can take over the feed in tariff, until it expires in 2036.  Cheers.

Robert Stanley

May 1, 2018, 12:03:22 PM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
Absolutely Keith! When we purchased our PVs (in 2009?) we regarded it as a sound investment of capital which was earning nothing, or losing value, in conventional investments. Benefits have included reduction in electricity bills of over a third, although the income is but modest as we could only site them on an east-facing roof. Best wishes.

Charles Baily

May 1, 2018, 12:46:20 PM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
You're right, Guava09O, we're not accountants. That's why we don't know where we'd get a reliable 4% pa interest rate on our invested capital!  For the record, my 3.8kw system dates from September 2011, but is not ideally oriented, at 095, and cost £13.5K.  I've accumulated 20,300 kWh, so I'm just about to pass £10K in tariff payments, plus the savings on grid power (currently at only about 2 units per day) and the gas savings from the SolarBoost on the tank. So, in my non-accountant's terms, I'm 3/4 of the way there after 6.5 years. Yup, best investment of my life.  (I just hope not too many standard-rate bill-payers are reading this...)

Melvin Steele

May 1, 2018, 1:38:13 PM5/1/18
to Microgen Database

A lot of systems installed around 2010/2011 are now near to  what owners regard as "payback".
Either soon approaching, as Kevin is, or now passed, as Alan and Keith have.
A little sooner, or a little later makes little difference to being satisfied this was a valid investment to have made.
Interpretations of payback seem to vary by individual and I recall companies were also varied in their definitions of this.

As Chris correctly points out, interest against capital may have been overlooked - however,
that simple approach may be justified by also overlooking reduced import costs where these will be of a similar order.
You could not have expected to have known/calculated this with much accuracy when making the investment decision!
We all had to go with "ballpark" figures and some level of confidence in these.

The percentage of generation not going back to the grid was not easy to estimate in advance and varies with lifestyles.
Salesmen often ignore loss of interest on capital yet always include/overstate the reduced billing.
I suspect some people were misled into thinking some "50%" figure in the tariff meant their bill would reduce that much!
Another more common misunderstanding exploited was comparing annual returns on capital with savings rates (where capital is returned), instead of using a reverse mortgage model.

I recall taking generation estimates from salesmen into my spreadsheet, factoring in all this plus maintenance/inverter-replacement and showing them back a very different payback period! - Ironically their payback period was actually close enough to the later reality but for the wrong reasons as the SAP figures they were bound to use were significant lower than later actuals.

After installation, several people asked "so are these panels worth it" and I'd say that depends on your own circumstances/outlook.
If still interested I'd refer them to my production figures and finance notes/guidance so they could work out their own answer.
See estimating/tracking tabs at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fQ_8JhVOGy3cvNsWPoDyWjYLJQtjtw16jp4yeUW2DE8/edit?usp=docslist_api

My 3.96kW installation cost £14,971 back in November 2010 and this month passed 33000 generated units, averaging £2,200/yr income.
The simple return on capital was 6.8 years or 6.6 years including usage. A return including investment interest at 3% will be around 8.6 years or 7.6 years allowing for billing reductions due to usage. Lending out the capital at £145/month repayment over 25 years (£1740/yr is exceeded by FiT income) equates to a 10.7% "mortgage" rate
to repay capital plus interest. By any method we all are or will be into some of the profit we deserve for committing capital and taking a modest investment risk.

Terry Farrell

May 1, 2018, 4:24:15 PM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
An accountant's eye view!!!

Well since the big crash of 2008, interest on loans have been at dismal lows. I've earned more on my NS&I bonds than anyone offers on the high street. Maybe we've been a little lucky, but so far the lowest return was for just a single month when we only received £25. Nearly every month we have 2 or 3 , on occasions 5 winning numbers. It's earned us more than 6% pa tax free.

But I digress from my main point. It is actually extremely difficult to calculate payback time. There are variations in abundance: FIT rates, electricity costs, weather, interest rates (though mostly down), and how much electricity is used or stored by ourselves, all make it very complex to be accurate.

We paid a smidgen under £6k for our 4kW system, commissioned in March 2014. With FIT, lower energy bills (50% lower), and over 3.5 MW free hot water, we estimate that we will have paid off in year 5 (probably the end of summer 2019). But this is an estimate because who knows how much sun we are going to get!

The only known variable is that electricity ain't going to get cheaper for a very long time! The higher the price, the sooner payback is reached.

We are now considering getting battery storage, something that is equally as difficult to estimate.

Terry Farrell

May 1, 2018, 4:42:00 PM5/1/18
to Microgen Database
Hi Ian

We had our 4kW system commissioned in March 2014. Our roof slopes 35 degrees and faces 195 degrees: we're on the south coast. We paid a smidgen under £6k. We estimate payback to be late in year 5, probably the end of summer 2019.

Terry

Beach comber

May 2, 2018, 6:57:05 AM5/2/18
to Microgen Database
Hi Terry,

Before you consider a battery system consider the costs.

A Powerwall 2 installed in the UK is going to cost you at least £8,000 installed. It has a warranted use of 37MWh and a warranted 10 year life.

That means a maximum use of 3.7MWh per year to stay inside the warranty. My yearly use is 5MWh so it would only last 7 years for me.

£8,000 installed for 37MWh system works out at 8,000/37,000 = 21.62p kWh, when charged by free solar.

I don't know about you, but I don't pay that much for my electricity, so why would I buy one?

Terry Farrell

May 2, 2018, 11:45:09 AM5/2/18
to Microgen Database
I am looking at this carefully. I appreciate the 37MWh limit that the Powerwall 2 warranty covers. But it is only the warranty and doesn't mean the batteries will actually fail at 37MW.

In fact, they've a bit crafty since Powerwall 1 days. The batteries get most of their wear when been rapidly charged, so they Powerwall 2 has twice the capacity but the charge rate has been halved. Unless you are a heavy user, they should last the full 10 years.

But I'm still undecided because of the outlay.

Geoffrey Evans

May 14, 2018, 10:03:02 AM5/14/18
to Microgen Database
Hi Terry

We had our 4kW system commissioned in July 2011 at a cost of £13,500. Our roof slopes 30 degrees and faces 170 degrees - we're in the Midlands.

FIT payments (up to 30th April 2018) have reached £11,786 and we expect to complete payback (factoring in lost interest at 2% pa and RPI at 3% pa) in 18 months time.
This is slightly better than my forecast at that time (11 years factoring lost interest at 5% pa and RPI at 3.5%), so we're very pleased with it as an investment.
(N.B. in 18 months time, we will be receiving £1,800 per year for £ZERO invested)

I have also looked at the option of adding a battery system and have concluded that (on an economic basis) it's no use for me - at current electricity costs, I would be over 90 years old before payback.
However, if I lived somewhere where the electricity supply was unreliable, a battery system could make sense from the convenience point of view.

Bart Hommels

Apr 1, 2019, 8:52:38 AM4/1/19
to Microgen Database
Hoping to join the thread on "break even day" for my 2.88 kWp system that was installed in September 2011,  I finally managed to do the "most honest" payback calculations last weekend. After factoring in interest against capital/mortgage and also digest the data I have on my household consumption and hot water heating figures and all the other related costs I could think of, I discovered that break even was reached somewhere in the last couple of months(!) Disappointed to have missed out on celebrations, delighted to see break even was reached earlier than expected.

Crunching the numbers, I was surprised by how much the break-even date was brought forward by low interest rates on capital, and comparatively high inflation of energy costs. Of note is that the reduction in household electricity consumption combined with hot water heating makes up a significant part of the annual return, somewhere between 10 and 15% in my case.

Terry Farrell

Apr 1, 2019, 10:19:12 AM4/1/19
to Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
We had our 4kW system installed and commissioned late in March 2014, so this is it's 5th anniversary. I originally guestimated that payback would take 6 years. But there are so many variables that you cannot foresee, I had based my calculations on everything that was current and known at that time.

I had end-of-month reading for both electricity (Eco7) and gas for the preceding two years 2012 & 2013. But in fact, we have cleared the installation cost (a tad under £6k). The returns as of 31 March 2019 are £6,285.01. We are really pleased!

But as everyone will be aware, there are just so many variables used to reach this figures and it takes a detailed spreadsheet to reach the conclusion. I'm pretty sure that we reached this goal early for various reasons. Firstly, we never foresaw the big price increase in electricity and (not so much) gas. We didn't foresee the effect of climate change so fast: last summer, generation achieved records month after record month. We also miscalculated just how much free hot water we would gain from our Solar iBoost (just over 1.1 MWh per year). Nor did we believe that interest rates would remain at historical lows - even if we had resisted spending the £6k on a holiday!

1. We used the actual price for energy we were paying in each month for the calculations. We've had three different fixed price deals over that time (Scottish Power, Engie and now with GNE).
2. What we have ignored is that during these 5 years, we have switched all our lights from a mix of tungsten and CFLs to low energy LEDs. We have replaced all our ageing white goods, fridge/freezer, washing machine, dryer (now a heat pump model) and dishwasher with modern A++ or A+++ models. We have also replaced our 30+ year old double-glazed uPVC windows with modern triple-glazed windows and the front door with a laminated door.
3. We calculated the interest lost on the £6k at a compound 1.6%, as that is where our cash ISA dropped.

Chas Hyde

Jun 16, 2019, 2:38:49 AM6/16/19
to Microgen Database
I had my 3.87kWp system installed in May 2011, at a cost of £12600. I estimated at the time that the system would need to generate 28094 kW to ‘payback’ at 2011/12 prices, which removes the need to sort out the inflation element. I reached this target in April this year, after almost 8 years. We received the £12600 back in June last year - after just over 7 years. I have not included the reduction in electricity costs - which are substantial, but difficult to calculate as my energy-flippant son left home during this time.

I installed a ‘diverter’ to channel unused power to my immersion in May 2013, since which time I have diverted just over 7MW of electricity.

As far as the life of the inverter goes, my Fronius is still going strong 🤞🏻, but my brother-in-law, also a 2011 installation, has had to have his inverter replaced a few years ago.

A worthwhile investment? I should say so!

Chas Hyde

Jun 19, 2019, 12:25:13 PM6/19/19
to Microgen Database
Hi all
Since we’ve been discussing payback and the possibility of inverter replacement being necessary sooner rather than later, has anyone replaced their inverter with one with an integral battery or considered doing so?

I know that the battery issue is generally thought to be not really cost-effective so I was wondering whether this alters if it is done as part of an inverter package?

John Haynes

Jun 19, 2019, 1:22:51 PM6/19/19
to Chas Hyde, Microgen Database
Hi Chas and all

I haven't sat down and done the calculations yet as (touch wood), our Inverter is working fine at the moment. However, this is something I will consider, and unless it's prohibitively expensive, will go for as and when the existing Inverter does fail. One that I am considering is the offer from EDF https://www.edfenergy.com/media-centre/news-releases/edf-energy-launches-competitive-home-battery-system-solar-pv and would most likely go for the 8.2KWh battery at just under £5k including the new inverter and grid services.
There are a number of others on the market, I think there's one from SolarEdge. A limitation for some of them may be that our present set-up is for two strings feeding into a single inverter as we have an array facing ESE and the other facing WSW. The ridge between the two faces more or less due South so in the morning, we get maximum output from the ESE (6 panels), at midday we get the overall maximum and in the afternoon, we get maximum from the WSW (8 panels).
Battery prices are coming down all the time as the market gets more competitive and production volumes increase, also as new technologies emerge.
As such, I will re-appraise this as and when the need arises. What I am not currently considering is adding battery storage to our existing set-up.

Hope this helps as always.

John Haynes.

Bertil Schou

Jun 19, 2019, 2:01:34 PM6/19/19
to John Haynes, Chas Hyde, Microgen Database
This is very interesting, as I too have been considering the EDF Battery + Grid services offer.

Having spoken to a rep (very confused conversation), I understand that if you have stored electricity in your batteries EDF will draw down in times of need, BUT they will not re-charge your batteries afterwards 9or so i gather from the EDF rep).  So, you generate solar power, EDF nick it, you get batteries discounted by about £200 worth of electricity, per year.

If this is so, the Octopus solution is looking really attractive: get 8kWh battery, charge from the grid overnight at about 7-8 p/kWh, then use it during the day assuming you do not have a surplus of solar generated electricity.  Also, at about 2PM, re-boost up to the max for your battery capacity, and use it (with EDF taking their bit) between 4-7 PM, where Octopus are ruinously expensive at 25p-ish per kWh.

Got some sums to do, but this could be a go-er.  The one snag is how to get a timed re-charge *from the grid* and not from the PV setup.  The battery and gubbins just looks for exported power.

Comments or opinions very welcome!

Bertil.

Kevin Morrison

Jun 20, 2019, 3:43:53 AM6/20/19
to Bertil Schou, John Haynes, Chas Hyde, Microgen Database
I'd be concerned about an integrated solution for one reason.  We get fit payments for what we generate as measured by the meter.  If you divert to a battery before you go through the meter it won't be counted until you use it.  There are losses associated with the storage and retrieval from the battery, I've not worked out the cost but would want to before purchase.  I really want a grid tied battery but the maths just don't add up.  I also thought of a combined inverter as a way of making it work.

Chas Hyde

Jun 20, 2019, 4:21:48 AM6/20/19
to Microgen Database
I understand what you are saying, but wouldn’t the generated kW go through the meter when the battery is discharged? The battery has to go after the inverter and either before the meter, or after it, so would it be an issue?

Anwar Mahmood

Jun 20, 2019, 4:28:53 AM6/20/19
to Microgen Database
Fascinating discussion.

Can I throw in a curve ball, to use an Americanism...?

Has anyone considered Voltstorage flow batteries, rather than conventional lithium ion?

Much more expensive up front, but with zero capacity fade, and twenty year life, the per-KWh
Is half that of lithium ion batteries.

If you're planning to stay in your current home and investing for the long term, this seems to be a better investment.

I haven't seen what the round trip efficiency is (ie if you put in 6KWh, do you get 6KWh back?) but I think that may already be factored in the per-KWh price.

Battery now matches the expected life of panels. It also eliminates the CONSIDERABLE installation costs of replacing lithium ion after 5-10 years.

The unknown is the continually falling cost of lithium ion; might it have more capacity at lower per-KWh price in 5 years?

Bart Hommels

Jun 21, 2019, 7:16:20 AM6/21/19
to Microgen Database
Yes it does, minus the losses. And even Lithium-Polymer technology, which is considered high efficiency, has a round-trip efficiency of about 90%.
So worst case you will be burning 10% of your FiT in battery losses.

Personally, from a wider viewpoint, I am not in favour of stand-alone domestic battery storage. The associated losses act on the cleanest, 100% renewable power on the UK grid. On top of that, in 10 years we will all be driving electric cars, adding yet another battery to the household.

It would be better if the government made it more attractive for flush homeowners to invest the money in other means of reducing their CO2 footprint, the most obvious being home insulation. Probably this is too much to ask however.

Disclaimer: I am not against batteries per se, they do have a function: https://hornsdalepowerreserve.com.au/
Bart

Beach comber

Jun 21, 2019, 11:33:28 AM6/21/19
to Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk

I don't see such a rosy EV future, as most car owners now can't park outside there own house, how are they going to charge their batteries?

I am all electric, so at night I charge up my night storage heaters and heat my water, so there won't be any spare for charging either of our cars.

From 2025 no new house builds will be allowed to use Gas, so will be forced to use electricity for heating.

National Grid has already stated that it won't be able to meet the EV demand. So how are they going to cope with heating all new homes.

I also don't believe most homes have a sufficient power supply to charge EV. The supply to my house is fused at 60A, say 15kW max and a Tesla car has a 75kWh battery. Thats a 10 hour charge at 7.5kWh and what about second car charging and the night storage and water heating. I can't work somebody has not done their sums.

On batteries, I have battery system which is charged by surplus PV and a couple of additional solar panels that charge the battery directly. When discharging, the first 1kWh of load is supplied by the battery, the rest comes from the grid. No power goes through the meter.
My 13.36kW battery is 8.16kW FLA and 5.2kW LiFePO4, as an example of efficiency 1374.94kWh went in and 1236.57kWh came out. So efficency is 89.936% but I expect that to improve as the FLA I have had for 18 months and the LiFePO4 for only 6 months.

Regards Howard.

Anwar Mahmood

Jun 21, 2019, 12:28:40 PM6/21/19
to Beach comber, Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
I agree not everything's in place. I still think there will be major changes over the next few years.  That could mean disruption and rising prices.

I read other European countries install millions of heat pumps every year. The UK? Low thousands. Where are all the skilled and experienced technicians going to come from? If/when Brexit happens, European technicians may not be able to come to the UK. Will we pay £1K/day for a heating technician, booked months in advance...?

If every house in a neighborhood installs solar, they could overwhelm the local substation. Too many EVs in leafy suburbs with two cars in each driveway will also overwhelm the substation.

Self-generation and self-consumption seems a very expensive strategy, but it might be the most prudent.

As towns and cities get more traffic congestion and emissions, they may mandate EVs whether that is practical or not.

Jun 21, 2019, 12:34:34 PM6/21/19
to Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
Let me try to put an optimistic spin on this:

On Friday, June 21, 2019 at 4:33:28 PM UTC+1, Beach comber wrote:

I don't see such a rosy EV future, as most car owners now can't park outside there own house, how are they going to charge their batteries?
Since moving from Sodium bulbs to LED street lighting, the power demand on the street lighting infrastructure is only a fraction of what it was designed for. The extra capacity can be used to equip all street light posts with a (slow) EV charger.

I am all electric, so at night I charge up my night storage heaters and heat my water, so there won't be any spare for charging either of our cars.

From 2025 no new house builds will be allowed to use Gas, so will be forced to use electricity for heating.
Yes, using heat pumps with efficiencies in the 250-350% range. They will, unlike storage heaters, have a flat, low energy demand over time.

I also don't believe most homes have a sufficient power supply to charge EV. The supply to my house is fused at 60A, say 15kW max and a Tesla car has a 75kWh battery. Thats a 10 hour charge at 7.5kWh and what about second car charging and the night storage and water heating. I can't work somebody has not done their sums.
This is a worst case assumption: you empty your Tesla completely and expect it to recharge in 10 hours on a 60A home supply. Though a 300 mile round trip commute, every day is reality for some people, it is somewhat above the UK average of <20 miles.  When assuming a 35 kWh top-up of the EV from a 100A house feed it looks a lot more feasible all of a sudden.

On batteries, I have battery system which is charged by surplus PV and a couple of additional solar panels that charge the battery directly. When discharging, the first 1kWh of load is supplied by the battery, the rest comes from the grid. No power goes through the meter.
My 13.36kW battery is 8.16kW FLA and 5.2kW LiFePO4, as an example of efficiency 1374.94kWh went in and 1236.57kWh came out. So efficency is 89.936% but I expect that to improve as the FLA I have had for 18 months and the LiFePO4 for only 6 months.
Now it is my turn to be pessimistic. the batteries are charged directly, that cuts out one of the AC-DC steps, increasing the efficiency. That is good. What is bad is that it means the battery losses cut into your FiT eligible production, reducing your income. Depending on what FiT tariff you are on, the lost income could easily exceed grid electricty prices.

Regards, Bart

Regards Howard.

Beach comber

Jun 21, 2019, 3:42:01 PM6/21/19
to Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
Hi Bart,

Thanks for the response.

My point was that most houses in the UK don't have a 100A supply. And the majority of UK residents can't park outside their house to plug in.

My daily commute used to be 154 miles a day round trip, which did reduce to 60, with a weekly meeting that was 300 miles round trip.

I only use surplus solar for battery charging and water heating that would otherwise have been exported. About 1MWh heating water and 0.5MWh into the battery p.a.

Yes a heat pump may be 200% efficient but instead of using 10p kWh tariff at night you are using 20p tariff during the day, so no saving. I am slowly switching over to High Heat Retention Storage heaters and using the lower tariff it could be cheaper than a heat pump.

The real point I am making is that even if I had a 100A/25kW supply I doubt it would charge our cars and heat our house in the winter. I already use 18.0 MW for heating and 5.0 MW house use after the 3.6 MW of solar. If both my son's were still at home with two more cars what then. My eldest drives to Holland and back each week and my youngest covers the country as a support engineer. This rush to EV makes no sense to me at all.

Regards, Howard.

Bertil Schou

Jun 21, 2019, 10:51:49 PM6/21/19
to Beach comber, Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
Going to/from Holland each week - "your mileage may vary" seems apt!

EV is not going to be for everyone.  I and the Mrs recently retired, byt our daily commutes were 10 and 14 miles respectively.  We live in a village, and both of us worked in nearby "Big Smoke" towns.We also have built a new house on an old site, we only have 40A (forty Amperes) max supply to the site!

Nevertheless, a 16A supply (or 13A/3kW if you do not want to install a commando socket) could charge the 40-odd kWh Leaf in about 13h, from flat.  But at an aggregate distance for both of us, that would rarely happen!

Also, the University I worked at is installing chargers everywhere, as anyone driving to the Uni counts as contributing to the University's carbon footprint.  Therefore, you could easily get another couple of hours charging there too.

So, if you are doing mega trips (sorry to hear you have a weekly 300-mile round trip meeting!)  EVs, at the moment, may not be the best option.  For us, it would have been ideal, had they been available when we were working and bought our respective cars.  (However, I do now have a lump sum available to put towards a decent EV, which one, which one ...)

Interesting conversation all, keep it up!

Bertil.

El Bocko

Jul 24, 2020, 2:40:59 PM7/24/20
to Microgen Database, ancientbe...@gmail.com, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
Some interesting numbers derived from my most recent FIT payment. Working from my spreadsheet, my I-Pace costs roughly 6p per mile. Working on my FIT payment that means that my Solar Panels this quarter provided my with 5,700 miles of travel; and I only travel about 5000 miles a year.

John Rose

Mar 18, 2021, 10:37:53 AM3/18/21
to Microgen Database, El Bocko, Beach comber, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
FIT rates:
I think that I'm due for
0.5602432 generated
0.039468 deemed exported
per kWhr wef 1 April 2021, 4kWp system commissioned 2011.
Is this right?

Geoffrey Evans

Mar 18, 2021, 12:40:22 PM3/18/21
to John Rose, Beach comber, El Bocko, Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
To John Rose - my 4kWp system was installed in 2011 and those rates are approx what I expect this year.

To El Bocko - I have a Nissan Leaf and currently do about 3,500 miles per year and I only ever charge at home on Economy-7 tariff.
My FIT payments cover ALL electricity and gas with £500 cash as well - presumably you only have a small system (or much newer ?) to just produce £300 p.a FIT ?

Geoffrey Evans

Regards

Geoff

Geoffrey Evans

Mar 18, 2021, 12:44:19 PM3/18/21
to John Rose, Beach comber, El Bocko, Microgen Database, jcad...@sheffield.ac.uk
Correction  I see that the £300 was for a quarter - £1,200 for the year ?
--
Regards

Geoff

Melvin

Mar 18, 2021, 3:28:49 PM3/18/21
to microgen-da...@sheffield.ac.uk
Re,

FIT rates:
I think that I'm due for
0.5602432 generated
0.039468 deemed exported
per kWhr wef 1 April 2021, 4kWp system commissioned 2011.
Is this right?

Yes, if installed as retrofit (up to 4kW) between April 2010 and  March 2011, the rates will be
£56.03/kWh generated and  £0.00395 deemed export,  according to the official document at
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2021/01/feed-in_tariff_fit_tariff_table_1_april_2021.xlsx
so equivalent to  £0.5801/kWh   (=0.5603+0.0395*0.5) per metered generated unit.
Melvin

PS: you should be able to find links to similar documents in future years at
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/fit/fit-tariff-rates

Melvin

Mar 18, 2021, 3:34:14 PM3/18/21
to microgen-da...@sheffield.ac.uk
Sorry for the earlier typo!

On 18/03/2021 19:28, Melvin wrote:
Re,
FIT rates:
I think that I'm due for
0.5602432 generated
0.039468 deemed exported
per kWhr wef 1 April 2021, 4kWp system commissioned 2011.
Is this right?

Yes, if installed as retrofit (up to 4kW) between April 2010 and  March 2011, the rates will be
£0.5603/kWh generated and  £0.00395 deemed export,  according to the official document at