A cracking good April 2020

Terry Farrell

Apr 30, 2020, 5:33:03 PM4/30/20
to Microgen Database
April has finished and it's been a cracker for PV generation; best April recorded since our system went live in 2014 and approximately 150 kWh higher than all Aprils.

Could it be cleaner skies with less atmospheric pollution?

Malcolm Morton

Apr 30, 2020, 6:20:39 PM4/30/20
to Terry Farrell, Microgen Database
My April generation is also my highest April ever (495 kwh for my 3.6 kwp system) but nowhere near 150 kwh above the previous highest. My generation for April is 50 kwh above the 7 year average, and for 2019, but it might have been a bit more if I didn't have a pigeon infestation problem which I am currently trying to resolve.
Mal

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 22:33, Terry Farrell <terryfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
April has finished and it's been a cracker for PV generation; best April recorded since our system went live in 2014 and approximately 150 kWh higher than all Aprils.

Could it be cleaner skies with less atmospheric pollution?

Chas

May 1, 2020, 3:18:10 AM5/1/20
to Malcolm Morton, Terry Farrell, Microgen Database
Best April since 2011 for us old stagers.

That was the year (and month) of the eruption of the Icelandic volcano, which resulted in a lack of contrails in our skies.

Coincidence??

Ian Bocking

May 1, 2020, 3:18:45 AM5/1/20
to Terry Farrell, Microgen Database
More likely is a very large high pressure system sitting to the north of the UK for a large proportion of the month keeping the skies clear.
Kind Regards,
Ian Bocking

On 30/04/2020 22:33, Terry Farrell wrote:
April has finished and it's been a cracker for PV generation; best April recorded since our system went live in 2014 and approximately 150 kWh higher than all Aprils.

Could it be cleaner skies with less atmospheric pollution?

Ken Wakefield

May 1, 2020, 5:12:56 AM5/1/20
to Microgen Database
Same for me living in a rural village just south of Chester. I always use Kwh per Kwp when comparing as this eliminates the size of system you have. My system is 4Kw and my result for April is 129 (129x4 = 516 total). My system was installed in Aug 2011. 2015 was also good at 128. My April for 9 years has been 93, 112, 107, 128, 110, 108, 88, 116, 129.  The PVGIS prediction for April is 105 and SAP 2009 is 99. So there is no doubt it was a good month. Actually March was also the best ever with 100. Previous best was 96 in 2014.
On this Microgen database my URN is 90. I have a Nedap inverter and 4Kw Mitsubishi panels. My total payback is now 123%. Installing my panels has been one of the best things I have done.
Ken

Chas

May 1, 2020, 6:06:05 AM5/1/20
to Ken Wakefield, Microgen Database
I’m also in a rural village, just north of Stoke-on-Trent, so not far away from you Ken. My KWh/kWp for April 2020 was 143.2. The best ever was May 2018 at 162.3.
On this database my URN is 2024 so I must have joined quite a bit later than you.
My install date was 20/5/11.

Good to make a connection!
Chas

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin Prior (was Thackie)

May 1, 2020, 6:56:59 AM5/1/20
to Microgen Database
It was a good month here in the Scottish Borders. 3rd highest April and 7th highest month since installation in May 2010.

Janet Davies

May 1, 2020, 7:00:33 AM5/1/20
to Chas, Ken Wakefield, Microgen Database
My system was installed in September 2011 and is a 2.3kW system. My total for April was 308.1 - over 10 per day. On a few days I got over 14 - a total I would only expect nearer to midsummer. Hoping the skies will still be clear then. I did have the panels cleaned earlier this year, when the pigeon proofing was done, and this may have helped swell the total as well.

Janet

Kevin Prior (was Thackie)

May 1, 2020, 12:18:40 PM5/1/20
to Microgen Database

Bart Hommels

Jun 9, 2020, 8:57:48 AM6/9/20
to Microgen Database, malcolm....@gmail.com, terryfa...@gmail.com

2020.png

Not so much of a coincindence I suspect. Just to illustrate how extraordinary it has been: April was 1.5 stdev above the 2011-2019 average, May was over 4 stdev away from the average. The probability of this being a statistical fluke is 0.025%, making it extremely likely that there is something else at play.

On Friday, May 1, 2020 at 8:18:10 AM UTC+1, Chas wrote:
[...]

dave.w...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2020, 10:23:32 AM6/9/20
to microgen-da...@sheffield.ac.uk

To: Microgen Database Group

From: Dave Worley

Please forward this message for me.

There appears to be some confusion about the date of the Icelandic Volcano which was 14th April 2010 not in 2011.  Living in Essex where there are lots of condensation trails I suspect that they reduce my Solar PV output by a minimum of 14%, but I cannot prove it.  I have a friend who is a beekeeper and he says that the Condensation Trails pull in more cloud and he may well be correct.  The sky is no longer as blue as it was when I was a boy back in the 1950’s, we appear to have a lot more cloud as well as pollution, you used to be able to see the stars, the horizon use to be a purple haze whereas now it is an murky orange-brown colour.  To see what colour the sky should be look at the clock face on a church as the blue represents the colour of the sky and the numerals the sun, or look at an old painting in an art gallery or church or chapel.

Beach comber

Jun 9, 2020, 11:07:17 AM6/9/20
to Microgen Database

I'm with Chas and Dave Worley on this.

I live under the Gatwick and Heathrow flight paths and the lack of contrails causing high level haze has given me record generation months recently.

I remember after 911 in America, because all flights were grounded, the sky across America cleared of contrails and the temperature rose by three degrees.

Like Dave as a kid back in the fifties we had wonderful summers with real blue sky's.

Long may it continue, Beachcomber.

Anwar Mahmood

Jun 9, 2020, 11:06:29 PM6/9/20
to Microgen Database
Perhaps we may get skies with fewer con trails soon...

Maiden Flight Of “Largest All-Electric Commercial Aircraft" | CleanTechnica