Update and e-signature requests will start going out

prin...@sethigh.org

Sep 26, 2022, 2:41:27 PM9/26/22
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

  • E-Signature requests for Independent Study contracts
  • Reporting absences via CoreCompetency
  • Opening a few more spots at SET for your friends!
  • Open House (1:30 PM) and Family Fun Picnic (2:00 PM) on 10/6
  • Traffic --Thank you!
  • Graduation Gowns and Swag
  • Volleyball and Cross Country update
  • Mental Health Services Notice
  • Discounted Internet Service

E-Signature requests for Independent Study contracts

You will start receiving e-signature requests for the Independent Study contracts that get created every time you request a virtual day.  We will try to consolidate the contracts into multi-day contracts when you request multiple virtual days in a row, so you will not receive the request immediately.  There is a 10 day deadline for signing these contracts, so please sign the documents as soon as you see the email come in.  We are sending the document to the primary parent contact (the first parent listed when you registered).  Please let us know if you prefer to switch the primary and secondary parent contacts.  Students also need to complete the signature.  It is a pain for Ms. Castro to print out the contracts and hunt down students and parents for wet signatures, so students, please stay on top of the e-signature requests.

These contracts are really important for school funding.  Public schools lose roughly $60/day for any absence, regardless of whether it is excused.  The Independent Study contracts allow us to recover some of this money assuming the student does school work while absent and everyone signs the contract on time.

Reporting absences via CoreCompetency

Please make sure that you are reporting absences in CoreCompetency instead of calling the absences in to the front office.  Just click on the "My Student Will Be Absent" link on the dashboard.  This will automatically notify the teachers that the student is eligible to connect virtually to the class.  We hope that the students do connect virtually so that they do not get too far behind with their work.

Opening a few more spots at SET for your friends!

I'll be sending out an email on Wednesday to the families who are on the waitlist that there are a few spots open at SET.  If you have a friend who is unhappy at their current school, let them know that we have space available so that they can enroll now and get a jump on the other families.  We love our current students and we assume that you have good taste in friends, so we prefer to extend this invitation to your friends first!  They can enroll here.

Open House (1:30 PM) and Family Fun Picnic (2:00 PM) on 10/6

We are going to combine Open House with the Family Fun Picnic this year.  If you would like to come inside the school and see your student's classroom and teachers, the teachers will be in their rooms receiving visitors between 1:30 PM and 2:00 PM next Thursday.  We will all walk down to the park for the Family Fun Picnic at 2:00 PM.  To maximize your time with the teachers, we ask that your student be the guide who introduces you to each of their teachers.  There will be plenty of time to chat with the whole staff at the Family Fun Picnic if the conversations get cut short.

Also know that you can email, call, or visit any of our staff anytime throughout the year.  It's best to email the staff member to schedule a time.

The Family Fun Picnic is being organized by our revitalized SET PA.  We are so lucky to have such strong support from our families this year!  See the flyer for the Family Fun Picnic here.

Traffic --Thank you!

The traffic situation is so much better now.  Thank you for making the small adjustments that solved the problem.  The 3:45 pick-up is the easiest thing to do, so please keep doing that if you can.  Do let us know if traffic gets bad again.  It only takes one person to block traffic, and new family members who are not familiar with our pick-up routines sometimes answer the call to help move kids around, so please be gentle when you ask someone to move along.  A smile will be so much more effective than an angry honk!

Graduation Gowns and Swag

Jostens will come to the school during lunch to present the options for graduation items like caps and gowns, invitations, class rings, and more.  They will present to the seniors (Class of 2023!) on 10/18 during lunch and then they will come back on 10/25 to take orders.

Volleyball and Cross Country update

The Cross Country team had its first meet a couple of weekends ago and the report from Coach Watkins was that everyone did great and met or exceeded their personal bests.  Their next meet is on October 6th down at Liberty Station, but we all will be at the Family Fun Picnic so we'll just have to get another report from Coach Watkins about those race results!

The Volleyball girls killed it last week, winning two of their matches against really tough opponents.  The last match was a nail-biter with SET taking it in the 5th set.  For those of us who have watched this team grow from last year, these victories are oh so sweet!  There are 3 games this week, so come out and support the team!

Mental Health Services Notice

California Assembly Bill 2022 requires schools to notify pupils and parents or guardians of pupils of how to initiate access to available pupil mental health services on campus or in the community. Please click here to see the letter to parents regarding the information on how to access pupil mental health services.

Discounted Internet Service

Go to  http://www.GetMyInternet.org to see if you qualify for discounted internet service.

Thanks everyone!

Dr. McCurdy