International Trips and Exchanges

prin...@sethigh.org

Mar 27, 2023, 1:56:30 PM3/27/23
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

  • Spring Break London Trip Opportunity for future Seniors (class of 2024)
  • Domestic Trip Opportunity for future Juniors (class of 2025)
  • International Students looking for placement
  • Partnership with the Sasebo San Diego Society in Japan
  • Report Cards (4/15)

Spring Break London Trip Opportunity for future Seniors (class of 2024)

Ms. Lennon is thinking ahead to next year and would like to bring some students to England during Spring Break.  She has already convinced Ms. Geis to join her on this trip and is hoping to also convince 12 students!  It is good that Ms. Lennon is such a good planner because the trips require a lot of up-front planning and the deadline for the discounted rate is in June.  This will be a senior-only (class of 2024) trip limited to 12 students.  If there are more than 12 interested students she will run a lottery.  Assuming this trip is a success, she is looking forward to doing this in the future with a larger group of students, but for now she wants to limit it to 12 because 1) it might be easier to find a smaller number of students who can make this work, and 2) the smaller group size is logistically easier to handle.

So, Juniors, be thinking about whether you would rather be spending this week next year in London with your friends and teachers.

Some things to consider for our current Juniors:

  1. A passport will be required
  2. There is a substantial all-inclusive trip cost ($3621) with a monthly payment schedule that your family would need to commit to.  We may be able to find some donors who could offer partial needs-based financial help, so if you are serious about going but there is no way to afford it, please talk to us before you rule yourself out.
  3. From April 10th, 2023 forward, the student must have a perfect disciplinary record (no suspensions).
  4. From April 10th, 2023 forward, the student cannot have any failing grades (unless there is teacher agreement that the failing grades could not be avoided).

The planned itinerary for the trip:

Days 1-2: Home - London
Arrival transfer

Tour director-led walking tour in Covent Garden

Day 3: London
London City Sightseeing: Local guide, Changing of the Guard (if scheduled)

Visit to the British Museum

Tour director-led walking tour in Leicester Square and Piccadilly Circus

Day 4: London
Visit to Westminster Abbey with Royal Chapels, Royal Tombs and Chapter House

Tour director-led walking tour from Westminster to Trafalgar Square

Afternoon Tea at the church of Saint Martin in the Fields

Visit to the V&A Museum of Art and Design

Day 5: London
Visit to the Tower of London

Jack the Ripper guided walking tour

Optional West End Theatre Performance

Day 6: London
Round-trip Thames Cruise from Westminster Pier to Greenwich: Visits to the Old Royal Observatory and the National Maritime Museum

Traditional pub lunch

Day 7: Departure
Departure transfer

Domestic Trip Opportunity for future Juniors (class of 2025)

Mr. Snow is in the very early stages of investigating a potential trip for Juniors to Washington, D.C. during that same time next year. He will provide more information about that trip possibility as he learns more.

International Students looking for placement

If there is a current SET family who would like to host some students from Germany, we just got notice that the following students are looking for placement.  They would all have automatic admission to SET High under the "sibling" placement rules for our lottery.  We have loved having exchange students at SET in the past and miss the impact that the three who were with us last year had on our community and culture. Please consider hosting a student if your current family situation allows it.  The following is more information about the particular students along with information about how to host.

Amelie, 16 – Germany: My friends describe me as an open, honest, trustworthy, and reliable person. I am optimistic and try to see the best in every situation. I love laughing and listening to music. In my free time I regularly meet up with my friends and sometimes go to the gym. When I’m at home I often crochet or sew. I love food and that’s why I like to cook, especially healthy food. I’m also very good with kids and I love pets, mostly dogs.

Marlon, 15 – Germany: I am a calm and tidy person. My peers say that I am a friendly and pleasant teenager. I love soccer and would love to continue taking it as a course at high school. I am also interested in badminton and volleyball. I have a little brother and love animals. I would like to cook German food for my host family and bring the German tradition a little closer to you.

Yara- 15- Germany: I am funny, helpful, and outspoken. I enjoy spending time with my friends and I often meet with them at the weekend. I also enjoy time on my own by listening to music and going on long walks and reading. I am very independent, ambitious, and self-organized. I do regular fitness training and weightlifting on my own and train karate as a member in a sports club.

Learn more about becoming a host!

Partnership with the Sasebo San Diego Society in Japan

Some students and I had our first Zoom meeting with the Sasebo San Diego Society on Thursday afternoon after school.  This a group of women in Sasebo, Japan who create cultural exchange opportunities for students and families in our two communities.  We have agreed on a Kizuna which is an enduring bonds between people—close relationships forged through mutual trust and support.  They have welcomed our students and families into their homes if we ever visit Japan, and we have welcomed their students to SET High if they ever want to do an exchange program in San Diego.  We hope to one day have a sister school in Sasebo with an always-on Zoom-style connection between our two schools during the hours that we overlap so that we could make new friends and see our former exchange student friends in their home school.  Thank you to the students who joined me on this call to help us forge this first connection!

Report Cards (4/15)

In case anyone is eagerly awaiting their report cards, we always give our teachers 3 working days to complete grades.  Grades are due to us on the Wednesday after we return from Spring Break which should mean that report cards will be available on April 15th.

Enjoy your Spring Break, everyone!  Getting the extra week for Spring Break is one of the best decisions we ever made as a school.  Students, be sure to enjoy this reward for the hard work that you put in this year!

Dr. McCurdy