Weekly Update (LCAP Meeting, College)

prin...@sethigh.org

May 3, 2021, 12:47:24 AM5/3/21
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

  • LCAP Advisory Group Meeting (Tue, 5/4 @ 5:30 PM)
  • Minimum Day this Thu (5/6).  Students released at 11:55 (No additional details necessary)
  • Applying to College from a Parent's Perspective: Lessons Learned (Wed, 5/19 @ 5:30 PM)
  • College App Primer for Juniors during Advisory this week
  • Promise Program (2 Years of Free Community College) Enrollment Deadline (6/11)
  • SAT Practice Test with Ms. Lennon for Juniors (5/12 during Flex Time)
  • Mesa College Dual Enrollment Summer and Fall Planning
  • Board Meeting on Wed, 5/12 @ 4:30 PM (Details will be on the calendar)

LCAP Advisory Group Meeting (Tue, 5/4 @ 5:30 PM)

https://zoom.us/j/92212879071?pwd=aVNhS3Z1V3BaTzI3T0cwVyt1NkxTQT09

Detail repeated from a previous email:

Our LCAP Advisory Group is a group of parents, staff members, and students who help us create the Local Control Accountability Plan for the 2021/22 school year.  We are looking for students and parents who would like to officially (or even unofficially) join the advisory group and help us agree on our staffing and funding priorities for the next school year.  Please join us.

What is the LCAP?

Each year, schools are required to have a transparent discussion about the school priorities and the money that gets allocated to those priorities.  All stakeholders (parents, students, staff, and the community) should be involved in this decision-making.  Charter schools have traditionally been very good at reaching out to stakeholders because of the choice that charter school parents have in their selection of schools and the customer service focus that charter schools necessarily have as a result of that parent choice.  Before school choice was an option, public schools did not have to engage with the community because there was nowhere else for the families to go if they were not happy.  Recognizing this, California created the LCAP (Local Control Accountability Plan) requirement a few years ago to make sure that schools were engaging with stakeholders about important decisions.  Our LCAP Advisory Group helps us make important decisions about school priorities and helps us craft the LCAP.

The LCAP will ultimately be reviewed and approved at our June board meeting.

Applying to College from a Parent's Perspective: Lessons Learned (Wed, 5/19 @ 5:30 PM)

This event is geared towards 11th-grade parents, but anyone is welcome to attend.  Come learn from McCurdy's personal experience being a parent of a Senior during the college application and acceptance season.  Be warned; it's a roller coaster!  Topics that I will cover include:

  • College Essays
  • Should students still take/submit the SAT/ACT?
  • How to not throw away 100's of thousands of dollars of financial aid
    • Think you understand 529's and the FAFSA?  No, you don't.  :)
  • How to handle a stressed, anxious, fearful, over-thinking, second-guessing teen

College App Primer for Juniors during Advisory this week

It's May!  The Seniors have selected their colleges and now it is time for the Juniors to start the process.  Mr. Heid will be meeting with all of the Juniors during advisory this week to do an overview of the college application process.  Juniors, make sure you are in Advisory this week!  Parents, please help your Junior get to Advisory at 9:15 on Wednesday.

Promise Program (Free Community College) Enrollment Deadline (6/11)

This is what I posted to the Senior Chat yesterday.  Parents of Seniors who will be attending Mesa, Miramar, or City College, please note the 6/11 deadline:

Heads up for those students going to Mesa, Miramar, or City College next year, the Promise Program (2 years of free college) application deadline is June 11th.  More info can be found here: https://www.sdccd.edu/about/departments-and-offices/student-services-department/promise/apply-promise.aspx

Get started on this as soon as you can because you'll need to complete the FAFSA first and that can be a confusing process that might take you a couple of days to coordinate with your parents.  We'll try to support you as best as we can on this since normally someone from Mesa would be able to walk you through the whole process.  That might be a bit trickier this year since I'm pretty sure they are still completely virtual at the moment.  Let me know when one of you has successfully made it through any part of this process so that we can all help each other.  We can't see what the process looks like on our end since we're not applying, and it's difficult to help students with this since the bulk of the information that they are looking for is your family's private financial information that your family probably isn't comfortable sharing with us.  We'll get there, though.

SAT Practice Test with Ms. Lennon for Juniors (5/12 during Flex Time)

Ms. Lennon will be running a timed practice SAT test at school on Wed during Flex Time.  Please let Ms. Lennon know if you plan to attend (ava.l...@sethigh.org).  Motivated Sophomores are welcome, too, as long as there is sufficient space.  Check with Ms. Lennon.

Mesa College Dual Enrollment Summer and Fall Planning

Next year's Juniors and Seniors (this year's Sophomores and Juniors) are eligible to take College Classes at Mesa College.  For more information, see below:

Thanks, everyone!

Dr. McCurdy