Police incident today

prin...@sethigh.org

Apr 11, 2023, 6:31:13 PM4/11/23
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

As I am sure the students have made many of you aware, we had quite a large police presence on campus today to deal with a security threat.  After doing a thorough evaluation of both the threat and the mental health of the student who made the threat, the police determined that there was not a credible threat and that there is no ongoing concern.  We have always taken these kinds of incidents extremely seriously at SET because student and staff safety is paramount.  Students sometime make mistakes, as happened today, but thankfully this mistake is one of judgement and not action.  The student will not be on campus for awhile while we determine the correct personalized safety plan to make sure this is not repeated.

I want to thank the students for making the officers feel so welcome on our campus, the parents of the student for their support and cooperation as we assessed the risk, and the SDPD officers for their very quick and professional response to the situation.  The school very much feels the support of the wider community.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I will try my best to answer them.  In case you have safety concerns, know that I feel that the school is in fact more safe rather than less safe as a result of today.

On another note, I am very aware that I also owe you an email about the "college day" events that are happening on Thursday.  While this does involve the entire school, the activities and instructions are separate for each grade.  You should have received a permission slip form specific to your student that will give you the logistics.  Please ask the staff member who sent you the permission slip for more information if you have questions or if you need help with transportation.  If you did not receive a permission slip, please reply to this email (and include your student's name!) so that we can point you in the right direction.

Thanks for all of your support!

Dr. McCurdy