No school on Friday, November 12

1 view

prin...@sethigh.org

Nov 6, 2021, 3:15:22 PM11/6/21
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

  • No school on Thursday and Friday (11/11 and 11/12)
  • Mountain bike meetup at Mission Trails on Friday (10 AM)

No school on Thursday and Friday (11/11 and 11/12)

You may have heard about San Diego Unified trying to turn Friday, November 12th into a mental health day since Thursday is Veterans Day.  This puts us in an uncomfortable situation because the language being used now throughout the media is that Friday is an optional day of school.  Regardless of our messaging, we will wind up with families who think the day is optional and we will have low attendance.  Low attendance ruins the school day for everyone who does come to school and it winds up not being useful or fun for anyone.

As a result, we are going to take the day off, and we'll add a community service day in June, at a time when we'll have enough time to make the day be meaningful for our students.  No worries if you already have holiday plans in June.  You will not miss finals or any instructional time that will affect student grades.

I hope everyone is able to make good use of the 4 day weekend and can actually use this as a mental health break.  San Diego Unified had good intentions by promoting mental health and I applaud them for recognizing the need for a timeout during this crazy year.  I just wish they had thought of this a few weeks earlier so that they could give everyone time to prepare for it.

Mountain bike meetup on Friday (10 AM)

Mr. Apalategui and I are going to lead a mountain bike ride on that Friday holiday for any parents and students who want to join us.  We will all meet at the Clairemont Mesa Blvd entrance to Mission Trails at 10:00 AM.  Go east on Clairemont Mesa Blvd all the way until you come to a dead end.  Feel free to just drop your student off if you are not a mountain biker yourself.  We'll ride for about 2 or 3 hours.  Make sure you bring water and a snack.  All riding levels are welcome, but there are some steep and bumpy downhills so you do need to at least be able to bounce your way slowly down bumpy terrain without being so petrified that you refuse to do it.  I'm sure there will be a lot of walking on the uphills so we at least have to ride on the downhills!

We'll be riding regardless, so there is no need to RSVP.

Thanks, everyone.  Hopefully, this news comes as welcome good news!

Dr. McCurdy