Reminder: Orientation starts at 4pm today! Read this email, too!

prin...@sethigh.org

Aug 25, 2022, 5:26:24 PM8/25/22
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

  • Orientation is today at 4:00 PM (Zoom link)
  • First Days of School Information (read for arrival time and arrival procedures)
  • Orientation Documents (e-signature version will be sent to your email before school)
  • Girls Volleyball Practice/Tryouts start Wed (4PM @ rec)
  • Cross Country Practice starts on 9/6
  • Lunch/Breakfast Information (note, no lunch served during 1st week)
  • Early Release on Thu (9/1)
  • 9th grade retreat starts at 5 PM on Thu (9/1)
  • 10th, 11th, and 12th grade special instructions for Fri (9/2)
  • Labor Day Holiday on Mon (9/5)

Orientation is today at 4:00 PM (Zoom link)

Join us on Zoom here to get important information about the 1st days of school, to learn about how to report and excuse absences, to ask questions, and to meet the staff.

First Days of School Information (read for arrival time and arrival procedures)

In order to enter the building on Monday (and on the first day of school after any extended break such as Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break) all students will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test.  We hope that the majority of our students will take an at-home test so that we do not have a long line of students getting tests from us.  A photo of a negative result for a COVID-19 test that was taken on the morning of 8/29 is sufficient proof.  Please do not email us the results because we will be out front with the students and will not have ready access to email.  A photo on the student's phone or the actual test will be easiest for us to handle.

We recommend that the new students do not arrive before 8:30 because the "sitting around and waiting for something to happen" can increase anxiety.  If new students do not have proof of a negative test, though, we will need them here between 8:00 and 8:15 so that we can get their test results before we start with them at 8:30.

The following is the schedule for Monday

8:00 - 8:30: New students arrive and are COVID tested if they do not have proof of negative result (closer to 8:30 is preferred if they do have proof)

8:30 - 9:30:

  • All new students meet as a group with the Principal and Assistant Principal
  • All returning students will be outside getting COVID tested and visiting with each other.  Students can enter the building when they are confirmed negative, but the den will be closed to returning students.

9:30 - 10:30:

  • All students meet in Advisory
  • Computer check-out to new students

10:30 - 11:30

  • Fire drill followed by "whole school meeting" (All ROAR) outside.  The Fire Drill will get the students into the right place for the outside All ROAR so that's why we are doing a fire drill so early in the school year)

11:30 - 12:30: Lunch (bring a bag lunch because no lunches will be served during the first week)

12:30 - 1:00: Period 1

1:05 - 1:35: Period 2

1:40 - 2:10: Period 3

2:15 - 2:45: Period 4

2:50 - 3:20: Period 5

3:20 - 3:30: Get out early.  It is fine to leave or to hang out with friends.

On Tuesday we will have shortened classes in the morning followed by information sessions in the afternoon.

Wednesday will be a normal Flex Day schedule

Thursday will be a minimum day schedule with 9th graders starting their retreat at 5:00 PM

Friday will be "retreat day".  More details below.

Orientation Documents (e-signature version will be sent to your email before school)

There are some documents that need to be reviewed and signed prior to the start of the school year.  The e-signature page will come to you in an email on Friday or over the weekend.  Signatures will be due by next Friday (9/2).

The documents that you will be reviewing can be found in the Orientation Documents folder.  For future reference this folder can be found on our website in the Parent Portal: https://sethigh.org/parent-portal/

Girls Volleyball Practice/Tryouts start Wed (4PM @ rec)

The girls volleyball team will have their first practice/tryout on Wed at the Serra Mesa Rec Center. More information will be provided to students throughout the week.  Ms. J and Jake Lingol are the coaches this year, so if you have any questions please direct them to Ms. J (mitra.j...@sethigh.org)

Medical Physical Exams are required to play on high school sports teams.  The documents that need to be filled out by you and your physician are in the Orientation Document Folder

Cross Country Practice starts on 9/6

Cross Country is a co-ed running team.  Those who play basketball on the SET High team or who play on other outside sports teams should be on the cross-country team so that you can build endurance for later.  Not to mention that Cross Country is also fun and super rewarding.  Practices will start on 9/6.

Medical Physical Exams are required to play on high school sports teams.  The documents that need to be filled out by you and your physician are in the Orientation Document Folder

Lunch/Breakfast Information (note, no lunch served during 1st week)

All lunch reservations are done in CoreCompetency (under the Meals menu) and we only guarantee lunch for those students who reserve lunch.  This year all students are eligible for free lunch and breakfast.  We will always have enough fruit available for breakfast and will restock it according to demand, so students do not need to reserve breakfast.

All reservations for lunch must be completed for the following week by Thursday night of the prior week.  For students who do not reserve meals, we cannot guarantee that they will receive a meal, but we will certainly feed them if we have extras.  Any students that abuse the reservation system and reserve meals that they do not eat will be unable to reserve meals for a period of time.  We purchase these meals using our regular school budget so we do not want to be wasting meals and money.

The lunch menu for the 2nd week of school will be available for reservation by early next week.

Early Release on Thu (9/1)

The first Thursday of the month is a minimum day and students are released at 1:50 PM.  Our first minimum day happens to fall during the first week of school this year.

9th grade retreat starts at 5 PM on Thu (9/1)

Our 9th graders have an overnight 9th grade retreat where they get to "own the school" on Thursday evening and Friday morning.  It is a great bonding experience for our students and staff and a great way for the students to feel comfortable in their new school.  Every year we have students who are reluctant to attend because they have the natural fears that come from not yet having friends, but all of our 9th graders wind up loving the experience and talking about it for years to come.

The specifics of the 9th grade retreat will come in a later email.

10th, 11th, and 12th grade special instructions for Fri (9/2)

Friday is "retreat day" for our other students.  While the 9th graders are taking over the school on their retreat, our other grades will be bonding by doing fun things across San Diego.

10th graders will be going to Belmont Park

11th graders will be doing Escape Rooms

12th graders will be going to Parkway Bowl

Hopefully this email and the Virtual Orientation this afternoon, will help you make sense of the frenetic first days of school.  We are super excited to have everyone back and really looking forward to finally having a more normal school year!

See you virtually in a couple of hours!

Dr. McCurdy