State Testing for 11th graders and Sex Ed for 9th and 10th

prin...@sethigh.org

May 3, 2022, 7:01:18 PM5/3/22
to set-w...@sethigh.org

Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians,

This email contains a lot of extras due to mandatory notifications that we must send out.  I apologize for the verbosity!

  • LCAP Advisory Group meeting (rescheduled) 5/10 at 4:30 PM
  • State testing (CAASPP) for 11th grade on 5/10 and 5/11
  • FitnessGram for 9th grade (5/10)
  • Sex Ed for 10th grade (5/10)
  • Sex Ed for 9th grade (5/11)
  • Mental Health Services Notice
  • Board Meeting, 5/11 at 4:30 PM (see calendar 72 hours prior to meeting for agenda)
  • 12th grade camping trip at South Carlsbad State Beach, 5/26 (details to follow later)

LCAP Advisory Group Meeting (rescheduled) 5/10 at 4:30 PM

Sorry for sending out the reminder for the LCAP Advisory Group Meeting so late yesterday.  I forgot our emails get queued and don't get delivered immediately.  Thank you to those of you who tried to join us late.  Join us next week on Zoom here.

State testing (CAASPP) for 11th grade on 5/10 and 5/11

State testing is extremely important for a charter school like ours because the test results of our small number of 11th graders can determine whether or not our school continues to exist.  With such a small 11th grade class, even one student not trying on the test can make the difference.  I can point to the exact students who made a difference for us 2 years ago when we were up for renewal.  Their work ethic and their love of our school is why all of us still get to call SET home today.  11th graders, all we ask is that you try your best.  There is nothing that you can study for, and we don't want you to be stressed about the test.  As long as you do your best, the school will be fine.

Keep in mind that doing well on the test will allow you to skip placement exams at UC, State, and community colleges.  You might as well do well now so that you don't have to take a placement exam later!

The following notice is from Ms. Burge, our testing coordinator:

Where: Assigned testing classroom

When: May 10th and May 11th from 8:00 am - 12:00 pm.

Why: To measure student progress in reading and math.

Dear parents,

Next week, on May 10th and 11th, we will administer the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) to 11th-grade students. 11th graders must report to their assigned classroom at 8:00 am on the testing day. Testing classroom assignments will be posted at the school entrance on testing day. Junior students will take reading and math tests aligned with the California State Standards. Students will have only one opportunity to take the test. The purpose of administering the CAASPP is to measure our students’ progress in ELA/mathematics in comparison to their same-age peers across the state. It is vital that students arrive at school on time for testing and give their best effort while completing the test.

If you have any questions, please reach out to chelse...@sethigh.org

FitnessGram for 9th grade (5/10)

The following notice is from Ms. Burge, our testing coordinator:

What: FitnessGram physical fitness testing

Where: SET campus

When: May 10th at 8:00 am.

Why: To measure student physical fitness levels

Dear parents,

Next week, on May 10th, we will administer the FitnessGram to 9th-grade students. 9th graders must report to their assigned classroom at 8:00 am on the testing day, and they will be called down to walk to the park. Students will have only one opportunity to take the test. The purpose of administering the FitnessGram is to measure our students’ progress in physical fitness levels in comparison to their same-age peers across the state. It is vital that students arrive at school on time for testing and give their best effort while completing the test.

If you have any questions, please reach out to chelse...@sethigh.org

Sex Ed for 9th and 10th grade

The following is a standard letter that all California public schools must send out to parents prior to teaching Sex Ed:

Dear Parent/Guardian:

California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act, requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school or junior high school and once in high school, starting in grade 7.

Instruction must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians or other trusted adults about human sexuality. Instruction must be medically accurate, age appropriate and inclusive of all students. It must include the following:

    • Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment
    • Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about value of delaying sexual activity
    • Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS
    • Information about accessing resources for sexual and reproductive health care
    • Information about pregnancy, including FDA approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law
    • Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes
    • Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations

You can examine the curriculum that we will be using here. If you have questions, please see the teacher or principal. You can view the California Healthy Youth Act (California Education Code Sections 51930-51939) here.

The instruction will be provided by Michelle McCurdy, MSN,RN,FNP-BC, Director of Student Health Clinic, City College

State law allows you to remove your student from this instruction. If you do not want your student to participate in comprehensive sexual health or HIV prevention education, please give a written request to the School for Entrepreneurship and Technology by May 9, 2022.

Sincerely,

Neil McCurdy
Principal

Mental Health Services Notice

California Assembly Bill 2022 requires schools to notify pupils and parents or guardians of pupils of how to initiate access to available pupil mental health services on campus or in the community. Please see the attached letter to parents regarding the information on how to access pupil mental health services.

Thanks everyone!

Dr. McCurdy