Digest of Daily Announcements

Anwar Shahid

Jan 23, 2023, 10:34:34 AM1/23/23
to EntireSEHS_SchoolCommunity

Digest of Daily Announcements

Swim & Dive

Come support our senior swimmers at Cleveland State University this week. The Swim and Dive team take on Ignatius at 6:30 this Friday, January 27th

Flight Magazine

"Flight Magazine is St. Edward High School's annual literary and creative arts magazine. We are in production for Volume 69 to be printed in the Spring.  If you are a writer, poet, playwright, screenwriter, artist, painter, sculptor, digital illustrator, or photographer, consider sending high-res photos of your work or editable files to Mr. Urban at mur...@sehs.net for consideration for publication.  Let your work take FLIGHT!"

Faith Fridays

Join us for our next Faith Friday discussion, this Friday during community period in the Kahl board room! Come for a great discussion and get some lunch!

Trash Talkers

The Trash Talkers, St. Edward High School's own bucket-band, is still looking for more members! Come be a part of this exciting performance group and build your drumming skills - email us at trasht...@sehs.net or show up to rehearsal in room 200 on Wednesday at 4:00 P.M.

Symphonic Band

This coming Sunday at 7:00 P.M., the St. Edward Symphonic Band will be performing at Severance Music Center. Tickets are still available in the Music Room office - support the arts and come out to hear some beautiful music in one of the best concert venues in the United States!

JV Wrestling

Congratulations to Sophomore Brendan Schlegal , Sophomore Andrew Henderson , and Freshman Gage Bunch for winning the Strongsville Tournament on Saturday. Also placing, Sophomores Kheyden King and Jaden Woods placing 3rd and Freshman Bo Barney placing 4th.

Wrestling Green Team

Last Friday at the Twinsburg Duals, the Green Team went 4 and 1 in Duals.

Knights of the Tiber / State Latin Convention

Calling all Knights--and any other Latin Eagles who dream of Latin glory: Join fellow Knights the weekend of March 10-12 in Columbus as together we take part in the 72nd State Latin Convention sponsored by the Ohio Junior Classical League! That's right; you--yes, you!--can be part of what promises to be another exciting adventure as Eagle Knights take on the fiercest competition in all the state. Watch this year's Advanced Latin Certamen team, including your IB Year 1 cohort--who are the reigning state champs--defend their two-time state title against such perennial state Certamen powerhouses as St. Xavier, Seven Hills, Summit Country Day, & northeast Ohio's very own Shaker Heights High! Eager to go? A $100 first payment is due this Friday, Jan. 27. See Mr. Cavoli or Mr. Knittel for details, & let's go, Eagles!

Campus Ministry

Tuesday morning mass is starting up again this Tuesday, Jan. 24th at 8:10 am! Join us in the chapel to start the day the best way we can, receiving Jesus in the Eucharist!

9-12 Grade Parents

Due to an exponential increase in students carrying medication on their person, medications being sent in without the proper paperwork, and students calling parents to pick them up due to illness, but not visiting the clinic, below you will find a few reminders regarding these policies and procedures directly from the Student Handbook.

As stated on pages 34-36 of the handbook:

HEALTH SERVICES (CLINIC) Health Services is open during the school day for any student who becomes ill or injured. A nurse is on duty for this purpose. The school assumes responsibility only until the parent, guardian or family physician is notified. The clinic is located in the main office wing. In the nurse’s absence, students are to report to the Deans of Student Life and Culture. Students may not leave school due to illness without permission from the school nurse and/or Deans of Student Life and Culture.

ILLNESS GUIDELINES We ask that if your child exhibits ANY of these symptoms (and they may be concurrent or sequential), you keep your child home. Symptoms requiring child to stay home or removal of child from school: • At least 24 hours after they no longer have a fever (less than 100 degrees) or signs of a fever (chills, feeling very warm, flushed appearance, or sweating) without the use of fever-reducing medicine. • 24 hours after vomiting and diarrhea. Note: Please do not bring your child to school if he has vomited in the night. • Any undiagnosed skin rash ( rashes need to be verified by your doctor that they are non-contagious; a doctor’s note is needed) • Conjunctivitis (pink eye) until 24 hours after treatment with medicine • Frequent scratching of body or scalp

MEDICATIONS: The clinic staff, by state law, cannot and will not dispense medication, either prescription or non-prescription unless completed authorization forms from the student, parent/guardian and doctor are signed and dated and on file in the clinic. The information must state: • Name of medication • Dosage (in milligrams or milliliters) • Time to be administered The medication must be sent in the original prescription bottle with the pharmacy label matching the MD’s and parent order. All medications will be kept locked in the clinic. St. Edward High School reserves the right to send a student home if his behavior under medication is a cause for concern. Non-prescription drugs such as Advil, Tylenol or Maalox must be sent in the original-unopened container. Additionally, the clinic must be informed of any prescription medication the student is taking. This should be noted on the emergency medical authorization in Final Forms that is filled out at the beginning of each school year. This information is most helpful in allowing the nurse to assess any symptoms or side effects that may present themselves. Students with asthma are permitted to carry their inhalers. A consent form signed by both parent and medical doctor must be on file in the clinic. Please contact the clinic for this important form. Students with injuries requiring a cast, splint, crutches, etc., should provide the clinic with a doctor’s note stating what activity is to be restricted and the length of time. Forms to administer medication can be obtained from the nurse. Please contact the clinic at 216 221-3776 x 227 / FAX # 216 221-4609 for additional information.

To reiterate: ALL medication, prescription and nonprescription, is to be kept in a locked cabinet in the clinic, not on the student. The only exceptions are inhalers and epi-pens, with physician approval.  Below is the link to the medication administration form that is to be completed by the physician and signed by both the parent and physician before any medication (prescription or non-prescription) can be administered: https://www.sehs.net/_files/ugd/bde749_a063b2318c65449896147a1adf39df14.pdf

--

Anwar Shahid
Dean of Student Life and Culture

(216)221-3776 x235

Matthew Wallenhorst

Jan 30, 2023, 4:01:51 PM1/30/23

National Letter of Intent Ceremony

Gentlemen, Mon 1/30 is the deadline to submit your intent to participate in the Feb. 1st National Signing Day Celebration, at St. Edward. Please fill out the form: https://forms.gle/PwYDxqe3UT9675mH6   If you intend to be a part of the ceremony. ?'s - mf...@sehs.net

Health Clinic

Hello from the clinic!  Have you completed your annual staff training that was sent out in November?  Are you one of the 46 who haven't stopped by the clinic yet to sign off on completing the mandatory, state-mandated training and testing out on the Epi-Pen administration?  If so, this message is for you!  Come visit me in the clinic today!!!  Thank you and have a great day!!!!!

Sociedad de Hispanica

Attention members of the Sociedad!  This Friday, February 3 is a meeting day!  We'll see you in room 214 during community B to plan for our upcoming (food-related!) activities.  Grab your lunch and head over.  Hasta entonces

Volleyball Tryouts

 VOLLEYBALL TRY-OUTS:

On Monday, February 20th (no school that day) We will have try-outs in the main gym (2:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M.) for new volleyball players only.  Tryouts will continue for all volleyball players on Tuesday, the 21st, Wednesday the 22nd, and Thursday the 23rd from 3:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M. in the Student Activity center.  If you are interested in joining our winning program and can not make it on the 20th of February for the first day of try-outs, please email Coach Corrigan ncor...@sehs.net and let me know.  If you have any questions or concerns about joining the program, please feel free to email me.

--
Matt Wallenhorst '05