Digest of Daily Announcements

Wallenhorst, Matthew

Mar 28, 2022, 10:07:21 PM3/28/22

Job Opportunities

·       Looking for a job?  Forest City Shuffleboard is looking for some help.

Line cook / dishwasher position at Forest City Shuffleboard Kitchen:  Lively environment, competitive pay, experience not required. Located at 45th and Lorain Ave in Ohio City neighborhood.  Looking for nights and or weekends; flexible scheduling available.  Apply at this link (Forest City Shuffleboard Arena & Bar | Shuffleboard - Cleveland, Ohio) or email j...@forestcityshuffle.com (class of 04) for more info

·       Mabel’s BBQ is looking for help at their new location in Woodmere, check the flyer by the Dean’s Office for more information

·       Edgewater Marina is looking for workers this summer:  Looking for an enthusiastic individual who can help in various duties.  Part Time or Full Time Available. Must have reliable transportation.  Must work evenings and weekends

·       Lakewood Recreation: Looking for a great summer job?  Lakewood Recreation is now hiring enthusiastic and responsible students for summer jobs as lifeguards, pool attendants, baseball scorers and more!  Complete an application at www.lakewoodrecreation.com/summerjobs    Applications preferred by March 31, 2022.  Questions?  Please email in...@lakewoodrecreation.com

·       Student Grounds crew job

Do you like working outside? Interested in Landscaping? Take pride in making our school campus look good? Apply for a position on the Grounds Crew here at St. Ed's. You will help with mowing, edging, mulching, weeding, pruning and all things that help keep our outside spaces looking good. The job is before or after school and hours are flexible. There are plenty of hours available and we'll work around your activities schedule. We will need crew members for summer break to work as much as 40hrs/week also. You may direct any questions and interest in applying to jta...@sehs.net

Kairos Sign-ups

·       Juniors and Seniors- remember the deadline to sign up for Kairos is this Thursday, March 31. E-mail or see Ms. White with any questions. Remember, scholarships are available!

National Honor Society Applications

·       Sophomores and juniors:   This is a reminder that NHS information sheets are due on turnitin by the end of school on Tuesday. If you have any questions, please see Mr. Allen in room 124.

Garden Club

·       Hey Growers!  Mother Nature is having a good laugh at us this week! So on Tuesday we will meet indoors, in room 216 to design the garden for this year and decide where to plant what. Bring your lunch, we'll start at 12:10 pm.

Wings Sign Ups

·       Student Volunteers Needed at WINGS on April 30!  The St. Ed's Wings Auction is Saturday, April 30 at St. Ed's!  It's the school's main fundraiser of the year and a whole lot of fun!  Every EDSMAN benefits from this event!  Each year, the guests comment on how awesome the Student Volunteers are and we need your help to make this year's event special and successful!  The timeframe is generally from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. However, we will confirm this and provide more specifics as we get closer to the date of the event.  Please sign up today by clicking on the link Mr. Wallenhorst sent out! Go Eagles!

French Club

·       We will have a brief meeting during the Community Period B on Wednesday, March 30 to discuss some ideas for the cooking lesson with the St. Andre Scholars on April 12. Please stop by Rm. 103 around 12:00 to share your best French-inspired recipes! Also, get ready for our field trip to the CIFF this Friday, April 1. À bientôt!

Science Olympiad

Science Olympiad Team: State Team mandatory meeting, community period A tomorrow (Tuesday, 3/29). We have less than 2 weeks for our state competition.

--
Matt Wallenhorst '05
Associate Dean of Student Life and Leadership

Wallenhorst, Matthew

Apr 4, 2022, 2:12:11 PM4/4/22

[...]

·       Neubert Painting is looking for help this summer.  The Job would be 40-45 hours a week with starting pay at $17.00 to $19.00 an hour.  Check out the Flyer outside of the Dean’s Office for more information

·       We are looking for individuals who are at least eighteen years old, who are looking for exciting and rewarding summer jobs. Camp Christopher is currently hiring enthusiastic camp counselors to lead our campers through all camp activities including archery, crafts, swimming, challenge course, horseback riding, hiking, fishing, and more! We strive to help others grow through Nature, Community, and Spirit.

·       Camp Christopher is looking for camp counselors and are hiring for both our overnight and day camp programs. This is a great work opportunity for students, whether they continue into higher education or enter into the workforce. https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CAT1012CACSC/JobBoard/41d1a852-e913-429a-93ff-1d024bc3206d/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=4ee2c25e-ab27-41e8-bd08-47c6b282499f

Senior Attendance Awards

·       Attention Seniors:  If you think you have perfect attendance, please stop by the attendance office and give your name to Mrs. Fillar.

Garden Club

·       Come help get the school garden ready for the season. Starting April 4, we'll be out there from 3-5pm on Mondays, unless it's pouring rain. All are welcome! No previous experience required!  Regular Garden Club meetings are still during Community Period on A days.  See Mrs hardin in room 216 with any questions.

Wings Sign Ups

·       Student Volunteers Needed at WINGS on April 30!  The St. Ed's Wings Auction is Saturday, April 30 at St. Ed's!  It's the school's main fundraiser of the year and a whole lot of fun!  Every EDSMAN benefits from this event!  Each year, the guests comment on how awesome the Student Volunteers are and we need your help to make this year's event special and successful!  The timeframe is generally from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. However, we will confirm this and provide more specifics as we get closer to the date of the event.  Please sign up today by clicking on the link Mr. Wallenhorst sent out! Go Eagles!

French Club

·       We will meet during Community Period B on Thursday, April 7 in Rm. 103. We will learn about some French Easter traditions such as ''les cloches de Pâques''. Il y aura des choses à grignoter aussi. À bientôt!

Science Olympiad

·       This is our last week to prepare for our State Competition which will take place this Friday & Saturday (4/8 & 4/9). Everyone including alternates on the State Team will meet community period (mandatory) on Wednesday, 4/6, at 12:10pm (A day). Everyone should be working on their events everyday this week. L102 is open during enrichment period, community period and after school until at least 4pm every day this week. The team will prepare & compete both Friday and Saturday. All building events should have multiple trials this week.

Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica:

·       Looking for activities to complete your SHH requirement for second semester?  Looking for NHS service hours? Sign up to help with the alfombra that the S.A.L.S.A. club is working on!  Volunteers are needed today, tomorrow, and Wednesday after school in the Kahl Center.  Please see Ms. Turella or Matt Gray if you have any questions.  We'll meet as a large group on Thursday, April 7th at 8:00 AM to discuss a few important agenda items and to start planning for next year.

Wallenhorst, Matthew

Apr 12, 2022, 7:49:38 AM4/12/22

Job Opportunities

[...]

National Honor Society

·       NHS will meet at the start of community period on Tuesday, April 12 in the Chapel.

Garden Club

·       Looking for a way to directly impact your local community? Come join us in  the garden from 3-5 on Mondays throughout the rest of the school year. There is lots of work to be done getting the soil prepped and seeds planted in preparation for the growing season. No experience required.

Wings Sign Ups

·       Student Volunteers Needed at WINGS on April 30!  The St. Ed's Wings Auction is Saturday, April 30 at St. Ed's!  It's the school's main fundraiser of the year and a whole lot of fun!  Every EDSMAN benefits from this event!  Each year, the guests comment on how awesome the Student Volunteers are and we need your help to make this year's event special and successful!  The timeframe is generally from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. However, we will confirm this and provide more specifics as we get closer to the date of the event.  Please sign up today by clicking on the link Mr. Wallenhorst sent out! Go Eagles!

Model UN

·       Model UN Appointments:  Junior Josh Butler has been appointed Student MUN President of St Edward High School's Model UN Club for the Academic Year 2022-23 (succeeding Senior Sam Richardson). Fellow Juniors Sam Clemente, Jaden Stainforth, Rob Torres and Eric Vaziri are Joint Deputy Presidents.  Juniors Brian Clark and William Perrins have been appointed Joint Secretaries-General of CLEIMUN23 ( the St Ed's International MUN Conference to be held on site in February).  Fellow Juniors Josh Butler, Eric Vaziri and Jaden Stainforth have been appointed as Joint Deputy Secretaries-General, along with Frank Bradshaw from Archbishop Hoban HS.  Congratulations to all of these fine young Edsmen and thank you to our outgoing Senior Leaders!

·       MUN going forward:  This week's scheduled MUN Training Session  (Wednesday CP F) will NOT take place because of the SAT testing taking place on campus that day.  Pre-Planning for two MUN International Trips in 2023 will start after the Easter Break - look out for details about THIMUN23 (January) and HMUN23 (March).

·       Start thinking about other International opportunities:  After Easter, pre-planning for a number of    international opportunities will be published, as outlined here: France Student Exchange (November 2022) South Africa Cultural Tour (March/April 2023)  New Zealand Student Exchange (May/June 2023)  Battlefields III Trip (July 2023)  Israel & Dubai (December 2023-January 2024)  More Anon!!

Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica:

·       Please check your email from April 7th and respond to both surveys

·       Our next event is on Wednesday, April 20th at 8:00 AM (garden with Hardin).  We will also take our group photo that day as well (see the email/survey from April 7th for more info).

Wallenhorst, Matthew

Apr 19, 2022, 4:15:39 PM4/19/22

Job Opportunities

[...]

International Trips

·       Start thinking about other International opportunities:  Pre-planning for a number of international opportunities will be published, as outlined here: France Student Exchange (November 2022) South Africa Cultural Tour (March/April 2023)  New Zealand Student Exchange (May/June 2023)  Battlefields III Trip (July 2023)  Israel & Dubai (December 2023-January 2024)  More Anon!!

Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica:

·       There is a meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) at 8:00 AM.  Please be prompt so we can get started right away with our gardening project Please also check your email for the survey links and the info about our group photo.

Basketball Meeting

·       Any Junior, Sophomore, or Freshman interested in playing basketball next year- there is a meeting this Thursday immediately following school in the main gym.  The meeting will cover all off-season scheduling.  Any questions please see Coach Flannery.

Wallenhorst, Matthew

Apr 25, 2022, 4:26:39 PM4/25/22

Job Opportunities

[...]

·       Houlihan’s in Westlake is looking for help to work at their restaurant.  You can contact Mr. Jacob Nagy at  jn...@houlihans.com or 440-808-9090 to call so he can walk you through the process.

Environmental Club

·       Please answer the survey by Wednesday. We will be drawing out prices!  Environmental club meeting: Wednesday. Community period A by the garden. We will set up our bird feeding station! Join us!

Knights of the Tiber

·       Just a reminder that today's KOT meeting during community period will include campaign speeches & election for next year's Cursus Honorum (aka KOT exec board) as well as an update on plans to attend the National Latin Convention July 24-29 in Lafayette, Louisiana. Please plan to attend, & if you wish to run for any elected office, be sure to have a campaign speech ready.

Performing Arts Concert

·       Next week the performing arts department will be giving their final concert of the 2021-2022 school year at 7:00 P.M. in the Varsity Gym on Wednesday 5/4/22. The Jazz Combo, String Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, Choir, and Symphonic Band will perform a wide variety of music focused on more popular tunes, including selections from Jersey Boys, Harry Potter, The Mandalorian, and much, much more!  Come out to support the seniors as they perform at St. Ed's one last time.  We hope to see you there!

French Club

·       We will meet during Community Period B on Thursday, April 28 in Rm. 103 for a stinky cheese challenge! :-) À bientôt!

Science Olympiad

·       Captains Joey Baker and Matt Gray led the Science Olympiad Team to its highest placement ever at the State Tournament finishing 7th overall. The following students placed in the top 10 in their categories. Top 10 finishes:

·       5th Place

Detector Building: Adam Wilczewski / Jacob Esteves

·       6th Place

Anatomy & Physiology: Sam Richardson / Minjun Kim

Green Generation: Matt Gray / Sam Richardson

·       7th Place

Remote Sensing: Joey Baker / Jacob Esteves

WiFi Lab: Jacob Esteves / Adam Wilczewski

Ping Pong Parachute: Braeden Amos / John Thompson

Trajectory: Reniel Gall / Andrew Elturk / Michael Fink

·       8th Place

Codebusters: John Thompson / Reniel Gall / Braeden Amos

·       9th Place

Cell Biology: Sam Richardson / Owen Fox

It's About Time: Adam Wilczewski / Owen Fox

Write It Do It: John Thompson / Mark Hauptman

·       10th Place

Disease Detectives: Matt Gray / Sam Richardson

Dynamic Planet: Joey Baker / Minjun Kim

Wallenhorst, Matthew

May 2, 2022, 2:28:57 PM5/2/22

Job Opportunities

[...]

·       NHS will meet in the chapel on Tuesday, May 3 at 12:20.

Cinco de Mayo Celebration

·       Join the S.A.L.S.A. club in celebrating Cinco de Mayo in the Commons after school this Thursday (5 de mayo) from 3:00 - 4:00 PM.  There will be Latinx music, a piñata, a pepper-eating contest, and food!

Performing Arts Concert

·       This Wednesday the performing arts department will be giving their final concert of the 2021-2022 school year at 7:00 P.M. in the Varsity Gym on Wednesday 5/4/22. The Jazz Combo, String Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, Choir, and Symphonic Band will perform a wide variety of music focused on more popular tunes, including selections from Jersey Boys, Harry Potter, The Mandalorian, and much, much more!  Come out to support the seniors as they perform at St. Ed's one last time.  We hope to see you there!

Spanish NHS

·       There will be a MANDATORY meeting for all juniors and sophomores in the society during the next B day (Monday, May 9).  You may elect to come to the morning meeting during enrichment period or the afternoon meeting during community period BUT you must attend one of these sessions.See Mrs. Quinn if you have questions.

Magic the Gathering

·       The Magic the Gathering Club will be hosting a booster draft tournament on May 24th at 1:00 P.M. in the Old Cafeteria. Entry is free, there will be prizes!  Sign up for the tournament and get more info about booster drafting here: https://forms.gle/btwFVzyfgiVUC7tGA

Wallenhorst, Matthew

May 9, 2022, 5:13:19 PM5/9/22

Job Opportunities

·       Do you like working outside? Interested in Landscaping? Take pride in making our school campus look good? Apply for a position on the Grounds Crew here at St. Ed's. You will help with mowing, edging, mulching, weeding, pruning and all things that help keep our outside spaces looking good. The job is before or after school and hours are flexible. There are plenty of hours available and we'll work around your activities schedule. We will need crew members for summer break to work as much as 40hrs/week also. You may direct any questions and interest in applying to jta...@sehs.net

·       St. Vitus Church is looking for a full time maintenance assistant.  The pay would be $15 an hour and if you are interested, you can ask Mr. Kuhar for more details.

Get the Edge Counselor

·       If you are interested in applying to be a Counselor for the Get the Edge camp this summer, please complete the online application by Friday, May 13.  Stop by the Office of Admission in Room 101, if you have any questions.

FCA

·       We will host the ladies St Joseph Academy this Thursday at 7:30 before school starts as they prepare to launch their first FCA!  Come join us for the seniors' last FCA.  We will share a hot breakfast, hear an encouraging message, and pray for stuff!  We will be cooking outside on the Palisin outside patio.

Model UN

·       MUN is FUN, as ever - we meet for our final session of the year THIS FRIDAY (CP F) in L201 from 12:10 to 12:40.  There are planning issues to discuss for next year - and opportunities aplenty for you to consider. We  also will have a Guest Speaker talking about "Best Delegate" - and the wider MUNiverse beyond NE Ohio!  MUNers - please make every effort to be there!

Garden Club

·       Hey Growers!  Join us outside in the garden after school on Mondays from 3-5. It's finally warm enough to transplant some veggies, and we've got some work to do on the chicken coop!  All are welcome; no experience necessary. See Mrs Hardin (room 216) with any questions.

Spanish NHS

·       Last week there was an email about a MANDATORY meeting for all juniors and sophomores.  Due to IB and AP testing, it becomes easier to move the meeting to the following B day, Tuesday, the 17th.  Please plan to come to either the morning meeting during enrichment period or the afternoon meeting during community period (you may bring your lunch).  BUT you must attend one of these sessions.  Also - please sign up for a slot to water the veggies :)  Thank you!

Magic the Gathering

·       The Magic the Gathering Club will be hosting a booster draft tournament on May 24th at 1:00 P.M. in the Old Cafeteria. Entry is free, there will be prizes!  Sign up for the tournament and get more info about booster drafting here: https://forms.gle/btwFVzyfgiVUC7tGA

Kahl Center This Week

·       Wednesday morning, the Kahl Center Atrium will be closed from 7:45am until completion of the AP Spanish Exam, which is happening in the Board room.

·       Thursday, the Atrium will be closed for Senior Cap and Gown pick up.  Thank you!