Hello from UKSEDS

Ryan Laird

May 21, 2012, 9:54:40 PM5/21/12
to seds-...@seds.org, mas...@tx.technion.ac.il, kora...@hotmail.com, avital...@yahoo.co.uk, isra...@yahoo.com, intern...@ukseds.org
Dear SEDS Israel/Maslul,

We’d like to say hello from the United Kingdom. We are currently in search of our sister SEDS groups and have found your details in relation to SEDS Israel/Maslul .

We are very keen to exchange information and ideas, in the hope that we will better connect the SEDS network.

At our annual conference last month we had video presentations by SEDS-USA and SEDS-India. We very much hope that we can extend this to you and other SEDS groups as we build on this network.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Ryan Laird, Secretary of UKSEDS
on behalf of UKSEDS Committee
Ryan J. M. Laird MPhys(Hons) FRAS MBIS AMinstP AMRAeS

Secretary of UKSEDS (United Kingdom Students for the Exploration and Development of Space)
c/o British Interplanetary Society,
27/29 South Lambeth Road,
London,
SW8 ISZ
United Kingdom

Web: http://ukseds.org/
Twitter: @ukseds
Facebook: "UKSEDS"

Ryan Laird

Jun 24, 2012, 7:19:28 PM6/24/12
to seds-...@seds.org, kora...@hotmail.com, avital...@yahoo.co.uk
Dear SEDS-Israel,

We tried to contact you back in May about your SEDS chapter. Could you please tell me its current status? I was told by one correspondent, Daniel, that it is no longer in existence. Could you please confirm either way?

Many thanks,

Ryan Laird

Ryan J. M. Laird MPhys(Hons) FRAS MBIS AMinstP AMRAeS

Secretary of UKSEDS (United Kingdom Students for the Exploration and Development of Space)
c/o British Interplanetary Society,
27/29 South Lambeth Road,
London,
SW8 ISZ
United Kingdom

Web: http://ukseds.org/
Twitter: @ukseds
Facebook: "UKSEDS"

---

UK National Point of Contact
Space Generation Advisory Council

in support of the United Nations Programme on Space Applications

Inline images 1

Web: www.spacegeneration.org

UK page: http://spacegeneration.org/index.php/sgac-regions/europe/united-kingdom

----

Campaign for Dark Skies
Web:http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/index.html
Twitter: @cfds_uk
Facebook: "Campaign for Dark Skies"

Daniel Rockberger

Jul 4, 2012, 10:33:59 AM7/4/12
to Ryan Laird, seds-...@seds.org, kora...@hotmail.com, avital...@yahoo.co.uk
Hello all,

I am currently in Florida Teaching at the ISU SSP program.

I have never been involved in SEDS, i wonder like you who is the POC in Israel, or at least was the last one.

I think it is essential to re-establish this branch of SEDS.

Please tell me what Israel had in the past, who was in charge (could it have been Dana Lin?).

I will try to find someone new (and young!) to take this over.

Thanks

Daniel

Daniel Rockberger
MSc Space Studies,International Space University
BSc Mechanical Engineering,Technion
e-mail:danielro...@yahoo.co.uk
cell: 972-52-4484045

---

isra...@yahoo.com

Jul 4, 2012, 11:41:22 AM7/4/12
to secr...@ukseds.org, seds-...@seds.org, avital...@yahoo.co.uk, danielro...@yahoo.co.uk
Hi daniel
i was chairman of maslul (israel Seds) for most of its life, and cofounder, following me was lior.

I doubt ryan knows since UK seds were different ppl at the time (2006 met them)

anyway you can find info about maslul at the site www.maslul.org

talk to me if you want more info / find someone, however maslul punched a lot more than its weight, it had the first and only Israeli space magazine, in print!
Smaller goals might be better
Also at the time it was part of israel aerospace society which was very good.

Daniel Rosenberg

Sent from my Nokia phone

________________________________

Web: http://rjmlaird.co.uk/
Twitter: @rjmlaird

Secretary of UKSEDS (United Kingdom Students for the Exploration and Development of Space)
c/o British Interplanetary Society,
27/29 South Lambeth Road,
London,
SW8 ISZ
United Kingdom

Web: http://ukseds.org/
Twitter: @ukseds
Facebook: "UKSEDS"

---
UK National Point of Contact
Space Generation Advisory Council

in support of the United Nations Programme on Space Applications

----Campaign for Dark Skies
Web:http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/index.html
Twitter: @cfds_uk
Facebook: "Campaign for Dark Skies"

Daniel Rockberger

Jul 4, 2012, 2:25:42 PM7/4/12
to isra...@yahoo.com, secr...@ukseds.org, seds-...@seds.org, avital...@yahoo.co.uk
Hi Daniel

So who is in charge of it now?

I just want to make sure there is someone in Israel active in this important and useful organisation.

Daniel Rockberger

Ryan Laird

Jul 9, 2012, 11:08:10 AM7/9/12
to danielro...@yahoo.co.uk, seds-...@seds.org, avital...@yahoo.co.uk, Daniel R., thali...@hotmail.com, intern...@ukseds.org
Dear Daniel,

I'm afraid I know very little myself. I am based in the United Kingdom and Secretary of UKSEDS. I'm not aware of any current SEDS Israel points of contact. I found Daniel Rosenberg's e-mail as an old contact for Maslul (Israel SEDS), as well as Lior Avital. I also found a contact for Pavel Gershanik based in Israel.

If you are interested in re-establishing this SEDS branch, please get in touch with us at any point and we can share our ideas through the SEDS network. Perhaps Daniel, Lior or Pavel will be able to guide you for your country.

With regards to the international side, UKSEDS are hoping to re-establish the SEDS-Earth website, which has become rather out-of-date. We hope to strengthen the network, especially with the use of social media to exchange information:  http://earth.seds.org We're currently in touch with the Chair of SEDS-USA, Dan Pastuf to understand how best we can do this. The easiest consideration in my view is to set up a Facebook group or page, first of all. The website looks as though it may need a lot more work.

I understand certain international projects such as SEDSAT-II were initiated through SEDS but these (both figuratively- and literately-speaking) didn't get off the ground. Perhaps through a better means of communication we can launch some "live participatory project" - not a competition, but something for the average Tom, Dick or Harry on the street - something along the lines of satellites but not cubesats. Small and simple would be key. Some ideas were a "Pongsat" - a small, simple project that anyone can get involved in. It’s an easy and inexpensive way to get students excited about science and engineering. The next step could be a "Cansat" - a little bigger, but still more accessible than than large projects such as Cubesats.

I'd be happy to share any thoughts for activities with you in support of re-establishing a SEDS Israel. Please feel free to get in touch with us at: comm...@ukseds.org.

Best regards,

Ryan Laird
Ryan J. M. Laird MPhys(Hons) FRAS MBIS AMinstP AMRAeS

Secretary of UKSEDS (United Kingdom Students for the Exploration and Development of Space)
c/o British Interplanetary Society,
27/29 South Lambeth Road,
London,
SW8 ISZ
United Kingdom

Web: http://ukseds.org/
Twitter: @ukseds
Facebook: "UKSEDS"

---

UK National Point of Contact
Space Generation Advisory Council

in support of the United Nations Programme on Space Applications

Campaign for Dark Skies

Ryan Laird

Jul 10, 2012, 7:54:39 PM7/10/12
to danielro...@yahoo.co.uk, seds-...@seds.org, avital...@yahoo.co.uk, Daniel R., thali...@hotmail.com
Dear all,

I just saw this TED talk which might in fact be of interest to you all. It is a talk by Yonatan Winetraub who works for the Israeli Aerospace Industries' Space Division. He is the Founder and Co-CEO of Team SpaceIL  http://talentsearch.ted.com/video/Yonatan-Winetraub-Creating-a-mo;TEDAmsterdam

Best wishes,

Ryan

Daniel Rockberger

Jul 11, 2012, 3:35:18 PM7/11/12
to Ryan Laird, seds-...@seds.org, avital...@yahoo.co.uk, Daniel R., thali...@hotmail.com, intern...@ukseds.org
Dear Israel people,

Is the SEDS POC usually from the Technion Aerospace faculty?

anyway you can find info about maslul at the site http://www.maslul.org/

talk to me if you want more info / find someone, however maslul punched a lot more than its weight, it had the first and only Israeli space magazine, in print!
Smaller goals might be better
Also at the time it was part of israel aerospace society which was very good.

Daniel Rosenberg

Sent from my Nokia phone

l a

Jul 12, 2012, 4:38:31 AM7/12/12
to Daniel Rockberger, Ryan Laird, seds-...@seds.org, Daniel R., thali...@hotmail.com, intern...@ukseds.org
Hello
Daniel the answer is yes but to be honest , the chamber is not activate for several of years.
The reason is the lack of active members.
If you want to rebuild the chamber I will gladly give you all the information I have.

Lior

Danna Linn Barnett

Jul 12, 2012, 7:33:32 AM7/12/12
to l a, Daniel Rockberger, Ryan Laird, seds-...@seds.org, Daniel R., thali...@hotmail.com, intern...@ukseds.org, Maya Glickman, Deganit Paikovski, oshra g, Pini Gurfil
Hello to all,
Sorry for the (really) late reply.
Maslul (Israeli SEDS) was active for several years, Daniel, Lior, Maya and myself were chairperson at different years. Throughout the years we had contacts with other SEDS as well as connections to SGAC and the space generation. we had chapters in different universities, but I think all are dormant now since everyone graduated years ago.
I think there is potential for new activities in both the Technion as well as Tel Aviv University. I will ask around - possibly Deganit and Prof. Gurfil can check with their students.
Best Regards,
Danna

Daniel Rockberger

Jul 12, 2012, 2:08:25 PM7/12/12
to Danna Linn Barnett, l a, Ryan Laird, seds-...@seds.org, Daniel R., thali...@hotmail.com, intern...@ukseds.org, Maya Glickman, Deganit Paikovski, oshra g, Pini Gurfil
thanks Danna

I think Space Generation is also important to restart.