scoutfs mkfs failure

Kevin Buterbaugh

Sep 19, 2019, 4:10:29 PM9/19/19
to scoutfs developer email list
Hi,

Very (VERY) new to ScoutFS and trying to create my first simple one node, one device, ScoutFS filesystem.  Despite what step 2 of the Quick Start section on https://github.com/versity/scoutfs-kmod-dev says, I can't get ScoutFS to make a filesystem:

[root@somehost scoutfs]# scoutfs mkfs -Q 1 /dev/sdb1
failed to open '/dev/sdb1': Device or resource busy (16)
scoutfs: mkfs failed: Device or resource busy (16)
[root@somehost scoutfs]#

According to the aforementioned web page, the above should "Make a New Filesystem (destroys contents, no questions asked)".

On this host /dev/sdb1 is a local disk and it's not mounted according to /etc/mtab.  There's nothing in /etc/fstab for it, either.

Help, please!  Thanks...

Kevin

Ben McClelland

Sep 19, 2019, 4:43:57 PM9/19/19
to Kevin Buterbaugh, scoutfs developer email list
Hi Kevin,
I think you are on the right track with checking mtab, etc.  The EBUSY comes from not being able to open the block device exclusively because something else has this open already.  Could be udev or other system processes as well.  You can try lsof to see if that lists anything with /dev/sdb1 open.  It is also possible that you need to reboot if you just setup device partitions.

-Ben

Kevin Buterbaugh

Sep 19, 2019, 5:01:38 PM9/19/19
to scoutfs developer email list, kevin.bu...@gmail.com
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response, but I'm still having issues even after both rebooting the node (even though I had not just set up the partitions) and verify that lsof doesn't show anything accessing the device:

[root@somehost scoutfs]# alias scoutfs=$PWD/scoutfs-utils-dev/src/scoutfs
[root@somehost scoutfs]# lsof /dev/sdb1
[root@somehost scoutfs]# scoutfs mkfs -Q 1 /dev/sdb1
failed to open '/dev/sdb1': Device or resource busy (16)
scoutfs: mkfs failed: Device or resource busy (16)
[root@somehost scoutfs]# uptime
 15:03:09 up 4 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.52, 0.28
[root@somehost scoutfs]#

I also don't *think* it's udev causing the problem because if I "systemctl stop systemd-udevd" I still get the same error.  Thanks...

Kevin

On Sep 19, 2019, at 1:10 PM, Kevin Buterbaugh <kevin.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Very (VERY) new to ScoutFS and trying to create my first simple one node, one device, ScoutFS filesystem.  Despite what step 2 of the Quick Start section on https://github.com/versity/scoutfs-kmod-dev says, I can't get ScoutFS to make a filesystem:

[root@somehost scoutfs]# scoutfs mkfs -Q 1 /dev/sdb1
failed to open '/dev/sdb1': Device or resource busy (16)
scoutfs: mkfs failed: Device or resource busy (16)
[root@somehost scoutfs]#

According to the aforementioned web page, the above should "Make a New Filesystem (destroys contents, no questions asked)".

On this host /dev/sdb1 is a local disk and it's not mounted according to /etc/mtab.  There's nothing in /etc/fstab for it, either.

Help, please!  Thanks...

Kevin

Kevin Buterbaugh

Sep 19, 2019, 5:34:42 PM9/19/19
to scoutfs developer email list
Hi All,

Figured it out ... there was an (unused) mdadm software RAID array that included /dev/sdb1.  I deleted the array and now "scoutfs mkfs" works.  Thanks...

Kevin