SciTokens XrootD + Docker Hack-a-thon

Nicole Pontaza

Sep 21, 2018, 2:22:59 PM9/21/18
to SciTokens Discussion
Hi everyone,

As mentioned in the previous group meeting, I am open to making this venture into a hackathon-esque opportunity.
I believe I was told we have some sort of screen-sharing capabilities for this as well. More details to come as we get more people to mark their availability!

I created a Doodle poll here so we can see when our times are most aligned with one another's: https://doodle.com/poll/e2gru3mfg8wwiunz

Derek Weitzel

Sep 21, 2018, 2:47:29 PM9/21/18
to Nicole Pontaza, SciTokens Discussion
Hi Nicole,

I filled out my availability. As you can see, I’m pretty available.

I can also setup a zoom meeting so we can screen share as necessary.

-Derek
> --

signature.asc

Nicole Pontaza

Sep 22, 2018, 3:01:19 PM9/22/18
to SciTokens Discussion, pont...@illinois.edu
Ok, thank you everyone for filling your availability! I think I'm going to close this as I believe everyone that is participating has already marked their open hours? I'll close this poll and have a final time by Sunday at noon.
Derek, sounds good!

-Nicole

Nicole Pontaza

Sep 23, 2018, 3:41:48 PM9/23/18
to SciTokens Discussion, pont...@illinois.edu
Looks like we are all set up for Thursday September 27 from 2-5pm! Derek, will you be posting the link to zoom here?

Derek Weitzel

Sep 26, 2018, 10:58:14 AM9/26/18
to Nicole Pontaza, SciTokens Discussion, Withers, Alexander
Hi Nicole,

Has Alex been able to get you a server to run this?

-Derek

> On Sep 24, 2018, at 10:53 AM, Derek Weitzel <dwei...@cse.unl.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Nicole,
>
> Sounds good to me. Here is the zoom link:
> https://unl.zoom.us/j/539107192
>
> Lets layout what we want from this hack-a-thon. Here is the goals I would like to have completed:
>
> - A docker container with xrootd-scitokens that “just works”. Similar in operation to nginx-scitokens docker container
> - A clear README for xrootd-scitokens, including instructions for the the above docker container.
>
> I think this has been brought up before, but some of the things you will need BEFORE Thursday:
>
> - A host that you can run docker.
> - The same host needs a public IP address if you want us to help
> - The host will need a public DNS name
> - The host needs to be open to the world on port 80 & 443, no firewalls blocking access.
> - The host will need host certs, but we can do that easily with letsencrypt the day of if Docker works
>

> I would hope that Alex can set you up with a host that can do all of this. If not, I can set you up with a temporary host here at Nebraska.
>
> -Derek

Withers, Alexander

Sep 26, 2018, 11:47:03 AM9/26/18
to Derek Weitzel, Pontaza, Nicole, SciTokens Discussion
Hi Derek,

We have VMs (and can easily deploy more) that meet the requirements below. I’m waiting to hear back from Nicole about which specific one she wants to use.

thanks,
Alex

Nicole Pontaza

Sep 26, 2018, 4:31:42 PM9/26/18
to SciTokens Discussion, djw...@gmail.com, pont...@illinois.edu
Hi All,

I just got around to setting it up properly. I'm trying to make it accessible to http/https right now but let me know if what I did isn't working. I can't get the DNS name to stick but I'm still working on it.
IP: 141.142.236.41
$ sudo ufw status

To                         Action      From

--                         ------      ----

22                         ALLOW       Anywhere

80/tcp                     ALLOW       Anywhere

443/tcp                    ALLOW       Anywhere

22 (v6)                    ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)

80/tcp (v6)                ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)

443/tcp (v6)               ALLOW       Anywhere (v6)

And docker:

docker0   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:42:47:30:8d:c6

          inet addr:172.17.0.1  Bcast:172.17.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Any advice on how to properly make a public DNS name?

-Nicole

Nicole Pontaza

Sep 26, 2018, 4:33:38 PM9/26/18
to SciTokens Discussion, djw...@gmail.com, pont...@illinois.edu
So sorry, when I pasted that it looked normal on preview. Basically, docker is up and it looks like I'm accepting 80 and 443 connections.

Nicole Pontaza

Sep 26, 2018, 4:38:46 PM9/26/18
to SciTokens Discussion, djw...@gmail.com, pont...@illinois.edu
Sorry again, I messed up the /etc/hostname file, so it's back to normal. The DNS name is: vt01
Everything should be up. I'll try to look into the host certs but tell me if you can't ping it.

Withers, Alexander

Sep 26, 2018, 4:40:09 PM9/26/18
to Pontaza, Nicole, SciTokens Discussion, djw...@gmail.com
just to clarify:  vt01.security.ncsa.illinois.edu is the FQDN

Thanks,
Alex

Jeff Gaynor

Sep 27, 2018, 10:12:05 AM9/27/18
to SciTokens Discussion, Pontaza, Nicole, djw...@gmail.com
I will be there today, but I have a last minute meeting until 2:30 so
will be a wee bit late.

Jeff

Jeff Gaynor

Sep 27, 2018, 2:53:49 PM9/27/18