Choosing between ROR and the Crossref Funder Registry for a repository integration

Kelly Stathis

Dec 8, 2021, 1:12:27 PM12/8/21
to ROR Tech Support

Hi all,

I work with a data repository that is integrating ROR IDs for author affiliations. We were also planning on using Crossref Funder Registry IDs for funding information. However, we realized that there is sufficient overlap between the registries that we could use ROR for funding information too, which would be easier for us to implement.

For those using PIDs for funders:

  • Has anyone else opted to use ROR IDs for funders in their metadata?
  • What factors influenced your decision between ROR and the Crossref Funder Registry?

Thank you!

Kelly

--

Kelly Stathis (they/them, elle)

Discovery and Metadata Coordinator | Coordonnatrice de la découverte et des métadonnées

Digital Research Alliance of Canada | Alliance de recherche numérique du Canada

alliancecan.com

Ed Pentz

Dec 15, 2021, 7:51:30 AM12/15/21
to ROR Tech Support, kelly....@engagedri.ca
Hi Kelly

I think using ROR IDs is the best option - or you could use both although that's more work. Eventually, the Crossref Funder Registry will be merged into ROR. This isn't going to happen anytime soon (the next couple of years) because it's embedded in publisher workflows. This is the main use case for the Crossref Funder Registry - to include identifiers in metadata that is registered with Crossref to connect publications and funders. If you aren't registering metadata with Crossref, then you don't need to use the Crossref Funder Registry identifiers.

Regards,

Ed

Kelly Stathis

Dec 15, 2021, 7:23:18 PM12/15/21
to Ed Pentz, ROR Tech Support

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much for this perspective! We are leaning towards using ROR for funders now, and it’s reassuring to hear from you that this is a reasonable approach.

Cheers,

Kelly

From: Ed Pentz <e...@crossref.org>
Date: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 4:51 AM
To: ROR Tech Support <ror-ap...@ror.org>
Cc: Kelly Stathis <Kelly....@engagedri.ca>
Subject: [ror-api-users] Re: Choosing between ROR and the Crossref Funder Registry for a repository integration

You don't often get email from e...@crossref.org. Learn why this is important

Chris Shillum

Dec 17, 2021, 4:43:49 PM12/17/21
to ROR Tech Support, kelly....@engagedri.ca, Ed Pentz
One thing to bear in mind is that not all "funders" are stand-alone organizations - therefore may not qualify for RORs - some are funding programs within larger organizations. I think this will need to be carefully considered when the plans to merge the Funder Registry into ROR are developed...