Meeting June 1, 2023

Jeff Scheel

May 26, 2023, 10:50:52 AM5/26/23
to RISC-V Development Board Program
All,

Our next meeting will be Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 12:00 UTC.  Local times:
  • 8 PM China
  • 5:30 PM India Standard Time
  • 2 PM Central European Time
  • 8 AM Eastern U.S.
  • 5 AM Pacific U.S.
Here's the meeting link:
https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=MzV2cDA2YW5wM21ra2YwbDkyNXVoOWdjbzlfMjAyMzA2MDFUMTIwMDAwWiB0ZWNoLm1lZXRpbmdzQHJpc2N2Lm9yZw&ctz=UTC

The agenda will involve two new topics:
  1. Shakti processor overview (Prasanna)
  2. Discussion about next programs
Standard topics will be addressed as time permits:
  1. Program updates from RISC-V
  2. Board and Project updates
  3. Review of Google Sites updates and drafts (Google Sites)
  4. What's cool? (time permitting)
Any topics, updates, or information can as always either be raised at the beginning of the meeting or by adding it to our agenda document, Dev Board Group Minutes.
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Linux Foundation, RISC-V Technical Program Manager

Jeff Scheel

Jun 1, 2023, 12:31:03 PM6/1/23
to RISC-V Development Board Program
Hello, All:

Thanks to Prasanna for a great presentation on the Shakti processors from India!  The link to his slides are in the notes below.

I've updated our Meeting Document and am posting the final information.  As always, please post questions and/or make updates/edits in the document as-needed.

Attendees: Jeff, Prasanna, Chen, Thea, Daniel, Yu Bo, Andy, Peter Yoon, Wei Wu, Guo Ren, Axel, Henrich (via email)

Special Topics:

  • Shakti processor (Prasanna)

    • Slides:  (pdf link)

    • Notes not from slides

      • Two main RISC-V processors in India - Shakti, Vega

      • Shakti startup companies: InCore Semiconductors, Mindgrove, SecurWeave, Vyoma Systems, Shakra (dev boards)

      • E-Class (Embedded, IOT devices), C-Class (Controller, SBC), I-Class (servers and mobile)

      • 3 devboards at this time

        • Aires board exists but not for public sale

        • Expect publicly available devboards by the end of the year 🤞

Program Updates:

  • Debian (Yu Bo)

    • No update for Debian official porting for riscv64

    • Debian community is not willing to accept the porting of riscv32 at this time.

      • Note (from Jeff): This is consistent with other Linux distributions dropping 32-bit application support

  • Canonical

    •  Henirich not able to attend.  No status updates.

  • Android (AOSP)

    • Continue ART development, completed assembler part: "implement entrypoints sufficient to run a hello world test. Implement generic JNI trampoline and supporting code such as exception handling, so that the runtime can execute native methods during class initialization. Classes are initialized at the time when Java libraries are loaded by the runtime.";

    • binary_translation & native_bridge_support still in rapid involvement, many pull-requests merged since last meeting.

    • Others are some daily updates, including toolchain upgrade to 17.0.2, kernel build script improvements, and some minor maintenance updates on bionic.

  • oreboot

    •  We have merged DRAM init for JH7100 and JH7110 into main

    • SBI rework to support all SoCs is WIP

    • Applied for milkV developer program to get a milkV Mars board

  • Firmware

    • GSoC project bringing GRUB to coreboot for RISC-V

  • RISC-V

    • Program status

      • Overall 1 pager: (link)

      • May status collection underway

    • ICE-V

      • All 20 boards delivered

    • VisionFive V2

      • All 58 boards have been shipped.

        • 54 delivered.

        • 1 is having Customs issues (India).  We are rerouting this board to “friendly” place.

        • 1 had a hiccup with delivery in France.

        • 2 are still making “normal” progress.

      • The RISC-V website (link) has opened the call for the remaining projects (inventory).

        • 2 Project Submissions.  Both look good.

    • Review of pending DevBoards site updates:

      • Sites link

      • No pending updates to review

    • Discussion

      • Is the VisionFive V2 an option for the Automotive group?

        • Jeff has reached out to the Automotive SIG Chairs to get their input

      • What’s next?

        • Milk-V Duo (link) does not obviously meet any specific program needs

        • PIONEER appears to be sooner, but lacks Vector 1.0 support, Hypervisor, and other 4Q2021 extensions

          1. Compiles showing 10x faster than Unmatched in informal testing

        • Horse Creek will have newer extensions but may not be as early

        • Lichee Pi 4A being used extensively in Android ecosystem

        • Jeff wants to do 1-2 more projects in 2023 and get these built in 3Q and have ordered no later than early 4Q.

What’s cool?:

Miscellaneous notes:

  • RISC-V Summit China CFP open

  • RISC-V Summit North America CFP open