Meeting January 5, 2023 (Eastern-Friendly)

Jeff Scheel

Jan 4, 2023, 2:03:51 PM1/4/23
to RISC-V Development Board Program
All,

Our next meeting will be Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 12:00 UTC.  Here's the meeting link: https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=MzV2cDA2YW5wM21ra2YwbDkyNXVoOWdjbzlfMjAyMzAxMDVUMTIwMDAwWiB0ZWNoLm1lZXRpbmdzQHJpc2N2Lm9yZw&ctz=UTC

The agenda will be slightly different than usual:
  • Review of 2022
    • What did we do well?
    • What could we do better
  • Priorities for 2023
    • What do we want to accomplish?
Any topics, updates, or information can as always either be raised at the beginning of the meeting or by adding it to our agenda document, Dev Board Group Minutes.
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Linux Foundation, RISC-V Technical Program Manager

Jeff Scheel

Jan 4, 2023, 2:16:47 PM1/4/23
to RISC-V Development Board Program, Jeff Scheel
Oops, forgot to update the day and time.  The previous email should read: "Our next meeting will be Thursday, January 5, 2022 at 12:00 UTC. Here's the meeting link: https://www.google.com/calendar/event?eid=MzV2cDA2YW5wM21ra2YwbDkyNXVoOWdjbzlfMjAyMzAxMDVUMTIwMDAwWiB0ZWNoLm1lZXRpbmdzQHJpc2N2Lm9yZw&ctz=UTC"

Additionally, I should note times in a few other time zones:
  • 8 PM China
  • 5:30 PM India Standard Time
  • 1 PM Central European Time
  • 7 AM Eastern U.S.
  • 4 AM Pacific U.S.
I hope you can find time to join me and bring your thinking caps.
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Linux Foundation, RISC-V Technical Program Manager

Jeff Scheel

Jan 4, 2023, 2:17:31 PM1/4/23
to RISC-V Development Board Program, Jeff Scheel
Geez, still got the year wrong:  s/2022/2023/

Jeff Scheel

Jan 6, 2023, 2:24:45 PM1/6/23
to RISC-V Development Board Program
A great meeting to start the year.  Here are my minutes.  As always, comments, questions, corrections are gladly accepted.

Attendees: Jeff, Rafael, Yu Bo, Daniel (oreboot, LinuxBoot, PSI, Fiedka), Axel, Peter, Thea, Prasanna

Agenda:

  • Reflections on 2022

      • What did we do well?

        • Sharing of Ecosystem information and topics, e.g. Labs

        • Rework of the work-flow, community (Google Groups), and website

        • Flexibility of program, specifically which boards/projects

      • What could we improve?

        • Continued focus/support of Linux distros e.g. Debian

        • Expand our participation from other OSs or OS environments

        • Finding a better way to promote “successes” with DevBoards

        • Finding a better way to promote ourselves

        • Increase the scope of our participant backgrounds/expertise – for example other distributions, board vendors, etc.

        • Outreach activities like SCC (Student Cluster Competition) at ISC/SC – participate in activities where RISC-V can be used, DevBoards can be promoted, and everyone wins!!!

        • Work more closely with Academic & Training Initiatives (Megan’s program; https://lists.riscv.org/g/sig-academia-training )

    • What would we like to accomplish in 2023?

      • What new boards should we expect?

        • Laptop

        • Unmatched replacement from SiFive (Horse Creek SOC)

        • Ventana board? (Veyron V1 SoC)

        • Alibaba board? (C908 SOC)

        • Esparanto SOC?

        • Multi-SoC manycore platforms, clusters

        • Shakti SOC? (no SBC board yet)

      • What characteristics do we need/want in a board and for what use

        • Code builder

          • >= 16 GiB memory

          • 4+ cores

          • local storage

          • PCI-e

          • BMC

          • rack mountable

          • Good support with Linux Kernel (Mainline!) and Distros,

          • limited/NDA’d documentation due to IP issues, thus less suitable for OS development

        • Basic developer board (Raspberry Pi)

          • 64-bit SOC

          • 2+ SMP Cores

          • Network Socket

          • Comprehensive documentation

        • General IoT development board

          • small, cheap, available in multiples,

          • 32-bit SOC,

          • lots of I/O PINs,

          • comprehensive documentation about Core and Peripherals

        • Special Use Cases

          • Accelerator development board

          • Automotive DevKit: CAN bus

          • Mobile phone DevKit: 64-bit SOC, …

          • “Bucket (suitcase-full) of SWAG boards”:  low-cost, already purchased, at events

      • What new programs, activities, might we engage in

        • SCC

        • Google Summer of Code

        • SUSE(?), Fedora hacking activities

    Platforms (written updates noted in Dev Board Group Minutes document)

    What’s cool?:

    New action items:

    • Define a set of “board profiles” which we can use and publish such that we can use with people (Rafael, Thea, Jeff)
    The next meeting will be Thursday, January 19 and will be in our "West Friendly" slot. The discussion about 2022 and 2023 will continue. An agenda and a meeting link will be posted next week.

    -Jeff