Ubuntu with Nvidia GPU on the HiFive Unmatched

Usman Zain Ul Abedin

Jul 21, 2022, 2:11:54 PM7/21/22
to RISC-V Developer Board Community
Hi all,

I wrote a guide/article on how I booted Ubuntu on HiFive Unmatched with nvidia graphics card. I had the gpu lying around and decided to give it a try with board.

GIve it a read. Thank you!

- Usman Zain

Jeff Scheel

Jul 21, 2022, 2:41:09 PM7/21/22
to Usman Zain Ul Abedin, RISC-V Developer Board Community
Cool!  THANKS!!!!
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Linux Foundation, RISC-V Technical Program Manager

Heinrich Schuchardt

Jul 22, 2022, 3:32:10 AM7/22/22
to Usman Zain Ul Abedin, RISC-V Developer Board Community
Hello Usman,

thanks a lot for sharing your installation experience for Ubuntu 20.04.

I just would like to point you to the RISC-V server install image for
Ubuntu 22.04 available on
https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/22.04/release/. It provides an
installation menu which will allow you to easily install Ubuntu onto the
NVMe drive of the Unmatched board and gives you further installation
choices.

See description on:
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RISC-V
*
https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-installation-on-the-sifive-hifive-unmatched-board-using-a-server-install-image/27804
(download links are updated in a comment)

Due to deficiencies of the Nouveau driver I use a file
/etc/gdm3/custom.conf with

WaylandEnable=false

to stick with X11 on Nvidia GPUs.

Best regards

Heinrich

Usman Zain Ul Abedin

Jul 22, 2022, 4:16:29 AM7/22/22
to RISC-V Developer Board Community, heinrich....@canonical.com, RISC-V Developer Board Community, Usman Zain Ul Abedin
Hi Heinrich,

Yes the next step is to update to Ubuntu 22.04 and install it on the NVMe drive. Maybe in the part 2 of the guide!

Thanks for the config, I will try it out and see if it improves the experience.

- Usman Zain