Re: Question about the fan

Jeff Scheel

Nov 1, 2022, 7:50:11 AM11/1/22
to Michael Zanetti, RISC-V Developer Board Community
+RISC-V Developer Board Community, do you mind sharing your experience with Michael?

What I know: I asked for kits with the fans because it was generally recommended for workloads where the CPU ran warmer.  I did not do so as an indication that it is required to be used.  So, what experience does the community have with the fan?  How many people are running without it and have you encountered any problems?

Thanks!!!
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Linux Foundation, RISC-V Technical Program Manager

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 3:04 PM Michael Zanetti <michael...@nymea.io> wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I've been digging the forums for this but didn't find a definitive
answer. The fan that has been included, would you advise to always use
that, or should that only be needed when doing more intense and long
running tasks? I see many people on the internet operating the board
without the fan, but I suppose there's a reason you've included it.
Unless it harms the board I would prefer to not use it as it's rather
noisy so I thought I'd ask back.

Thanks,

Michael

06kellyjac

Nov 1, 2022, 8:01:25 AM11/1/22
to je...@riscv.org, michael...@nymea.io, devboard-...@riscv.org
I have heard of many people not using the fan with no issues.

I have attached my fan to 3v power instead and its much quieter.

Image attached

j-k

to Jeff Scheel, Michael Zanetti, RISC-V Developer Board Community

On 1 November 2022 11:50:00 GMT, Jeff Scheel <je...@riscv.org> wrote:
>+RISC-V Developer Board Community <devboard-...@riscv.org>, do you
>mind sharing your experience with Michael?
>
>What I know: I asked for kits with the fans because it was generally
>recommended for workloads where the CPU ran warmer. I did not do so as an
>indication that it is required to be used. So, what experience does the
>community have with the fan? How many people are running without it and
>have you encountered any problems?

Not sure which board you're talking about, but I assume it's the visionfive?
I've got mine with the heatsink but no fan.
I and some others on the riscv irc did a small bit of experimenting with that setup and didn't see any concerning temps.

Michael Zanetti

Nov 1, 2022, 8:33:18 AM11/1/22
to devboard-...@riscv.org

On 01.11.22 13:18, Conor Dooley wrote:

> On 1 November 2022 11:50:00 GMT, Jeff Scheel <je...@riscv.org> wrote:
>> +RISC-V Developer Board Community <devboard-...@riscv.org>, do you
>> mind sharing your experience with Michael?
>>
>> What I know: I asked for kits with the fans because it was generally
>> recommended for workloads where the CPU ran warmer. I did not do so as an
>> indication that it is required to be used. So, what experience does the
>> community have with the fan? How many people are running without it and
>> have you encountered any problems?
> Not sure which board you're talking about, but I assume it's the visionfive?
> I've got mine with the heatsink but no fan.
> I and some others on the riscv irc did a small bit of experimenting with that setup and didn't see any concerning temps.

Yes the VisionFive v1.

Ok, then I'll try to have a run with the heatsink mounted but the fan
disconnected unless doing some CPU intense tasks. Perhaps going for the
3.3V option for the fan if it turns out get sweaty.

Thanks everyone!

Heinrich Schuchardt

Nov 1, 2022, 8:45:13 AM11/1/22
to Michael Zanetti, devboard-...@riscv.org

On 11/1/22 13:33, Michael Zanetti wrote:

> On 01.11.22 13:18, Conor Dooley wrote:
>>
>> On 1 November 2022 11:50:00 GMT, Jeff Scheel <je...@riscv.org> wrote:
>>> +RISC-V Developer Board Community <devboard-...@riscv.org>, do you
>>> mind sharing your experience with Michael?
>>>
>>> What I know: I asked for kits with the fans because it was generally
>>> recommended for workloads where the CPU ran warmer.  I did not do so
>>> as an
>>> indication that it is required to be used.  So, what experience does the
>>> community have with the fan?  How many people are running without it and
>>> have you encountered any problems?
>> Not sure which board you're talking about, but I assume it's the
>> visionfive?
>> I've got mine with the heatsink but no fan.
>> I and some others on the riscv irc did a small bit of experimenting
>> with that setup and didn't see any concerning temps.
>

> Yes the VisionFive v1.
>
> Ok, then I'll try to have a run with the heatsink mounted but the fan
> disconnected unless doing some CPU intense tasks. Perhaps going for the
> 3.3V option for the fan if it turns out get sweaty.

Hello Michael,

I use a 30 mm fan attached to 5 V from the GPIO pins and a heatsink:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002197479576.htm
https://github.com/xypron/visionfive-case

Best regards

Heinrich

Benjamin Lupton

Nov 3, 2022, 2:28:55 AM11/3/22
to RISC-V Developer Board Community, je...@riscv.org, michael...@nymea.io
I received the fan with my visionfive but wasn't clear on how to attach it to the board, so I've been running it fanless without problem.

Robert Lipe

Nov 3, 2022, 6:04:39 PM11/3/22
to Benjamin Lupton, RISC-V Developer Board Community, je...@riscv.org, michael...@nymea.io
If the gpio has the current drive to handle the fan, use PWM or Analog Out to crack down the voltage or duty cycle. Bonus points for monitoring temperature and adjusting to fit.

FWIW, the 7110 (4 fires @ 1.5Ghz each) on Star64 doesn't even come with a fan or a heatsink while the original 7100 board, the Beagle64, came with a fan and heatsink that would have cooled a vw beetle engine.

There's definitely a trend to using power for computer stuff instead of a space heater