quick startup guide ... ?

Tommaso Boccali

Sep 5, 2023, 8:46:37 AM9/5/23
to devboard-...@riscv.org
Ciao, I just put my hands on a VisionFive2 (it arrived a few weeks ago, but I was on vacation :), and it is coming w/o documentation.

Following https://doc-en.rvspace.org/VisionFive2/PDF/VisionFive2_QSG.pdf I burned the eMMC with the 202308 Debian version, but when it starts nothing happen (no signal on HDMI, difficult to see what is happening).

So I have one specific question + a general one:
1 - what is the function of the two leds close to the USB-C power entry? only the farthest from the USB-C lits, red. I tried all the combinations of the bootmode switches, to no result
2 - is there a step by step guide to first boot?

thanks a lot!!!

tom

--
Tommaso Boccali
INFN Pisa

Jeff Scheel

Sep 5, 2023, 8:47:53 AM9/5/23
to tommaso...@cern.ch, devboard-...@riscv.org
Start here, Tom: https://doc-en.rvspace.org/Doc_Center/visionfive_2.html
-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Director of Technical Programs, RISC-V Foundation

Jeff Scheel

Sep 5, 2023, 8:50:07 AM9/5/23
to tommaso...@cern.ch, devboard-...@riscv.org
Looks like it may be similar (your PDF and the quickstart guide on the site).  Technical questions can then go to this forum:

(Under "Resources" on the web site.)

-Jeff

--
Jeff Scheel (he/him/his)
Director of Technical Programs, RISC-V Foundation

Vadim Malenboim

Sep 5, 2023, 9:40:28 AM9/5/23
to tommaso...@cern.ch, devboard-...@riscv.org
Eventually the best way to bring the board up if you don't see anything on HDMI is to hook up the UART.
It gives you the best visibility possible.
There is an explanation here

Tommaso Boccali

Sep 5, 2023, 9:47:31 AM9/5/23
to Vadim Malenboim, devboard-...@riscv.org
thanks, I would definitely do it if nothing-else-works, but since it would take time to procure the object, I am trying atm more standard methods.

btw: an unclear thing to me: in the OneDrive there are Debian versions named 202308 etc ( 1 GB), and full images (6 GB). For the moment I had tried with the former; but is the latter the correct one?

in the image69 I see 4k HDMI is not supported ... maybe that is the culprit? I just have a 4k monitor around, I would need to search for an older one in case ...

thanks!

tom

Vadim Malenboim

Sep 5, 2023, 10:35:15 AM9/5/23
to tommaso...@cern.ch, devboard-...@riscv.org

Darren Davis

Sep 5, 2023, 10:39:43 AM9/5/23
to devboard-...@riscv.org, tommaso...@cern.ch
Hello Tommaso,

SUSE and StarFive recently published a video getting openSUSE TW running on the VisionFive2 if it helps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrly2gV-wMA

Cheers,

Darren

--
Darren Davis
Sr. Partner Technology Manager

thanks, I would definitely do it if nothing-else-works, but since it would take time to procure the object, I am trying atm more standard methods.

For dev boards in general, a serial terminal IS the standard method...

in the image69 I see 4k HDMI is not supported ... maybe that is the culprit? I just have a 4k monitor around, I would need to search for an older one in case ...

... And things like this are why that's true.

Good luck