Booting Debian on the StarFive VisionFive

Jonas Hahnfeld

Jun 18, 2022, 2:52:22 PM6/18/22
to RISC-V Developer Board Community
Hi all,

I know there are already some guides out there how to boot Debian on
the VisionFive board, but I still wrote down "my way" of doing it:
https://www.hahnjo.de/blog/2022/06/18/visionfive-debian.html

Only yesterday I came across the instructions at
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/StarFive/VisionFiveV1 which
didn't exist yet when I received my board and started experimenting
with booting Debian. I see that it puts /boot/uEnv.txt on the third
partition and leaves the first partition unused. As explained in my
blog post, it also seems possible to use the first partition directly
when putting the uEnv.txt at the root. I personally find this much
cleaner, not sure if the Debian people are on this list and think it's
worth it to simplify the setup described in the wiki?

Jonas
signature.asc

Milan P. Stanić

Jun 18, 2022, 4:30:17 PM6/18/22
to devboard-...@riscv.org
Also I did same and here is my guide for Alpine Linux
https://arvanta.net/alpine/alpine-on-visionfivev1/

It works fine.

--
Kind regards

Jonas Hahnfeld

Jun 18, 2022, 4:37:08 PM6/18/22
to Milan P. Stanić, devboard-...@riscv.org
Interesting, as far as I understand the script, it also works if the
first partition is formatted as ext4? That's some ... interesting
behavior of fatload!

Jonas
signature.asc

Milan P. Stanić