RESOLVED: COMPLETE - Planned complete REMC1 outage on 8PM Tuesday May 5th - Main Firewall Replacement

remc...@remc1.org

May 6, 2020, 7:26:57 AM5/6/20
to ne...@remc1.org
RT Ticket Number: 212149
REMC1 Network service issue
Date/Time started: 4/5/20 8pm EDT
Date/time of resolution: 4/5/20 9:30pm EDT

Member Impact: All REMC members

Services Impact: Internet and All REMC1 Services including Voice Service and hosted Servers

Comment: Resolved: Nearly all services were restored by 9:30pm. After verification and testing there were a few minor issues to track down and correct, and one followup reboot causing a short outage, but all services appear to be fully functional as of 11:50pm. Comment: On Tuesday May 5th REMC1 will be replacing the core enterprise firewall, starting at 8PM. This firewall services ALL internet traffic including all REMC1 hosted services and all REMC1 connected agencies: schools, ISDs, local government agencies and the K12 EAN LTE connections. This project has been in setup and testing for months, and is an enormous undertaking. While we believe we have everything in place for a smooth transition, REMC1 anticipates rolling outages for two hours as circuits are moved, reconfigured, and new circuits are brought up. During this time there will be intermittent outages for internet access, VPN connections, and access to all REMC1 hosted servers (including Powerschool, Skyward, Moodle, finance, etc) as well as remote access to all district services (VoIP/phone, file services, etc). The current system must be replaced since it is now at the end of support with no further updates or security patches being made available. The new system will also pro vide enhanced features, reliability and over ten times the speed and processing power as the old system. This new system also has expansion slots for upgrading in the future if needed, and will accommodate the higher capacity of the new CCISD fiber network coming later this spring. We recognize there is no good time for any outage, and we greatly appreciate your patience during this window as we work quickly and carefully to migrate all services.
Thank you,
sup...@remc1.net