RCSB PDB Search API Python Client

Dennis Piehl

Oct 31, 2023, 2:52:53 PM10/31/23
to a...@rcsb.org
Greetings all,

We are pleased to announce an RCSB PDB-maintained Python package that can be used for accessing our Search API, `rcsbsearchapi` (https://rcsbsearchapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html).

The package can be installed from PyPI or by downloading the source code on GitHub (https://github.com/rcsb/py-rcsbsearchapi). This repository will serve as the central hub for all future development, bug fixes, and discussions related to the RCSB PDB Search API package.

With this package, users can perform all the same types of queries they are familiar with from the Advanced Search builder on RCSB.org, all through a Pythonic interface. These capabilities include:

• Structure and chemical attribute search
• Sequence search
• Sequence motif search
• Structure similarity search
• Structure motif search
• Chemical similarity search
• Option to include computed structure models (CSMs) in search

For a full overview of these new features (including examples), please take a look at our documentation (https://rcsbsearchapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html). In particular, we strongly advise taking a look through the examples in the QuickStart tutorial (https://rcsbsearchapi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/quickstart.html) and the README (https://github.com/rcsb/py-rcsbsearchapi/blob/master/README.md). These examples are also available in a Jupyter notebook in the GitHub repository.

We hope that this package will prove valuable to your research interests. Your feedback, questions, or contributions are warmly encouraged and appreciated. And finally, we would like to thank Spencer Bliven (https://github.com/sbliven) for his generous efforts in providing the original groundwork for the package and making it available as a public software utility for others to build upon.

Happy coding,

Dennis Piehl
RCSB Protein Data Bank
Piscataway, NJ 08854 USA