Spring 2020: Update #1

Director PYSF

Feb 5, 2020, 3:37:17 PM2/5/20
to pysf...@pysf.us
Hello PYSF Parents and Sailors—

Wow, what a weekend we just had!!  We hosted two High School regattas out of PY-Westpoint with 80 sailors on Saturday and 72 on Sunday.  We had a beautiful day on Saturday that started with zero wind and tons of fog.  There was about a 2 hour window where the skies cleared and we had about 7-8 knots of breeze.  We managed to fit in 4 Gold races and 3 Silver races.  Big thanks to the parents (and sailors!) that volunteered to help with everything.  On Sunday we had the opposite.  Very clear skies and TONS of wind!!  We sailed inside, eventually combining Gold and Silver sailors on the same course.  It was a huge accomplishment for the sailors to simply take part in the day, in any form.  I really was so happy to see everyone experience that extreme of a day and realize what is possible.  This is all about learning, and I guarantee you every sailor went home with a much better idea of what this sport entails, and what they are capable of.  Again, big thank you to the parents and sailors (and coaches!) that made it happen!!

We are beginning our Spring Season THIS week!!  I was glad to see so many of you at our Info Nights.  A lot was covered, and I have posted the slides from the evenings’ presentation onto our website under “Events” in case you want to refer back.  This week we have practice every afternoon.  High School sailing will take part at PYSF-Chesapeake, with all other practices at PYSF-Westpoint.  We have a calendar on our website in case you are curious what we are up to each day!

See you out on the water soon! —Molly

Mark Your Calendars!!
  • Dave Perry will be coming to PYSF!!!  Tuesday evening, February 25.  Please visit this LINK to learn more and to RSVP for an awesome event!!!  Along with an amazing presentation, we have a pretty awesome raffle in store too...  (I have also attached a flyer with more info)

High School Sailing
  • Deadline to register for PCISA #4 @ Treasure Island is this Friday.  Pairings for the regatta are being sent to the High School Reps today.  We will have four teams competing!
  • BAYS Winter #3 (a non-High School regatta) is happening next weekend at Treasure Island.  This is a great warm-up for the HS regatta the following weekend.  Please make sure your sailors are listed under the FJ fleet on our sign-up if they would like to compete.
  • Try-out days are this week for anyone new to the sport/program.  Please make sure to bring your interested friends/classmates this week!

Opti Race Team
  • There are two upcoming regattas for the Opti Race Team.  BAYS Winter #3 @ Treasure Island for both Champ and Green Fleet is NEXT weekend!  Harken Series #1 at California YC is the following weekend for our Champ Fleet sailors.  Please make sure your name is on the sign up for both sailing and towing!

420 Race Team
  • We have two upcoming regattas for our 420 racers.  C420 Midwinters in Jensen Beach, FL and BAYS Winter #3 is the same weekend!  We have five teams heading to Florida to compete.  The local BAYS Winter Series is a great event for everyone at home.  Please make sure your name is on the sign-up to both sail and tow.
  • Please make sure to schedule your goal meeting with Molly and Udi.  Of the 31 sailors on the team this year (!) we have met with 23 of you.  Almost everyone!!
PYSF-daveperry.pdf