2019 Fall Sailing: Update #6

Director PYSF

Oct 1, 2019, 6:01:56 PM10/1/19
to pysf...@pysf.us
Hello PYSF Parents and Sailors—

I hope you all had a great weekend.  It was WINDY on Saturday!!  We had kids sailing at a regatta in Richmond this weekend, and had seven classes run out of Westpoint and our original spot.  Busy weekend!!  Thank you to all of the parents that attended our Race Team meetings last week as well.  It’s great to get everyone together, answer questions and start out the season on the right foot!  Also a big shout out to the parents that are learning to tow!!  I have now given three lessons and have two more set up.   I am free on Monday and Tuesday afternoons (or Wed-Fri morning) to get you all ready to tow.  Our first regatta Oct 26-27 will need 13 trailers taken there and back most likely.  That is a lot of drivers needed!!  Recently Latitude 38 visited us and wrote a very nice article about PYSF in the August Issue   A 420 parent shared it on the parent chat, but I thought the broader community might like to see it!  It sums up where we have been, where we are going and what we aim to do!  Please see the updates below.  I hope to see you all down by the water soon —Molly

Intro/Intermediate Classes
  • Learn-to-Sail: You have your third class of the season this Saturday.  You will be with Hanna and Brett
  • Opti-Intro-To-Race:  It was great to work with you all last weekend.  Definitely making progress!  Your fourth class is this Sunday.  You will be with Chris and Tommy.
  • FJ Intro: I also got to spend some time with the FJ Class this weekend before they headed out on the water.  Always nice to see each level of the program is building on the next.  By the end of the season if your sailor is confident with both skippering and crewing they are welcome to join the 420 Intermediate class.  Please check in with your instructors at the end of the day for an individual “progress report.”  Your fourth class this Sunday will be with Todd and Brett.
  • 420 Intermediate: Reminder for sailors to bring their pinnies and bailers to each practice.  And to make sure everything has their name on it!!

Opti Race Team
  • Thanks to all of you for attending the Parent Meeting last Wednesday.  I hope your questions were answered (or most of them!) and you were able to get a sense of the upcoming year (both from myself and Gavin’s dad Tim’s perspective).  I have listed the regattas that are out of the Bay Area on our internal sign-up sheet.  I hope you all can talk with each other and plan to attend one of the events in Florida as a group.  We have cutoffs of Nov 1st and Dec 1st to allow time for planning.
  • Our first regatta of the season (BAYS Winter #1) will be Oct 26-27 at St. Francis Yacht Club.  It sounds like we might have an opti parent supplying a spectator boat!!  Details to come…  Please list your sailor on the internal sign-up  so we know how many kids are hoping to attend.

420 Race Team
  • Thank you to all the Race Team (and Intermediate parents!) that came to the meeting on Friday.  And for braving the chilly breeze and darkness at the end!  Good to get everyone together, hear some feedback and suggestions and to answer some of your questions.  For the discussion of team chats/apps for organizing schedules I am still looking for an app that can handle large media downloads.  We share a bunch of video and photos in our sailor WhatsApp chat and that seems to be a missing piece in a lot of the team apps.  The scheduling, messaging, etc seems similar across the board.  But if anyone knows of one that encompasses messaging capable of large media downloads PLEASE SHARE with me offline!  Thanks!!
  • The internal sign-up now has all regattas listed (both C420 and I420) through Midwinters in February.  Please update if you are available to sail.  Reminder that intermediate sailors are most likely not attending the out-of-sate events.  But if you are able and wanting to sail please put your name down!  There is always a potential of attending!
  • BAYS Winter #1 is coming up quickly!  Oct 26-27 we are sailing out of StFYC.  Please list yourself if you are able to tow!!  We will most likely be taking every trailer we own!
  • All pairs have been set for the season.  If you were listed as a crew on Friday please make sure you are brining your harness to practice!  We have 10 Intermediate crews that are figuring out what harness they would like to purchase and will need to use the PYSF ones.

High School Race Team
  • All updates are given to the Parent Reps for the 12 schools we have sailing out of PYSF this season.  I just sent an update yesterday about upcoming regattas.  Please check in with your Parent Rep if you have not seen it!
  • This past weekend we had 11 boats sailing on Saturday and 8 boats sailing on Sunday at Richmond YC.  Congrats on DTech winning Gold Fleet on Saturday!  RESULTS
  • Upcoming regattas are
    • PCISA #1 @ Monterey (we have 2 DTech boats sailing)
    • PCISA All-Girls Regatta @ San Diego YC (we have 1 DTech team sailing)
    • BAYS Winter Series #1 (Oct 26-27) is a NON-High School regatta that has an FJ Fleet.  If your sailor would like to compete please list them on the internal junior sailing sign-up
    • NorCal 1-Day #3 and #4 are Nov 3-4.  Make sure to get your name down on the sign-up if you are available to sail!
    • PCISA #2 @ Newport Harbor (SoCal) is Nov 9-10.
  • All sailors must come to practice with pinnies and bailers!!!  No exceptions!