2019 Fall Sailing: Update #5

Director PYSF

Sep 25, 2019, 12:54:15 AM9/25/19
to pysf...@pysf.us
Hello PYSF Parents and Sailors—

We are plugging along into the Fall Season!  We had a full weekend of classes this past week.  It was great to see so many kids on the water.  It is amazing how much we have grown in the past few years.  And it is always so refreshing to see so many folks enjoying our sport!  I have some busy Mondays and Tuesdays coming up, as more and more parents are learning to tow.  I love the commitment level from everyone in our program!  It really does take a village.  Please see the updates below.  I hope to see you all by the water soon!  —Molly

**Everyone (except Learn-to-Sail and FJ Intro) must come to practice WITH A BAILER in order to sail.  No exceptions**

Intro/Intermediate Classes
  • Learn-to-Sail will have their second class this Saturday.  You will be with Tommy and Jemma.
  • Opti Intro-to-Race will have their third class this Sunday.  You will be with Tommy and Amir.
  • FJ Intro will have their third class this Sunday.  You will be with Thomas.
  • 420 Intermediate will have Sunday practice at the same time as the 420 Race Team.  Molly and Oliver will be with you this weekend.

Race Team Parent Meetings This Week
  • Opti Race Team Parents will meet TOMORROW from 6:30-7:30 upstairs in the Westpoint Harbor Building.  We will go over the season ahead and what opportunities are there over the winter and into next season
  • 420 Race Team Parents will meet on Friday from 6:30-7:30 in Westpoint Harbor at our “home base” between the blue containers.

High School Sailing
  • Thank you all for registering your teams with ISSA.  And for signing up for the first regatta of the season this weekend.  Reminder to look at the internal Sign-Up and put your name down on the regattas you would like to attend.  I close the sign-up sheet once I make the pairs and assign boats.  PCISA #1 pairings will be sent out tomorrow.  The next NorCal 1-Day regattas are Nov 2-3 at Encinal YC in Alameda.
  • This weekend we will have 11 boats sailing on Saturday and 8 sailing on Sunday.  Chris will be coaching both days, and Timmy Gee from DTech will be joining him on Saturday.  We will be towing 5 trailers there and back. Two trailers can go home on Saturday night, so we are still looking for one more driver on Sunday afternoon. We will meet at Richmond YC at 8:30 Saturday to unload the boats, rig, check-in and have a team meeting before the general competitors’ meeting at 10:30.  Sunday the sailors will meet at 9:30am.  All sailboats will be loaded at practice Wednesday and Thursday.  Motorboats will be pulled and ready on Friday.
    • Towing to RYC
      • Nick Huffer (Carlmont)
      • Nathan Freed (Mountain View)
      • Timmy Gee (DTech)
      • Beth Delson (Gunn)
      • Carolyn Knobel (DTech)
    • Towing to PYSF (Sunday)
      • BethAnn Goldberg (DTech)
      • Nathan Freed (Mountain View)
      • ????

Opti Race Team
  • We are slowly getting the boats and area settled in the new venue.  We will have some turf out in the easement for rigging sails and the PYSF Optis will be moving down to the boat ramp, next to the Cubes this week.  You will have your first Saturday practice this weekend.  Make sure you are ready for a long day, and sailing outside for Champ Fleet.
  • Please make sure both BAYS Winter Series Regattas are on your calendar.  BAYS #1 Oct 26-27 @ StFYC and BAYS #2 Nov 16-17 @ Santa Cruz YC.  It would be great to have all of our Champ Fleet attend Turkey Day Regatta Nov 23-24 down south at Alamitos Bay YC as well.  We will be discussing these (and other!) regattas tomorrow at the parent meeting.

420 Race Team
  • Great to see everyone sailing this past Sunday.  We have 9 Race Team boats out in the Bay with Caroline Young coaching.  This coming Sunday you will have John and Mimi El-Khazindar coaching.  Mimi will be joining our coaching staff this season, as she has just recently graduated from Stanford and working at an internship in the city right now.  We are lucky to have the array of coaches lined up to help our sailors!
  • Everyone should have submitted their questionnaire by tonight.  We will be discussing this with the sailors at practice this week.  Thank you all for your thoughtfulness when completing it!
  • Please make sure both BAYS Winter Series Regattas are on your calendar.  BAYS #1 Oct 26-27 @ StFYC and BAYS #2 Nov 16-17 @ Santa Cruz YC.  We will be discussing these, and other regattas tomorrow at the parent meeting on Friday.