2019 Fall Sailing: Update #12

Director PYSF

Nov 21, 2019, 1:45:14 PM11/21/19
to pysf...@pysf.us
Hello PYSF Parents and Sailors—

What a fun weekend for our sailors we just had!!  The conditions in Santa Cruz for the second BAYS Winter Series were challenging and rewarding for the kids.  Fog, ocean swell, 5-10 knots.  I have heard lots of excited recaps of sailing there from the kids.  Sounds like we need to make some more trips to Santa Cruz!  And our Learn-to-Sail class got to experience some sailing in the fog and ventured towards the opening of the harbor this weekend too!  It’s always fun to get outside of your comfort zone and see what you can handle.  And from the coaching side, it is a ton of fun to watch the kids figure it out!

This is our last week of practice for the season.  But we have a number of opportunities to be down at PYSF and get some sailing time in!  I hope to see all of you at the Holiday Party on Saturday, December 7th.  Please see the updates below.  —Molly

Holiday Party
  • Party is December 7th, 6-9pm at Sequoia Yacht Club.  For those of you trying to juggle multiple holiday parties that evening the festivities will be geared towards the second half (skits, silent auction closing…)
  • Please RSVP so we can ensure enough food and drink!
  • Here is a link to the TEAMS for the baskets and skits
  • Here is a link to the BASKET THEMES for the silent auction

Learn-to-Sail
  • It was a blast to teach the kids this past weekend!  Your last class will be this Saturday.  Your instructors will be Brett and Tommy

Opti Intro and FJ Intro
  • You should have all received what your child’s next steps would be for the Spring a few weeks ago.  I really hope to see all of you at the Holiday Party.  It is a great chance to meet the other PYSF Families and to see what those next steps are like by seeing the Race Teams and hearing from the sailors themselves.

420 Intermediate
  • You have practice this Friday and Sunday.  These are great opportunities to organize yourselves for the skit(s) and baskets!  I will send an email to all of the parents so you can coordinate as well.
  • Please speak with Chris and Oliver at the next two practices about what your next steps would be for the Spring (420 Int, High School, 420 Race)
  • There are three clinics that would be useful for the 420 Int Sailors: 420 Fundamentals on Dec 7-8.  Team Racing 101 in January (if they are interested in learning about 3v3 high school and college style racing), and the High School Warm-up on Jan 25-26 (if they will be sailing in High School).  We also have private coaching that can be set up through Molly.

Opti Race
  • Congrats to all of the sailors at BAYS Winter Series #2.  We had 7 boats competing in Champ Fleet, with Gavin taking the top spot of the group (6th) in a 29 boat fleet!  Our Green Fleet is improving by the second!!  Simply being able to organize themselves, and get 9 optis there with all of their pieces is a win!  And on top of that they are doing really well on the water too!  Our top spot went to Francisco with a 3rd out of 18.  RESULTS
  • We just had our last Race Team practice of the season.  Please remember to come down over the winter and check on your boat.  Covers are on securely, boat is tied to rack, dolly on top of boat (not on ground), etc.  Storms can come up quickly and there will not be a daily presence on site throughout the winter season.
  • Clinics that would be appropriate for our Champ Fleet sailors would be the Opti Warm-Up and the Team Racing 101 chalk talks.  Our Green Fleeters should use this time to get excited for the Spring Season!  We do have private coaching available if you desire that can be setup through Molly.

High School
  • We had a number of sailors compete in the FJ Fleet this past weekend at BAYS Winter Series #2.  Six boats competed in the 19 boat fleet.  Congrats to Annabelle/Stefan/Michael on their 2nd place!!  RESULTS
  • We have our last practice this Saturday.  I hope to see everyone there!
  • Don’t forget about your skits and baskets!!
  • There are a number of clinics this winter that apply to the high school sailor.  Specifically 420 Fundamentals Dec 7-8, Team Racing 101 on Wednesdays in January the the High School Warm-up January 25-26.

420 Race
  • Congrats to all of the sailors at BAYS Winter Series #2.  We had 10 boats competing, with Mason/Timmy taking the top spot in a 27 boat C420 fleet!  RESULTS
  • We have five teams heading to Turkey Day Regatta this weekend in I420s.  This has become a qualifying regatta for the I420 Worlds due to regatta entries reaching 11 boats.  Thank you CISA for making it possible to get more boats on the water!  Good luck to our sailors down in Long Beach!!
  • This winter there are some clinics that would be applicable for the Race Team: I420 Warm-up in January, Team Racing 101 in January (if you are interested in learning about 3v3 high school and college style racing) and the High School Warm-up on Jan 25-26 (if you also sail in High School).  We do have private coaching available as well that can be setup through Molly.
  • We have our last practice this Friday.  Please remember to come down over the winter and check on your boat.  Covers are on securely, boat is tied to rack/dolly, halyards and traps secured tightly and away from mast, etc.  Storms can come up quickly and there will not be a daily presence on site throughout the winter season.
  • Remember to organize yourselves for the skits and baskets at the Holiday Party!

Winter Clinics
Here is a list of clinics we are offering over the Winter Break.  All registration links are on our homepage under QUICK LINKS   These will be open to sailors outside PYSF as well.  We have clinics for Optis, FJs, C420s and I420s so everyone should have a spot that might fit them!
  • Dec 7-8: C420 Clinic
    • Goal: Learn fundamentals of C420
    • Who: Opti Sailors transitioning to C420, C420 Intermediate level sailors
    • Cost: $200/sailor
  • Jan 8, 15, 22: Team Racing 101 Chalk Talk
    • Goal: Learn fundamentals of 3 versus 3 team racing (concepts, rules, plays)
    • Who: Opti Champ, High School, 420 sailors
    • Cost: $50/sailor
  • Jan 11-12: I420 Clinic
    • Goal: Warm-up for North Americans
    • Who: Anyone that is competing the I420 or has extensive C420 experience
    • Cost: $200 charter + $200/sailor
  • Jan 18-19: Opti Clinic
    • Goal: Warm-up for Spring Season
    • Who: Opti Champ Level sailor
    • Cost: $200/sailor
  • Jan 25-26: High School Clinic
    • Goal: Warm-up for the Spring Season
    • Who: Anyone that is a returner to High School sailing (no new sailors)
    • Cost: $100/sailor