2019 Fall Sailing: Update #9

Director PYSF

Oct 29, 2019, 11:14:01 PM10/29/19
to pysf...@pysf.us
Hello PYSF Parents and Sailors—

What a weekend we had!  BAYS Winter Series #1 had a little bit of everything!!  It was definitely eye-opening to our sailors (and parents) new to racing.  The fleets got 3 races in on Saturday and all racing was canceled on Sunday due to the high wind.  The other three BAYS Winter Series will not be as overwhelming as this one, that StFYC has combined with their Fall Dinghy Regatta with various adult classes as well.  It was CROWDED!  Thank you to all of the parents that helped tow back and forth this weekend and to all of the coaches that help coordinate the sailors.  It was truly a team effort on and off the water!!  We had some podium finishes, and most importantly at the end of Sunday smiles all around!  Here is a link to RESULTS.

This being our first big event of the season, I wanted to share a story as a reminder about how important our role is as parents.  I have a 1 and 3 year old at home.  My 3yo came out of his swim lesson this morning super excited with one of his friends.  That dad tells me how great Nicholas did, and how his son had an off day and didn’t do very well.  The boy’s smile went away and both kids stood there not knowing what to do or say.  Whoa.  Ding ding, red flag…  I immediately asked both boys if they had fun, which they perked up and said yes.  And I told them “Well that’s what’s most important.  Great to hear!”   While every child is different, please remember that your role as mom, dad, caregiver is to be supportive not critical.  Trust me, the coaching staff is very good at finding room for improvement and helping your child’s competitive spirit thrive!  If you have a child that doesn’t like to share much with you, feel free to ask the coaches to elaborate.  We also have a great book from Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) that is geared towards the parents’ role.  It lists some great conversation starters, and how to approach your child’s sport.  I have a few copies in the office that you are welcome to take home.  At the end of the day our goal is to have your child enjoy this sport for a lifetime.  And it takes us all to be on the same page to make that happen!

This week we have the dredger farther inside the harbor at Westpoint.  It will definitely be a distraction for the younger kids!  We can still get by, it is just an added obstacle!!  All boats need to be unloaded this week from the trailers.  For privately owned boats, please make sure to secure your boats to the racks/dollies.  It has been very windy lately, and the storm season is just getting started.  You need to come and check on your boats and make sure they are secure, tied down, not full of water, etc.  Storms can be unpredictable in their wind direction and strength.  It is important to keep your stuff secure!

There will be NO practice this Thursday for Halloween.

This weekend we have two High School Regattas (NorCal 1-Day #3 and #4) at Encinal Yacht Club.  The regatta was oversubscribed and numerous teams had to be cut.  Per the NorCal PCISA rules, all borrowed sailors and large teams with 4 or more boats registered were removed.  I will be sending an email to all of the HS Reps with towing and other logistics.  Your coaches this weekend will be Chris and Jordan Factor.  There will be seven boats sailing on Saturday and four on Sunday.

There is 420 Intermediate and 420 Race Team practice this Sunday.  Udi and Mimi will be with 420 Race and Oliver and Thomas will be with 420 Intermediate.   There is no other practice at home this weekend.  Please check the website to see the future dates of remaining classes this season.

I hope to see you all down at PYSF soon!!  Have a Happy Halloween!!  —Molly