2019 Fall Sailing: Update #4

Director PYSF

Sep 17, 2019, 3:56:25 PM9/17/19
to pysf...@pysf.us
Hello PYSF Parents and Sailors—

We have now been through the first week of the season and most of our sailors have had a chance to get back onto the water!  You will see a fair amount of information here, as we are just beginning the season and I want to make sure everyone sees what we are doing.  I hope to see all of you down by the water soon!  And for sure at the upcoming Info Nights!  —Molly

Update on the Move
  • PYSF owns 70+ boats (Cubes, Optis, Lasers, C420s, motorboats…) and getting them all in the correct spots takes some time!!  We are waiting for a few things to move around over at Westpoint Harbor and then we will have everything in place!  I expect the boats at Westpoint to be in their proper spot within the next 2 weeks.  For the Fall we are leaving 28 FJs over at the Boat Ramp on Chesapeake and will run all of our High School and FJ Intro Classes there.
  • The final container will be arriving this Thursday morning.  That will complete our “Home Base” making a U-Shaped classroom area that we will be covering and lining the ground with astro turf.
  • Dry Storage is back behind two gates (one electrical, and one manual).  Currently it is a challenge getting out of there without a car to tell the sensor to open the gate.  We are working with the Harbor to address this quickly, as all of our kids are walking back and forth!  I hope to have an answer for the private boat owners (13 optis and 10 420s) by the Info Night this week.
  • Reminder for the new venue: there is a 10mph speed limit through the parking lot.  I love that you don’t want to be late for practice!  But please be aware of the many people that walk around the marina (kids included!).
  • I need to build a LOT of stands for the boats to be able to prop their bows on to drain.  If you are up for a project, let me know.  It would be great to divide this up amongst a few people, as I think I will need 40 in total!!
  • Thank you to Peter Lim, who conveniently was closing an office and had some office furniture, white boards, TVs to donate.  And also to Marton Jojarth who had some left over artificial turf that will work GREAT for the opti sail rigging area!

Gear
  • Many of you are new to our sport and are wondering what to get your kids.  We have been lucky with very warm practices so far this past week.  But when the weather turns, and when the time changes it definitely gets cold quickly!  I will have one of the high school and opti sailors show their gear to the group on Thursday night.  Also, please look online at West Coast Sailing, under apparel.  There is a long list of potential stuff to order!  At the Race Team meetings I can bring out what labeled spray gear we have in stock as well.  Here is a link to the discount info we have with West Coast Sailing.

Intro Classes
  • Learn: your first class will be this Saturday from 10am-2pm at the new venue (Westpoint Harbor).  Your instructors will be Hanna and Oliver.  Please be prepared for swimming.
  • Opti Intro-to-Race: you had your first class this past weekend with Chris.  I know everyone has some homework of recalling the points-of-sail before your next class.  This Sunday you will see a number of other sailors, as our 420 classes will be there as well.
  • FJ Intro: your second class will be this Sunday with Todd as your instructor.
  • 420 Intermediate: This Friday you will see the 420 Race Team at practice as well.  And this weekend will be busy, with the 420 Race Team and Opti Intro-to-Race all sailing out of the new venue.  Can’t wait!

Race Teams
  • Opti: Thanks for building the table back in the easement last week!  We are adding a white board and umbrella to your hang out spot!  John will be with the Champ Fleet and Oliver and Joseph will be with the Green Team this Wednesday.
  • 420: your first practice of the season is this Friday.  If your boat is not already at Westpoint we will work as a team to get them there on Friday.  John will be with you this Friday and Sunday.
  • High School: So many kids at try-outs!  We have 62 kids in total from 12 different High Schools (Burlingame, Cambrian Academy, Carlmont, Crystal Springs, Design Tech, Gunn, Homestead, Khan Lab, Los Altos, Menlo Atherton, Mountain View and Sequoia)!  Everyone needs to be at the Info Night this Thursday at 6:30.  The second half of the talk will be focused on High School and we will attempt to answer all of your questions!  Everyone should have received an email from me today with the complete High School Roster attached.

Mark your Calendars!
  • Info Night: We have three info nights this season, and everyone is welcome to attend all of them if you would like.  The one this week will focus on the program as a whole, as well as the High School Race Team.  Next week we will have one for the Opti Race Team and another for the 420 Race team.  Please see info here:
    • Thursday, Sept 19 at Sequoia YC from 6:30-8pm.  All sailors can walk around the path to the club at the end of practice and meet you at the Club for the remainder of the talk.
    • Wednesday, Sept 25 at Westpoint Harbor Building from 6:30-7:30.  Your meeting will be upstairs in the Red/Green Harbor Building that is in the parking lot before you reach the blue containers/PYSF.  Enter the main floor and walk upstairs.
    • Friday, Sept 27 at PYSF Westpoint Venue from 6:30-7:30. We are too large of a group to meet upstairs in the Harbor Building, so we will be meeting next to the blue containers (your kids’ new home base!)
  • Coastal Cleanup Day is this Saturday, Sept 21st.  Winston Bumpus will be at the Info Night this Thursday to tell us more details.  But plan to be climbing in the rocks and along to the water’s edge to pick up debris and help keep our playground clean!!
  • Regattas
    • Sept 28-29: NorCal 1-Day #1 and #2 @ Richmond YC.
    • Oct 12-13: PCISA #1 (Sea Otter) @ Monterey Bay
    • Oct 19-20: PCISA All-Girls Regatta @ SDYC