420 and Opti Race Team Summer Plans

Director PYSF

Feb 12, 2020, 3:56:52 PM2/12/20
to Opti Email PYSF, PYS...@pysf.us
Hello Parents and Sailors—

This weekend the Summer Registration link will be live.  And I have gotten a few questions about summer plans.  The summer is always very busy and sporadic for everyone.  In response to that, we have changed the structure of the summer “camps” this summer.  The goal of the summer schedule is to fit into everyone’s crazy calendars and make the time you have on the water productive. Here are some explanations.  Please let me know if you have questions. *I love that the Opti parents are using the What’s App chat to figure out their plans!!

  • Opti Green has eight 1-week camps that run from 9am-4pm Monday through Friday.  The goal for the Green Team is to get more time on the water in varying conditions.
  • Opti Champ has three 1-week camps that are intended as lead-ups to the BAYS event that weekend.
  • 420 Race has four options all focused towards an event.  The first is local, the other three focus on Triple Crown events across the country.
  • I would expect our sailors to take at least one camp, if not more if their schedules permit.
  • Signing up for any camp gives you boat access and coaching to all of the BAYS Summer events.  If you are not registered in any summer camp, coaching at a BAYS Summer Series would be $100/day.
  • LINK to Summer Schedule

Udi and I have met with (almost) all of the 420 Race Team at this point and have discussed with them what their summer might look like.  They all were given the homework of talking with mom/dad to confirm their summer commitments.  The reason we plan so far in advance is two-fold.  First, we use the summer commitments to pair sailors together now.  Second, the registrations for the events open soon and are limited in size (For example Nationals registration is already open and is limited to 150 boats).  I need all 420 sailors to list themselves on our sign-up genius if they are available for Ida Lewis (Women’s Doublehanded Champs), North Americans, Nationals and BBR this week.  *A few of our sailors have summer internships they are waiting to hear about.  For those sailors we have told them to list their name on the sign-up if they would like sail, and note “pending acceptance.  I will know by X date.”

I look forward to seeing everyone this weekend, or at practice the next time you are here!  —Molly