Fall 2019 Opti Race Team Update

Director PYSF

Sep 2, 2019, 6:27:25 PM9/2/19
to PYSF...@pysf.us
Hello Opti Race Team Sailors and Parents—

I hope you are all enjoying your Labor Day Weekend!  We had 10 kids compete up at Treasure Island this past weekend in the last Bay Area Youth Sailing Summer Series.  Great to see so many kids out on the water (and doing so well!).  As you know, our registration for the Fall Season opened yesterday.  There is a lot of information that is going to come your way in this email.  We are going to go over this at the Fall Info Night, as well as more in depth at a Opti Race Team Parent meeting.  For my newer parents, a lot of this seems overwhelming.  You are not alone!  The majority of our Race Team Parents had zero sailing knowledge before their kids got bitten by the sailing bug.  And together we all help each other through the process.  Please read over the info below.  Digest it, and probably re-read the email a few times… ha.  We will be going over most of this info later this month in person. —Molly

For those returners thinking about winter plans, note the Orange Bowl Registration was moved up to Sept 9th this year (!!).  Please list yourself on the sign-up in the next 2 days if you are hoping to go to Orange Bowl.

Schedule
Below are the regattas we are planning to do both locally in the Bay Area, as well as up and down the CA coast and in Florida.  To be on the Race Team you are committing to participate in all of the local Bay Area regattas (2 this Fall).  The events outside of the Bay Area are extracurricular.  There is a $100/day fee for each event OUTSIDE of the Bay Area, which helps cover coaching expenses, coach boats, etc.  The larger events have an early registration date, and require most of you to charter your opti (unless you own one on both coasts).  The bigger events serve as qualifiers for the Team Trials (in April every year.  This year hosted in Texas).  The Team Trials is where kids then race for a spot to compete internationally.  There are a lot of logistics involved in competing in a 200+ boat fleet across the country!  It is important to plan ahead and meet deadlines.

  • Oct 26-27: BAYS Winter #1 @ StFYC
  • Nov 23-24: Turkey Day Regatta @ ABYC
  • Dec 7-8: BAYS Winter #2 @TBD
  • Dec 26-29: Orange Bowl Regatta @ Miami, FL *Reg opens Sept 10!
  • Feb 7-9: Valentines’ Day Regatta @ St. Petersburg, FL
  • Mar 7-8: Sunshine State Champs @ Jensen Beach, FL
  • April 18-26: Team Trials @ Seabrook, TX

Signing Up for Regattas
Many of you are new to the program, or new to the Race Team.  Here is the usual process for attending regattas through PYSF:

1. Look at schedule and determine what regattas you would like to attend
2. List yourself on the Sign-Up Genius
3. Wait for Molly’s update 1-2 weeks prior to event (local) that lists logistics
4. Register for event
5. Be at boat loading prior to regatta
6. Tow boats morning of to the event

Each event host club uses their own registration site.  Once you know we are going to the event, it is your responsibility to register with the host.  I will give the link to the host’s site in the logistics email.  This is an important step that newer sailors forget!  Also part of signing up for events is being able to get your boats there.  At the larger BAYS events we take 10-13 trailers usually.  Every parent needs to be prepared to tow.  The first season on the team you are excused, but after a season you need to sort a vehicle that can accommodate towing our trailers.

Expectations
I have attached our Race Team Expectations, which every sailor will read and sign for us.  It is important we are instilling the correct mindset and manage the sailor’s, parent’s and coach’s expectations.  We want to make sure the sailors understand how they can make progress and improve from where they are today.  We also want to make sure the coaches know how best to prepare the team for success.  We have reached a level where we cannot sacrifice a practice due to someone not being ready, safe, committed, etc.  We have our Opti Green and Opti Champ practice happening at the same time on purpose.  It allows all of our sailors to be pushed appropriately, and for those still learning, a benchmark to reach.

Storage Fee
PYSF owns 9 Optimists.  Those boats will be used for Opti Intro-to-Race and Opti Green.  It is mandatory that you have your own boat to use after your first season on the Race Team.  We have grown to a size that we cannot accommodate club boat usage beyond the introductory level.  With the move to Westpoint Harbor we are now able to have all of our privately owned boats behind locked gates.  Due to the upgrade in storage, we will be charging a monthly fee of $30/boat.  If you are on Facebook (or our Instagram Story) I posted a video of the area yesterday.

Communication
As you will see in the expectations we really strive to have the athletes take ownership of their sport.  An important life skill is to be able to advocate for yourself.  The coaching staff understands that not every child comes to us as a confident, self-assured rock star!  We work with each athlete to help foster the communication. And we welcome parents to help advocate WITH their kids when it seems they need some help.  All of the important logistical information will come to you via this email group.  I encourage all parents and sailors to put themselves on the list via our homepage.

Sailing Locally vs Nationally and beyond
When first looking at the schedule it can be overwhelming.  When first beginning you should focus on the local BAYS events.  Then as your child’s interest and ability increases you would venture to southern California.  When your child is confident in Champ Fleet, attending a Team Trials Qualifier in Florida is the natural next step.  It is important to test your skill set outside of your backyard.  To make sure what you are doing is correct, what skills you are missing, what you are doing well, etc.  Placing well at Team Trials then opens the door for you to make International Teams that compete at various regattas around the world. Again, take it step by step.  Local, Statewide, National and beyond.

Opti Race Team Expectations Fall 2019 .docx

Director PYSF

Sep 25, 2019, 5:07:34 PM9/25/19
to PYSF...@pysf.us
Hello Opti Parents—

I am sending this email out again, as it will be the basis of our agenda tonight.  I hope you all can make it to Westpoint Harbor tonight, 6:30-7:30pm.  It will be a great chance to meet all of the other parents, plan the season and see the new venue!  I will be coming from High School practice via water.  I will meet you upstairs in the Harbor Building! —Molly

Begin forwarded message:
Opti Race Team Expectations Fall 2019 .docx