Casco Bay News

cascobay-announce

Jan 25, 2017, 11:34:25 PM1/25/17
to cascobay-announce

If anyone needs to contact Casco Bay DE, Athena Mann, please send a message to athen...@scouting.org, or call 207-797-5252 x. 34 weekdays, or cell 207-737-4641.

Please let us know...

Where will your unit go to Summer Camp?

When might you invite a Friends of Scouting presenter?  (Court of Honor or Blue and Gold) message Marc Libby at marc...@ptcbsa.org

Is your Recharter well underway, and ready to be turned into council?  Do you need assistance?

Please send a message of reply to Athena at athen...@scouting.org, or your unit Commissioner :)

 Please see the collection of attached files for supplemental details and information!

 *Editor’s note: This is the bi-monthly Casco Bay District Newsletter.

Each month we will be sending out newsletters on or about the 1st and 15th of the month via this email list.  All other communications will come from the Casco Bay group on Facebook. Please like the Casco Bay District group on Facebook to receive those other updates – and ask that the parents of your units do the same! On it we share other news, recognition, cool scouting news stories, and reminders on training and other events.  For those Scouters who choose not to use Facebook we have a special email list to make sure you get the information posted to Facebook. To be included in that list, please email Athen...@scouting.org and include “Not on Facebook” in the subject line.

Roundtable News

February Roundtable will include a Summer Camp Extravaganza!  Special Guests will highlight New programs at Hinds and Bomazeen, and there will be food!  Beans and Dogs, coleslaw and cornbread, too! Don't miss this informative evening with food and fellowship!  Please bring a small donation to help cover the cost of dinner!  Many thanks to Mike L'Abbe our District Program Chair for planning  and volunteering to cook for us!

Recognition!

District Award of Merit - It is award and recognition season!   At the district level, we are soliciting nominees for the District Award of Merit!  If you know of a scouter who has provided exemplary service to the greater scouting community in 2016, we would love to hear of your recommendations!  Please contact us with your ideas on WHO is the best of the best in District, so we can recognize them at the March District Awards and Recognition Banquet! See the attached nomination form.

 Silver Beaver – is there someone you know of who has provided a lifetime of service and support to the greater Council in scouting?  The Silver beaver Award is the highest Council-level recognition for volunteer service, and it was amazing to see last year’s award winners!  Who do you think deserves this high honor?  Send us your ideas!  See the attached nomination form.

 Unit Scouter of the Year Award – As in past years, we ask that each Unit Leader and Unit Committee Chair nominate to us their best adult volunteer from 2016 for special recognition!  As you reflect on your units performance in 2016, please send us the name (and reasons) for this person to be recognized as the one who supported your unit the MOST! Nominations are accepted as emails.

 UNIT EXCELLENCE AWARDS! It is time now for unit leaders and unit committees to reflect on your unit’s performance over the past year, and then self-score and certify those results on the Journey to Excellence (JTE) form (attached).  Does your unit measure up to the GOLD level?  Please complete the forms and mail or scan/email them in to us for recognition!  What better way to celebrate your well-run unit than to conduct the evaluation?  Unit ribbons for JTE participants at the GOLD level will be presented at the District banquet!  We think the JTE form is a critical and important tool for unit committees to review and use to measure how you are doing!

Other Awards!  Do you have something else you want to recognize your unit volunteers with?  We are always looking for great suggestions!

*See and complete attached forms for recognition.

Annual Rechartering

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/lTKuSochoxfen4X7wg969nVbLFfZQ6n0lMqip2csft36pRU9hHOUnqrRRBscdBAgLDConN8vsIvdzuRq3-n1-pVqEYANLJR0gzJn-pbCnD7XbB3jkubbOn564I6eyMZ4vleFMVE8As a reminder, all units – your annual chartering is a requirement for active membership – memberships begin 1/1, and end 12/31, each year.  It is critical that your unit completes the process each Fall in order to not create a break in membership, insurance coverage, and other benefits!

Recharter quick tips:

1.      Make sure your unit has assigned someone to do the rechartering!

2.      You must log into the system as a new user even though you did the recharter last year.

3.      All adults must have a current youth protection certificate.

4.      Review recharter report.  This report will advise you if there is any paperwork that will need to be turned in with the recharter.

5.      If you have not received your worksheet with your access code on it, please contact your unit commissioner or email Michelle at ittake...@gmail.com

6.      Once the report has printed, please make sure it is signed and turned into Pine Tree Council.

7.      Registration Fees will be $25 per person on the recharter. (Boys' Life is $12.)

8.      NOTE – Adults not directly affiliated with a unit but participating at the District or Council level were mailed notices to pay up their 2017 memberships in November!  Please get those in ASAP so the District and Council rechartering paperwork can also be completed this month!

IMPORTANT NOTE – IF YOUR UNIT HAS NOT COMPLETED THE RECHARTERING PROCESS BY NOW, UNIT ADVANCEMENT AND OTHER MEMBERSHIP FEATURES AND BENEFITS MAY BE ON HOLD UNTIL YOUR PAPERWORK IS COMPLETE.

 https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/Foc4r1E2q1b1agFhiwdNkR6L79nqPMPXaoQ3AB1xJnDWFx5q75VXP25HszHzEs_4u3eWHYbreGaG7jy5hXR5qfTntxk9WXTvi0jsqxFwGDANHSVPljG_ydYy3vHCnex2kwgzmUMd

Cub Scouts News

District Pinewood Derby - Hosted by Pack 45, Freeport.
Please join us Saturday, April 8th, at the Freeport Middle School to cheer on the top racers of our Packs. Stay tuned for more information.  Online registration will be available soon!  Be sure to follow the Pine Tree Council Pinewood Derby rules, to qualify to race at your Pack, and District level. A council race expected to take place at Scout O Rama. Scouts who are selected as their District's Top racer will have the opportunity to take part in the Council Derby.  See attachments for Derby rules or find at; http://pinetreebsa.org/documents/2017/01/pine-tree-council-pinewood-derby-rules.pdf
Check our - Pine Tree Council Facebook & Casco Bay Facebook - for Harlem Globetrotters, Sun. March 12 - Hockey Night, UMaine, Feb. 10 - Opportunities - Leader Trainings - Events

Revised Cub Scout Advancement Requirements - BSA has released modifications to the Cub Scout Adventures Program. The purpose is to increase Advancement and allow for more flexibility at the Den level. Previously, adventures took up to three weeks to complete, with the new modifications, they should take no more than two. These modifications should be implemented immediately as Dens begin new adventures, not to disrupt their current programming.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2016/11/30/cub-scout-modifications/

Scout O Rama - Saturday, May 13th, at L.L.Bean Discovery Park, with Camporee, Friday 05/12-05/14 at Recompense Shores campground! Mark your unit calendars today!  This event is a great Recruiting opportunity; all the fun of scouting in one place, one day.  Invite your families to join in the Saturday's activities and invite new youth to attend with your unit!  Consider hosting a booth, and sharing what you do Best!  Looking for units to share their "Best Practices," in all things Scouting!

Boy Scout News

National Jamboree – There's still space for more Scouts to join the Pine Tree Council 2017 National Jamboree Contingent. This year we will be sending two troops and a crew.  Our preference is to fill all slots with Pine Tree Council youth before we open these slots up to youth in other councils who have expressed an interest. You can reserve a youth spot with a deposit of $100. Please encourage a Scout Today! To reserve a spot and for more information, https://scoutingevent.com/218-9631

 Winter Camp – February 19 to 24. Winter Camp is a weeklong provisional resident camp program for Scouts 13 years and older and at least First Class Rank. Provisional means you sign-up as an individual Scout. Cost is $330.00 per person (early bird is $300 if paid in full by January 15.)   A $50.00 deposit holds your space.

Klondike 2017 - Bradbury Mountain Campground, Pownal – February 4

Join us on a journey back in time to the age of the first Boy Scouts and their scouting skills. But that’s not all! We will be bringing back the 21st century with us! Compare orienteering with a compass to a GPS locator! Building fire with sticks or flint and steel! We would love to have you join the us this time traveling journey!

Boy Scout Advancement - All Boy Scouts should be transitioned to the 2016 requirements, regardless of rank by January 1, 2017. See:

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/program_update/pdf/Transitioning_New_Requirements_2016.pdf

Merit Badge College – see the attached flyer and calendar listing below!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/C9wbbRFB30yxKaZblBUdtI3JGK3op_0iFcsfyiyG33RtJpjRoXXQl_BMMH2EOdC05DNvjen_MQHL86Q4esYd0J2jLQ68vaBMdyZg7rwvlH9Q0dABbAQZAdhtGL14aGi_ZIsx5PQD

 Venturing News - Jody Hart, jody...@ptcbsa.org  phone: (207) 608-1894

 Venture Leader Training coming soon!

Order of the Arrow News

Casco Bay Chapter will meet on February 1st, at the Windham LDS Church at 7PM (the usual date and time). This meeting is open to all youth and adult members of the Order who are current dues paying members.  The OA will be calling on units to invite them in for elections, soon.  If you are new, and would like more information about the OA and the election process, or would like more information on What the OA is, please inquire with our Casco Bay, OA Chapter Advisor, Arthur Morse at, agm...@gwi.net.  Thank you to the OA for planning and hosting the Klondike!

 https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/TNU_mVrHRu9hRFXIj7zhVXCijI3L0kt7UxXa-RYiN6bAtc1VpfDjHPcYyVpT_O0-edp7EjrtF-bWnoqkff9gwo-lsaHP_kDgExxwZm_63C8A9lLzs9WyfOOrwWPfebppfi05xpvG

Council News

Management Team Seminar

Thank you to the Casco Bay District Volunteers who gave up their Saturday morning to attend, and help present.  Our team worked to set goals for reaching Journey To Excellence for 2017!  We focused our efforts on, leader training, membership, sending Scouts to camp, and reaching Friends of Scouting goals.

Visit 247Scouting (aka Black Pug) to register for training, scout experiences and camp opportunities.  New activities are added as they are developed.  Please check this site regularly for things to do throughout Council and beyond!

https://scoutingevent.com/?OrgKey=BSA218

Did you know?

STEM Scouts is making waves in the STEM education community (science, technology, engineering, and math), and according to a recent article in Fast Company magazine, the BSA pilot program is making a big difference in the lives of students, parents, and educators alike. See a more detailed story at:

http://scoutingnewsroom.org/blog/fast-company-features-bsas-approach-stem-learning/

Commissioners Corner

District Commissioner’s Roster – Who is your Unit Commissioner?

From CB's DE

A Big Thank You to everyone that has welcomed me to the Casco Bay Family!  I look forward to visiting each unit. Thank you, to all of You, Casco Bay Scout leaders and committee members who help keep the Scouting Movement alive and well in your towns and cities.  You bring many gifts to the youth you work with each week; time, talents, patients, loyalty, friendship, and good cheer!  Thank you for continuing this great gift of Scouting, for all of our children.  The love you put into the program will reach beyond those with whom you have direct contact.

Meetings of the District

Roundtable – 7:00 PM on the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Windham LDS Church, 755 River Rd, Windham, Maine 04062

District Commissioner’s Meeting – 6:00 PM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at CPort Credit Union, 285 Forest Ave, Portland, Me 04101

District Committee Meeting - 7:00 PM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at CPort Credit Union, 285 Forest Ave, Portland, Me 04101

CALENDAR

2017

January–March:  Family Friends of Scouting Season

JANUARY

7, 14, 21, 28:  Merit Badge College, LLBean (Saturdays)

FEBRUARY

4:  Klondike Derby (Organized and Presented by the Order of the Arrow) (Sat) Bradbury Mountain State Park!

1: Roundtable!

8: District Committee Meeting / District Commissioners Meeting

19-24:  Winter Camp  (Sun-Fri), Camp Hinds, Raymond

MARCH

1: Silver Beaver Nomination period closes

1: Roundtable!

8: District Committee Meeting / District Commissioners Meeting

11:  University of Scouting – Advancement Training – Freeport High School

15: Veterans Awards (30 + years) forms must be received if they are to be awarded at the CARB

25:  Casco Bay District Recognition Dinner, Windham Veteran’s Center, 6 PM.

31: Registration closes for the Pine Tree Council Youth Recognition Banquet

APRIL

1:  Pine Tree Council Training Conference (Sat) - Gray/New Gloucester High School

5: Roundtable!

8:  District Pinewood Derby - Pack 45, Freeport  (Sat)

8:  Pine Tree Council Youth Recognition Banquet - (Eagle, Quartermaster, Venturing Dinner)  (Sat), Elks Club, 1945 Congress St, Portland

12: District Committee Meeting / District Commissioners Meeting

21: Registration closes for the Council Adult Recognition Dinner

29:  Council Adult Recognition Dinner (Sat)

MAY

3: Roundtable!

10: District Committee Meeting / District Commissioners Meeting

11, 18, 25: (Thursdays)- Training - SM/ASM/Troop Committee, St. Charles Borromeo Parish Hall, McKeen St., Brunswick

13:  Scout-O-Rama (Saturday)- LL Bean, Discovery Park - Freeport

12-14:  Scout-O-Rama Camping - Recompence Shore Campground, Freeport

JUNE

25–30:  National Youth Leadership Training (Sun–Fri)

JULY

19–28:  National Scout Jamboree - The Summit, New River Gorge, West Virginia

SEPTEMBER

15–17:  Wood Badge Weekend 1, Camp Hinds

OCTOBER

6–8:  Wood Badge Weekend 2, Camp Hinds

13–15:  Fall Camporee

14:  Den Chief Training at the Camporee

--

To submit content for this newsletter email the editor at cbnews...@ptcbsa.org

---

To submit content for this newsletter email the editor at cbnews...@ptcbsa.org
---

To submit content for this newsletter email the editor at cbnews...@ptcbsa.org
---

2017 Klondike Derby Flyer (ML).pdf
2017 Silver Beaver Packet.pdf
DAM Nomination Form 33720 with fields.pdf
pine-tree-council-pinewood-derby-rules.pdf
Camping Kick Off 2017 hi res.pdf