Casco Bay Newsletter

Athena Mann

Dec 2, 2016, 10:17:53 PM12/2/16
to cascobay...@ptcbsa.org

If anyone needs to contact Casco Bay DE, Athena Mann, please send a message to athen...@scouting.org, or call 207-797-5252 x. 34 weekdays, or cell 207-737-4641.

*Editor’s note: This is the bi-monthly Casco Bay District Newsletter.

Each month we will be sending out newsletters on or about the 1st and 15th of the month via this email list.  All remaining communications will come from the Casco Bay group on Facebook.

**Facebook Updates**: We are minimizing the use of this email group, cascobay-announce, to the bi-monthly newsletter and emergency communications. Other information will be posted to Facebook as it comes in. Please like the Casco Bay District group on Facebook to receive those updates. For those Scouters who choose not to use Facebook we will start a special email list to make sure you get the information posted to Facebook. To be included in that list, please email Athen...@scouting.org and include “Not on Facebook” in the subject line.

Roundtable NewsChristmas Edition!

December Roundtable will be at 7 p.m. at the LDS Church, 755 River Road, Windham. The Order of the Arrow Casco Bay Chapter meeting will meet at the same time at the same location.  The Boy Scout theme this month will be on the Patrol Method.

Please note that the District will be providing Youth Protection Training at 6:30 before the December Roundtable for any parent or Scouter who would like to become youth protection trained. This training is required for rechartering, so PLEASE get your registered adults to this event!

Because it’s Christmas we promise to bring snacks!

If you need assistance with Rechartering, bring them with you to Roundtable. There will be Commissioners on hand to help answer your questions.  Bring a laptop to work on it there!

Recharter

Recharter quick tips:

1.     Make sure your unit has assigned someone to do the rechartering!

2.     You must log into the system as a new user even though you did the recharter last year.

3.     All adults must have a current youth protection certificate.

4.     Review recharter report.  This report will advise you if there is any paperwork that will need to be turned in with the recharter.

5.     If you have not received your worksheet with your access code on it, please contact your unit commissioner or email Michelle at ittake...@gmail.com

6.     Once the report has printed, please make sure it is signed and turned into Pine Tree Council.

7.     Registration Fees will be $25 per person on the recharter. (Boys' Life is $12.)

8.     NOTE – Adults not directly affiliated with a unit but participating at the District or Council level were mailed notices to pay up their 2017 memberships in November!  Please get those in ASAP so the District and Council rechartering paperwork can also be completed this month!

Scouting for Food 2016

Scouting for Food 2016 has been completed and we thank all of our Units for their participation. Thank you to all. Some of our units posted their events on our Casco Bay District Facebook page, which is awesome!

Our goal was to collect over 25 tons of food to support those who need our help. We are still waiting for reports from some units, of the pounds of food they collected.  Please be sure to send your report to Athena Mann so we can have an updated total for the next newsletter!

Your unit can still participate as we go through the year – we know some units do this in the Spring, when food pantry stocks are at their lowest.  We will keep our “kit” to help you hold these drives at:

pinetreebsa.org/documents/2016/10/scouting-for-food-2016.pdf  Please share your Spring totals with us!

Popcorn Prizes - Please be sure to order prizes for your Unit.  Some are already arriving.

Top Selling Units - Will be announced next Friday!   For all youth who are eligible for scholarship funds, please send their order forms into council, attention Ken Sparta.

Cub Scouts New

“Every Scout deserves a trained leader.”

BALOO Training  (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation) Saturday, December 3, 2016,  8:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., at Gray/New Gloucester High School, 10 Libby Hill Rd, Gray, ME.  For more information please contact Michelle Lefebvre at ittake...@gmail.com.  This one day orientation is mandatory for at least one unit adult at any pack overnighter.

Boy Scout News

National Jamboree – The Pine Tree Council 2017 National Jamboree Contingent is filling up fast. This year we will be sending two troops and a crew.  Our preference is to fill all slots with Pine Tree Council youth before we open these slots up to youth in other council who have expressed an interest. You can reserve a youth spot with a deposit of $100.  To reserve a spot and for more information, https://scoutingevent.com/218-9631

Winter Camp – February 19 to 24. Winter Camp is a weeklong provisional resident camp program for Scouts 13 years and older and at least First Class Rank. Provisional means you sign-up as an individual Scout. Cost is $330.00 per person (early bird is $300 if paid in full by January 15.)   A $50.00 deposit holds your space.

Venturing News - Jody Hart, jody...@ptcbsa.org

phone: (207) 608-1894

Order of the Arrow News

Casco Bay Chapter will meet on December 7th at the Windham LDS Church at 7PM (the usual date and time). This meeting is open to all youth and adult members of the Order who are current dues paying members.

The Order of the Arrow, Madockawanda Lodge, Annual OA Member Banquet will be held, Saturday, December 3, 11:30-12:30 check-in, dinner begins at 12:30 p.m.  This year's banquet is at the Elks Lodge, 1945 Congress Street, Portland, Maine  04102

Unit leaders may reach Arthur Morse at agm...@gwi.net with any questions and to request OA event support for crossovers and other ceremonies.

Council News

Pine Tree Counci’s 39th Annual, Distinguished Citizen Award Dinner honoring Shawn Moody of Moody’s Collision Centers on December 6 at 5:30 PM at the Holiday Inn by the Bay in Portland. For more information, please check your snail mail for a letter.

Please join us for the Council Coordinated Program meeting, Monday, December 5th, 6:30 p.m., at the Freeport Library.  Come hear from the top, what’s happening Council wide and share in the conversation.

Visit 247Scouting (aka Black Pug) to register for training, scout experiences and camp opportunities.

https://scoutingevent.com/?OrgKey=BSA218

Did you know?

Maine Forest Yurts has a special deal for scouting units wanting to stay in their yurts this winter!  Call them and if you stay in their yurts you may get visited by Survivor Bob!

District Commissioner’s Roster – Who is your Unit Commissioner?

Meetings of the District

Roundtable – 7:00 PM on the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Windham LDS Church, 755 River Rd, Windham, Maine 04062

District Commissioner’s Meeting – 6:00 PM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at CPort Credit Union, 285 Forest Ave, Portland, Me 04101

District Committee Meeting - 7:00 PM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at CPort Credit Union, 285 Forest Ave, Portland, Me 04101

CALENDAR - 2016

DECEMBER

1:  Take Order Popcorn Money Due **Still receiving payments.  Be on the look-out, MISSING popcorn will arrive at Council soon.

3:  BALOO Training, Gray/New Gloucester High School

            Saturday, 8:30 a.m.–1:00 p.m.

3:  Order of the Arrow Annual Member Banquet, Elks Club, Portland 12:30 p.m.

5: Council Coordinated meeting, 6:30 p.m.- Freeport Public Library

6:  Council Distinguished Citizen Award Dinner - Holiday Inn by the Bay, Portland

7: Roundtable Meeting - 7:00 - 8:30 pm

               6:30 pm Youth Protection Training

8:  Merit Badge Counselor Training- 6:30pm – 8:30pm

            Youth Protection Training - LLBean, Camping Dept. Atrium, Freeport

13: Council Coordinated meeting, 6:30-8:00 p.m. - Freeport Public Library

14: District Commissioners Meeting - 6:00 pm

14: District Committee Meeting - 7:00pm

15:  Prize Orders Popcorn Due- log in to:  http://scouting.trails-end.com/

2017

January–March:  Family Friends of Scouting Season

JANUARY

7:  Council, Management Team Seminar- 8:00 am-12:00 pm

            LDS Chapel, 545 Maple Hill Rd., Auburn

7, 14, 21, 28:  Merit Badge College, LLBean (Saturdays)

FEBRUARY

4:  Klondike Derby (Order of the Arrow) (Sat)

19-24:  Winter Camp  (Sun-Fri), Camp Hinds, Raymond

MARCH

11:  University of Scouting  (Sat), Freeport High School

25:  Casco Bay District Recognition Dinner, Windham Veteran’s Center, 6 PM.

APRIL

1:  Pine Tree Council Training Conference  (Sat)

            Gray/New Gloucester High School

8:  District Pinewood Derby - Pack 45, Freeport  (Sat)

8:  Pine Tree Council Youth Recognition Banquet

            (Eagle, Quartermaster, Venturing Dinner)  (Sat)

            Elks Club, 1945 Congress St, Portland

29:  Council Recognition Dinner  (Sat)

MAY

11, 18, 25: (Thursdays)- Training - SM/ASM/Troop Committee St. Charles Borromeo Parish Hall, McKeen St., Brunswick

13:  Scout-O-Rama (Saturday)- LL Bean, Discovery Park - Freeport

12-14:  Scout-O-Rama Camping - Recompence Shore Campground, Freeport

JUNE

25–30:  National Youth Leadership Training (Sun–Fri)

JULY

19–28:  National Scout Jamboree

            The Summit, New River Gorge, West Virginia

SEPTEMBER

15–17:  Wood Badge Weekend 1, Camp Hinds

OCTOBER

6–8:  Wood Badge Weekend 2, Camp Hinds

13–15:  Fall Camporee

14:  Den Chief Training at the Camporee