Casco Bay District Newsletter

Athena Mann

Nov 19, 2016, 4:33:56 PM11/19/16
to cascobay...@ptcbsa.org

 Sorry to be a few days late, folks.  Here it is!

*Editor’s note: This is the bi-monthly Casco Bay District Newsletter. Each month we will be sending out newsletters on the 1st and 15th of the month via this email list. Please note that this is going out two days early because of the Fall Camporee. All remaining communications will come from Facebook.

**Facebook Updates**: We are minimizing the use of this email group cascobay-announce to the bi-monthly newsletter and emergency communications. Other information will be posted to Facebook as it comes in. Please like the Casco Bay District group on Facebook to receive those updates. For those Scouters who choose not to use Facebook we will start a special email list to make sure you get the information posted to Facebook. To be included in that list, please email Judy....@scouting.org and include “Not on Facebook” in the subject line.

Roundtable News

December Roundtable will be at 7:00 p.m. at the LDS Church, 755 River Road, Windham. The Order of the Arrow Casco Bay Chapter meeting will meet at the same time at the same location

Please note that the District will be providing youth protection training at 6:30 before the December Roundtable for any parent or Scouter who would like to become youth protection trained.

Recharter

Recharter quick tips:

 1.     Make sure your unit has assigned someone to do the rechartering!

2.     You must log into the system as a new user even though you did the recharter last year.

3.     All adults must have a current youth protection certificate.

4.     4. Review recharter report this report will advise you if there is any paperwork that will need to be turned in with the recharter.

5.     If you have not received your worksheet with your access code on it, please contact your unit commissioner.  For Casco Bay district please contact Michelle @ ittake...@gmail.om

6.     Once the report has printed please make sure it is signed and turned into Pine Tree Council.

7.     Fees will be $25 per person on the recharter.

Cub Scouts News

Scouting for Food 2016 sponsored by Dead River Company will take place on November 12th (Distribution) and 19th (pick-up). Our goal is to collect over 25 tons of food to support Maine’s food insecure families. Teach our Scouts about being good citizens within the community and to raise awareness Scouting and the Pine Tree Council in our local communities. The Scouting for Food Unit Coordinator Kit can be found here. Unit Leaders are asked to email Athen...@scouting.org to let them know they are participating in the Scouting for Food Program. Please note that we are encouraging local units to make sure donations are first and foremost shared with local food pantries and school “back pack” programs.

Boy Scout News

National Jamboree – Please note that the Pine Tree Council 2017 National Jamboree Contingent is filling up fast. This year we will be sending two troops and a crew and spots are filling up fast. Our preference is to fill all slots with Pine Tree Council youth before we open these slots up to youth in other council who have expressed an interest. You can reserve a youth spot with a deposit of $100.

Winter Camp – February 19th to 24th. Winter Camp is a weeklong provisional resident camp program for Scouts 13 years and older and at least First Class Rank. Provisional means you sign-up as an individual Scout. Cost is $330.00 per person (early bird is $300 if paid in full by January 15th.) A $50.00 deposit holds your space.

Scouting for Food 2016 sponsored by Dead River Company will take place on November 12th (Distribution) and 19th (pick-up). Our goal is to collect over 25 tons of food to support Maine’s food insecure families. Teach our Scouts about being good citizens within the community and to raise awareness Scouting and the Pine Tree Council in our local communities. The Scouting for Food Unit Coordinator Kit can be found here. Unit Leaders are asked to email Athen...@scouting.org to let them know they are participating in the Scouting for Food Program. Please note that we are encouraging local units to make sure donations are first and foremost shared with local food pantries and school “back pack” programs.

Venturing News

November 5th Venture Leader Specific Training AND Crew Committee Challenge Boys and Girls Club of Augusta, 22 Armory Street, Augusta, Maine. Registration 8:30 – 9:00, training 9:00 – noon and 1:00 – 3:00. FREE lunch from noon – 1:00 will be homemade pizzas (supplies donated by Boys and Girls Club) Drinks are provided. To register, contact Jody Hart, jody...@ptcbsa.org phone: (207) 608-1894

Order of the Arrow News

Casco Bay Chapter will meet on December 7th at the Windham LDS Church at 7PM (the usual date and time). This meeting is open to all youth and adult members of the Order who are current dues paying members.

Unit leaders may reach Arthur Morse at agm...@gwi.net with any questions and to request OA event support for crossovers and other ceremonies.

Council News

Save the Date for the 2016 Pine Tree Council Distinguished Citizen Award Dinner honoring Shawn Moody of Moody’s Collision Centers on December 6 at 5:30 PM at the Holiday Inn By the Bay in Portland. For more information, please look forward to our next newsletter.

Training

BALOO Training – December 3, 2016 8:30 a.m. at Gray/New Gloucester High School, 10 Libby Hill Rd, Gray, ME. For more information please contact Michelle Lefebvre at ittake...@gmail.com.

Did you know?

The Troop 160 Memorial Scout Camp at Spectacle Pond in Osborn, Maine is available for use year round absolutely free. This camp is located approximately 1 hour from Bangor and promises to provide Pine Tree Council Scouting Units with an amazing wilderness camping experience. Click here for more information.

District Key 3 & Who’s Who Contacts

District Chairman

Brian Butler

Brian....@amec.com

(207) 893-1849

District Commissioner

Sue Dexter

sue...@yahoo.com

(207) 650-5318

District Executive

Athena Mann

Athen...@scouting.org

(207) 797-5252

District Committee Roster – Who is responsible for the functions of the District?

District Commissioner’s Roster – Who is your Unit Commissioner?

Meetings of the District

Roundtable – 7:00 PM on the 1st Wednesday of the month at the Windham LDS Church, 755 River Rd, Windham, Maine 04062

District Commissioner’s Meeting – 6:00 PM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at CPort Credit Union, 285 Forest Ave, Portland, Me 04101

District Committee Meeting - 7:00 PM on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at CPort Credit Union, 285 Forest Ave, Portland, Me 04101

CALENDAR

November 5 and 12:  Scouting for Food

November 19th: Take Order Distribution

December 1: Take Order Money Due

December 6: Council DCAD 5:30 PM Reception at Holiday In By the Bay

December 15th: Prize Orders Due

---2017---

January-March: Family Friends of Scouting Season

January 21:  Cub Leader, Boy Scout Leader and Den Chief Training

February 5:  Klondike Derby

February 19-24:  Winter Camp

March 11th:  University of Scouting

April 1:  District Pinewood Derby

April 8:  Youth Recognition Banquet (Council)

April 29th: Volunteer Recognition Banquet (Council)
May 11, 18, 25:  Thursday night SM/ASM/Troop Committee

May 13:  Scout o rama

May 20:  Cub Basic Training

June 25 through 28: National Youth Leadership Training

July 19-28: PTC National Jamboree Contingent

--
To submit content for this newsletter email the editor at cbnews...@ptcbsa.org
---