Casco Bay News - June Roundtable, 90th, Navy Day

cascobay-announce

Jun 4, 2017, 10:25:41 PM6/4/17
to cascobay-announce

Hello Casco Bay Scouters!

Join us at Roundtable, Wednesday, June 7th, for a talk by Mike Wilson, Senior Program Director for the Northern Forest Center. In 2014, Mike coordinated a 325 mile canoe expedition through the Maine Woods in celebration of the 150th anniversary of Thoreau’s The Maine Woods. He and his son were also the first people to “put in” and through paddle the Katahdin Woods and Waters National monument on the day it was designated by President Obama. (Well, the trip took more than a day!)

Mike has been involved with policy, conservation, recreation and economic development in the Maine Woods since 1995. He will talk about Katahdin Woods and Waters in the context of greater recreational opportunities for scouts and scouters in across the region (and maybe even explain the difference between the North Maine Woods, the Maine Woods and the Northern Forest)

If you have particular questions you’d like addressed, please let me know in this Facebook post and I’ll get them to him in advance.

We gather at 6:30 for social time and dinner, American Chop Suey and salad. At 7 pm we have our opening and brief announcements.

Also, your Round Table commissioner will be receiving his Woodbadge beads at the end of the Round Table and would love to have anyone from Wood Badge N1-218-15 to join us for the beading. There's a vicious rumor that I'm responsible for that says we'll go have libations at Windham Bingas at the end of Round Table to celebrate.

Please feel free to share this info around the council.

(Image for event taken from NPS website)

Camp Hinds 90th Anniversary.  Let's Celebrate... Our Silver Beavers, Veterans Awards, Eagles and more, and the 90th of course!
June 24th, begins at noon.  Please go to the link above for more information.  Register through, https://scoutingevent.com/218-Hinds90th, for the luncheon, Eagle banquet, or barbeque. Closing campfire will begin at 8:30pm.

Hope to see you all there!

Save the Date - Fall Kick-off!
Wednesday, August 2 - Location TBD.

Fun time with Icebreaker, and Singing and Food and Door Prizes

What Scouting Means to Me!

NAVY Day!
August 21, 2017, Monday, 9 am-12 pm and 1-4 pm.  Come meet active duty members of the US Navy, as they share their skills and passion with us. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorers, Venturers, Sea Scouts, all are welcome.  Bring the whole family!  Bring friends for an awesome Scout Recruiting activity.

Below is a list of what will be available.
Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team w/bomb suits, bomb-diffusing robots,
USS Constitution Sailors who provide a STEM-related historical presentation and a replica of the gun deck,
The Sea Perch program that allows kids to actually drive the Sea Perch robot in a mobile dive tank,
Sailors from the USS Maine, a ballistic missile submarine,
A Navy band, who will assist with the music Merit badge, and entertain us!

A full schedule of the day will be coming soon!  Overnight camping will be made available to Boy Scout Troops, Sea Scouts Ships and Venturing Crews who would be interested and helping to break down camp on Sunday, August 20th, and help with set up :)  Please contact Athena Mann, athen...@scouting.org and 207-797-5252 x 34 or 207-737-4641, FMI, and to schedule to camp over.

There's still time to register for a summer ADVENTURE!  Visit our registration page to choose your path.
We want you to get the most out of your summer Scouting experience.