Docker Image of PHP 7.3 Compiled from Source

Clinton Otte-Ford

Sep 21, 2017, 7:08:39 PM9/21/17
to PHP TestFest
Hello all!

I decided to break down and compile php from source following Sammy Kaye Powers' videos. After doing this I realized that I could commit the docker image to docker hub, so that whoever didn't want to go through all the install steps could just download a ready to go container. Here's the page for the repo:

The base image is forked from https://hub.docker.com/r/phusion/baseimage/ , which I went with simply because it had ubuntu 16.04 with apt-get already installed. I then added all of the packages Sammy did plus valgrind (which wasn't present for some reason). I will hopefully be adding more documentation to it - though really you can just go to the docs for https://hub.docker.com/r/phusion/baseimage/

The gist of it (assuming you have docker installed on your machine) is below.

Of course this image only has php 7.3 on it - so phpqa is still useful for testing multiple versions without compiling them all - but I'm still not sure how / if you can get the .out files to inform your test writing.

Sorry for slamming your mailboxes - I hope you find this useful!

Best,
Clinton

Clone Docker Image
1. docker login

2. docker pull otteford/madison-phptestfest-2017-rough

3. docker run otteford/madison-phptestfest-2017-rough

4. docker ps -a
-note/copy the container-id

5. In a separate terminal tab/window
docker  exec -t -i CONTAINER-ID bash -l

Leave docker interactive shell: Ctrl-p + Ctrl-q
(I'm not sure this always works)

Run tests:

Run all tests:
sapi/cli/php run-tests.php -P

Run specific test:
sapi/cli/php run-tests.php -P tests/basic/001.phpt

OR
Single
make test TESTS=tests/basic/001.phpt

Multiple
make test TESTS="tests/basic/001.phpt ext/standard/tests/random"