KCPHPUG - First TestFest 2017 Meeting

Eric Poe

Sep 7, 2017, 10:34:27 AM9/7/17
to PHP TestFest
We had about 10 people show up and I did my best to introduce the concepts of TestFest.

  • Showed where the tutorials are on phptestfest.org
  • Showed qa.php.net, gcov.php.net, & bugs.php.net
  • Showed the nascent slideshare on https://github.com/phpcommunity/phptestfest.org/blob/master/slides/php-testfest-intro.rst
  • Talked about forking off of https://github.com/phpcommunity/phptestfest-php-src
    • set up local git
    • clone our fork
    • set up git-remote for phpcommunit/phptestfest-php-src
    • how to sync, via git, between phpcommunit/phptestfest-php-src, our fork, and the local clone
    • branching strategies and how to create a branch
  • Talked about the potential for prizes. So far, with 2 submissions under our belt, my group is guaranteed to win all the prizes. ;)
  • Created a coverage test for ext-pspell, then discovered that that extension is not installed as part of docker-phpqa
    • Used that experience as an example for why one might want to compile PHP from source
  • Looked at a bug and created a failing test for it to prove that the bug still exists
    • Talked about how to craft a PR message
    • Created the PR
  • Member John Kary created and pushed to PR the first PR for Test Fest. Woo!
Lessons learned:
  • It would have been great to have selected a bug and a code-coverage to hit ahead of time.
  • I should have compiled a version of PHP against phptestfest-php-src ahead of time
  • I should have created a test & PR against php-src or phptestfest-php-src ahead of time, just to have that fresh experience under my belt
  • This is a really heavy topic for a regular meetup, especially when this is the first meetup attended by some members!
  • This would have gone better had I had the foresight to delegate some of these tasks to other senior members of the group
tl;dr: we introduced 10 devs to PHPTestFest 2017 and submitted 2 PRs in 2 hours. Woo!