Sponsors and Prizes

Ben Ramsey

Aug 11, 2017, 5:40:09 PM8/11/17
to PHP TestFest
Folks,

I need help finding sponsors for prizes! Who would like to take the lead
on this?

To date, we have two prize sponsors: Rogue Wave and Nomad PHP. I think
what they’re providing is awesome, but I’d love to have some more prizes
in the mix to raffle off.

Speaking of which, I think the majority of our prizes will be handled as
a raffle, where each “good” test submission counts as an entry.

Additionally, I think we could award prizes for the following
categories:

* Individual with the most “good” test submissions
* User group with the most unique individual test submitters who have
submitted at least one “good” test submission

In addition to the categories above, I’d love to be able to provide
something special for the following:

* Each individual who submits at least one “good” test submission who
has NEVER contributed to core

Please note that I’m using the phrase “good test submission” instead of
“accepted submissions.” This is so that we aren’t limited to tests that
must be reviewed and accepted by core developers.

We need to define what “good” means:

* It must target PHP 7.0, 7.1, and/or 7.2
* It must run
* It must pass
* It must test a condition in php-src that has not been tested before
(this does not mean it cannot cover code that has been covered before,
but it must test something that hasn’t been tested before)
* Anything else?

I’ll start another thread this weekend to discuss submitting tests and
how we’ll review/judge them.

Cheers,
Ben
signature.asc

ad...@7php.com

Aug 12, 2017, 2:21:47 AM8/12/17
to PHP TestFest
Hi Ben,
Ben can this be remote? I can definitely search & send some email to potential sponsors.

To sum up, we need some prizes for the following 3 achievements:

* (Hall-of-fame reward) Individual with the most “good” test submissions
* (Group reward) User group with the most unique individual test submitters who have

  submitted at least one “good” test submission
* (Encouragement reward) Each individual who submits at least one “good” test submission who

  has NEVER contributed to core

rdo...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2017, 3:37:45 AM8/12/17
to PHP TestFest
I can surely help pointing more people to whomever the centralizer is.

Regarding what is "good", I would remove the check for passing, tests for bugs are welcome and would not pass.

Ben Ramsey

Aug 14, 2017, 9:09:19 PM8/14/17
to test...@phpcommunity.org
> On Aug 12, 2017, at 2:37 AM, rdo...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I can surely help pointing more people to whomever the centralizer is.

Thanks! Any help is greatly appreciated!

What I really need is someone who can lead it. I’ve got a lot of stuff
going on, and I’m working on other parts of PHP TestFest, so I need a
volunteer who can keep track of prizes, sponsors, their logos,
communicate with them, get information, etc.

If anyone on this list is intereseted in helping, please let me know.

Khayrattee, is this something you’re interested in leading? You had some
great ideas (loved your names for the rewards). If you’d like to lead,
let me know. I’ll, of course, be available to help. I just need someone
who can do the leg-work, follow-up with sponsors, make some changes to
the website, etc.

> Regarding what is "good", I would remove the check for passing, tests
> for bugs are welcome and would not pass.

Agreed. I guess what I mean is that the test should pass if the
functionality already works as expected, but if it is a verified bug,
the test should fail (until the bug is fixed, but PHP TestFest testers
would not be expected to fix the bug).

-Ben
signature.asc

Khayrattee Wasseem

Aug 15, 2017, 9:21:44 AM8/15/17
to PHP TestFest
Yes Ben sure.
Ideally what's the time-window for getting & finalising the sponsors? I'll start asap in contacting the php-ecosystem.
Also, is there any specific email you want me to CC in my email exchanges with them?

cheers

Ben Ramsey

Aug 19, 2017, 11:39:36 AM8/19/17
to test...@phpcommunity.org
> On Aug 15, 2017, at 8:21 AM, Khayrattee Wasseem <ad...@7php.com> wrote:
>
> Yes Ben sure.
> Ideally what's the time-window for getting & finalising the sponsors? I'll start asap in contacting the php-ecosystem.
> Also, is there any specific email you want me to CC in my email exchanges with them?

Khayrattee,

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this.

I’m currently working on drafting up an approach to awards that came out of our latest planning meeting (see thread here: <https://groups.google.com/a/phpcommunity.org/d/msg/testfest/UjSLZiBQVHw/JBtBCNN0CQAJ>). I’ll share that with this group soon, for comments.

In the meantime, when you speak with potential sponsors, you can explain what PHP TestFest is (the website should have good information on it now) and let them know that we’re working out details on how awards will work.

Cheers,
Ben
signature.asc

Khayrattee Wasseem