Volunteer Opportunity

Cheryl Neal

Oct 8, 2019, 4:09:24 PM10/8/19
to stu-PHEUnde...@pdx.edu, sphc...@ohsu.edu

Good afternoon!

May I ask you to post to the listserve please?

Would you mind spreading the word with this updated announcement below and attache?

Blood pressure clinics are a fun way to interact with teenagers while screening the youth for high blood pressure and demystifying a seemingly complicated medical concept. Blood Pressure experts visit MIKE classes to support youth in hands-on lessons on how to take blood pressure. High school youth are then guided to take their peers’ blood pressure. For this role, the volunteers   should feel confident both taking blood pressure manually and learning how to show youth how to take blood pressure.

We are seeking blood pressure volunteers in fall 2019 for the following upcoming Blood Pressure Clinics (you are welcome to help with all of these):

De La Salle North Catholic High School in North Portland

·         Thursday, October17, 2019 10:40-11:55 AM

·         Thursday, October17, 2019 12:15-1:30 PM

Hillsboro Big Picture in Hillsboro

·         Wednesday, October 30, 2019 10:50-12:30 PM

RESPONSIBILITIES:

·         Support youth as they gain skills through a hands-on blood pressure activity

·         Notify MIKE Program staff if youth present higher than normal blood pressure

SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS:

·         Experience taking blood pressure with a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope (we can provide)

·         Outgoing and personable

·         Experience in inspiring, energizing, and motivating youth in an educational setting is a plus

·         Enthusiasm for the mission of MIKE Program to empower youth to be health leaders

TRAINING: 15 minute orientation to MIKE program and procedures prior to the start of the class (included in time listed above). Once we receive your application, we’ll be in touch with details.

HOW TO APPLY: Submit a volunteer interest form through the website https://mikeprogram.org/get-involved/become-a-volunteer/ ; or, email Adrienne at men...@mikeprogram.org with questions prior to filling out the form.

Volunteers often have a good time and are excellent at this “done-in-one” volunteer opportunity which they can add to their résumés. It’s also often a good introduction for those who later might want more robust experiences as MIKE mentors to add to their future résumés.

Thank you!

Cheryl

Cheryl Neal, MD

Founder/Executive Director

MIKE | 9155 SW Barnes Rd., Ste. 219 | Portland OR 97225

(O) 503-296-7705 | (C) 503-421-6574 | (F) 503-216-2594

(W) www.mikeprogram.org | (E) che...@mikeprogram.org

MP_LOGO_white_button_20facebook-square_20twitter-sq_20youtube-sq_20flickr-square_20

facebook-square_20twitter-sq_20youtube-sq_20flickr-square_20

2019-2020 fall Blood Pressure Clinic Content Expert.pdf