Save the Date! Friday, December 1 - winter holiday party!

Margie Port-Hansen

Nov 21, 2023, 7:19:50 PM11/21/23
to Sahan Dissanayake, Cesar M. Rodriguez, Grace Arnold, Neal Becker, Riju Joshi, Anh Ly, Randy Bluffstone, John Gallup, Forrest Williams, John Hall, Sarah Tinkler, Hiroyuki Ito, James Woods, Rajiv Sharma, Arnab Mitra, Sudeshna Pal, Chantha Kim, Patricia A Atkinson, ECON-stud...@pdx.edu, Shawn Smallman, Laura Hickman, Gil Miller, Kia Mendoza, Ryan Moczulski, Leah Rosenkranz, Erin Sutherland, Sara Violante, Brittany Von Hoene, Jonathon Wolfe
Hi, everyone;

The Economics Department is having a winter holiday party on Friday, December 1 from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in URBN 470A! After the party, please join us in FAB 10 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. for the last economics seminar of the term. Our own Professor Grace Arnold will be the presenter.
She will discuss "Gender Differences in Labor Market Reactions: Evidence from Firm Restatements."

Food and beverages will be provided at the party. Come and enjoy everyone's company and relax before finals week.
Winter party 2023.png
Stay well,
Margie

Margie Port-Hansen
(Pronouns: she/her/hers)
Office Coordinator
Department of Economics
Portland State University

phone 503-725-3974
fax 503-725-3945
mp...@pdx.edu
www.pdx.edu/economics

Margie Port-Hansen

Nov 28, 2023, 3:52:28 PM11/28/23
to Sahan Dissanayake, Cesar M. Rodriguez, Grace Arnold, Neal Becker, Riju Joshi, Anh Ly, Randy Bluffstone, John Gallup, Forrest Williams, John Hall, Sarah Tinkler, Hiroyuki Ito, James Woods, Rajiv Sharma, Arnab Mitra, Sudeshna Pal, Chantha Kim, Patricia A Atkinson, ECON-stud...@pdx.edu, Shawn Smallman, Laura Hickman, Gil Miller, Kia Mendoza, Ryan Moczulski, Leah Rosenkranz, Erin Sutherland, Sara Violante, Brittany Von Hoene, Jonathon Wolfe
Hi, everyone;

Just a reminder that our winter holiday party is this Friday, December 1 from 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in URBN 470A. Afterwards, join us in FAB 10 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. for the last economics seminar of the term. Our own Professor Grace Arnold will be the presenter. She will discuss "Gender Differences in Labor Market Reactions: Evidence from Firm Restatements." Here is the abstract:

This paper provides evidence that gender influences labor market reactions to an executive's oversight. Using financial restatements, issued when a firm previously releases financial statements containing material omissions or misstatements, we find that women executives face more severe punishments than their male counterparts for the same misconduct. We find that women experienced significantly higher turnover rates the year of the restatement compared to male executives. Further, we find that women executives are marginally more likely to be replaced with male executives. With regard to compensation, we find that women executives experience a significant decline in the proportion of their compensation earned from incentives in the years following the restatement, while men experience no such decline. However, neither women nor men experience a decline in their overall compensation. Overall, the findings suggest that women in the highest rungs of business may suffer harsher consequences for similar mistakes relative to their male peers.