Fall 2023 Economics Seminars

Margie Port-Hansen

Oct 10, 2023, 7:25:21 PM10/10/23
to Cesar M. Rodriguez, Grace Arnold, Sahan Dissanayake, Riju Joshi, Randy Bluffstone, John Hall, Patricia A Atkinson, Neal Becker, Hiroyuki Ito, James Woods, Sudeshna Pal, Rajiv Sharma, Forrest Williams, Arnab Mitra, Sarah Tinkler, John Gallup, ECON-stud...@pdx.edu
Hello, everyone;

Our Fall term department seminars begin this Friday, October 13.  Erin Cottle Hunt from Reed College will be the speaker. Her topic is  "Social Security and Risk Sharing: The Role of Private Pensions."  Her paper is attached. The seminar is in FAB 10 from 2 - 3:30 p.m. and is open to the public.

The other seminars this term are as follows:
  • October 20: Jo Albers, University of Wyoming. Topic: TBD
  • November 17: Emma  Gjerdseth, Oregon State University. Topic: TBD
  • the fourth seminar will be confirmed soon
Please monitor our seminar website for more information.

Stay well,
Margie

Margie Port-Hansen
(Pronouns: she/her/hers)
Office Coordinator
Department of Economics
Portland State University

phone 503-725-3974
fax 503-725-3945
mp...@pdx.edu
www.pdx.edu/economics

SS_pensions_ECH_2023_05_03.pdf

Sarah Tinkler

Oct 23, 2023, 2:38:23 PM10/23/23
to Margie Port-Hansen, Cesar M. Rodriguez, Grace Arnold, Sahan Dissanayake, Riju Joshi, Randy Bluffstone, John Hall, Patricia A Atkinson, Neal Becker, Hiroyuki Ito, James Woods, Sudeshna Pal, Rajiv Sharma, Forrest Williams, Arnab Mitra, John Gallup, ECON-stud...@pdx.edu
Dear all!

We are running out of numbers for new courses. It is my understanding that a course number cannot be reused for at least 5 years after it is retired. We need to stay on top of culling the list of courses in the bulletin to reflect those that are currently taught. This also makes it easier for students since they get frustrated when they see a course that sounds good but they then find out it is never taught. I think for now we have to accept that there will be no new hires in the department. Please pay particular attention to your area of expertise and take a look by following this link:

Here are some proposals from me (so far). I want to meet the October deadline for curriculum change.

EC 201H and EC 202H (Honors)--never taught
EC 417: Women in the Economy and EC 419 Economics of Race and Gender
              Replace with new course EC 466:Economics of Gender, Race and Ethnicity and seek RESR

EC 325: Latin American Economics  Never taught
EC 442: Multinational Enterprises in the Global Economy-Never taught

I believe that a course should be retired if it has not been taught for 3 years, but don't think this rule is enforced. If we were able to make a diversity hire, I think it is reasonable to ask them to teach Gender, Race and Ethnicity since I don't think that we can support two courses in this field.

Let me know if you object to my suggestions or have new suggestions.

Sarah