Materials from "What Can I Do with at Degree in Economics?" workshop

Margie Port-Hansen

Feb 23, 2024, 7:07:25 PMFeb 23
to ECON-stud...@pdx.edu, Sarah Tinkler
Hello, everyone;

Caitlin Sweeny has shared her materials from yesterday's workshop, "What Can I Do with a Degree in Economics?" Please see the two attached documents and the websites below that she suggests are beneficial for students and graduates looking for job opportunities.

She is also available for appointments and can be reached at swe...@pdx.edu

Appointment scheduling with the University Career Center:

https://www.pdx.edu/careers/
University Career Center (UCC) homepage

https://www.pdx.edu/careers/appointments
UCC appointment and drop-in scheduling: You can register for a same-day drop-in meeting starting at 9am. Our 30-minute drop-in meetings are held Monday through Thursday (2 to 3pm).

Resources for exploring career options:

"What can I do with a degree in economics?" workshop
See attached PDF.

https://www.pdx.edu/careers/what-can-i-do-with-a-degree-in and https://www.pdx.edu/careers/what-can-i-do-degree-economics
"What can I do with a degree in _?" pages: You're welcome to look at these pages to learn about what students are doing professionally (following graduation). Know that these lists are not exhaustive but can serve as a starting point in expanding one's knowledge about career options. The heading titled "List of Employers who Posted Jobs in the PSU Job Database" could be a potential starting point within each page.

Job boards and networking resources:

Handshake: PSU's job and internship database

https://oeda.biz/job-board/
Oregon Economic Development Association (OEDA): Job board

LinkedIn: You can use LinkedIn to research occupations and identify people to talk with through informational interviewing, if you'd like.

https://oeda.biz/member-directory/
OEDA: Member directory

https://www.qualityinfo.org/ and https://www.qualityinfo.org/pubs
State of Oregon's Employment Department: Click "Publications" or "Press Release," selectingpress releases/publications of your choosing. All of their press releases list the associated economist that wrote them. You're welcome to email one or more of these economists to compliment their press releases and see if they would be
open to doing an informational interview with you.
Sampling of employers (doing work that directly pertains to economics):

https://oregoneconomicanalysis.com/
Oregon Office of Economic Analysis

https://www.clearesult.com/
CLEAResult Consulting