Re: O2 platform

Dinis Cruz

Dec 1, 2014, 9:50:56 AM12/1/14
to Gavin Roberts, O2 Platform

All nuget packages work on VS 2013 (I use them for example in the TeamMentor codebase)

Its the VS plugin that is currently compiled for VS 2010 but I think it is just a case of recompiling and publishing for 2013

It would be great if you could help

I have published a couple blog posts on how to use the O2 APIs from nuget, have you seen them?

(Note, I CCed the O2 platform mailing list)

On 30 Nov 2014 17:56, "Gavin Roberts" <gavinsw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dinis,

I recently came across the O2 platform on OWASP and began researching how to give it a shot.  In the course of that endeavor, I discovered (quite happily) that there was Visual Studio integration available.  Much to my chagrin, however, these extensions and Nuget packages appear to be targeted at a version of the IDE that are no longer mainstream (2010, specifically).

This led me to check the Github site to find out when the last commits for those components were.  I thought I would get in touch based upon that information.  I suppose the first thing I should ask is whether or not the project in need of someone to update those packages or has the project moved away from that approach?

I have been looking for an OWASP project to contribute to and I would like to offer to do just that on the O2 platform if that would meet the needs of the project.

If you are interested in my help, please let me know and we can talk particulars of my involvement.

Thanks so much,
Gavin Roberts

Dinis Cruz

Dec 1, 2014, 11:18:51 PM12/1/14
to Gavin Roberts, O2 Platform
Hi Gavin, yes there are number of issue trackers that you can use

FluentSharp: https://github.com/o2platform/fluentsharp/issues (see existing issues for a good place to start)

Use the FluentSharp for issues relating to the multiple FluentSharp APIs (which you can get from Nuget

Just in case you didn't saw these, here a couple examples of what you can do with these APIs and VS extension:
Let me know how I can help

Dinis

On 1 December 2014 at 20:08, Gavin Roberts <gavinsw...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have seen the blog posts but I wasn't able to devote a lot of time to working through them thanks to the holiday weekend here. I will have to give them another look over the next few days.

As for the VS extension, I will take a look at it this week and make sure my current build environment will suffice for the work needed or if I need to update my VS install (it should already be good).

Is there a tracker or some other facility that contributors use/should use?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Gavin.

Gavin Roberts

Dec 2, 2014, 12:14:57 AM12/2/14
to Dinis Cruz, O2 Platform

Awesome, thank you.  I will definitely sit down a down and run through the blog articles you linked.  There may have been a bit of confusion on my part with regard to how the platform was intended to be used but after having browsed some of the core projects I think I've got myself sorted and the blog posts should help cover the rest.

Oh, and I should have realized the GitHub project issue trackers were the best place to start so thank you for your patience.  The turkey from the holiday weekend appears to have had a negative effect on my comprehension skills.  ;)

I am looking forward to diving in and getting to know the platform (and finding places to contribute), especially in light of the fact that I have fallen into the role of "security guru" at my current place of employment.  We really need a quality tool in our arsenal for .Net security and I think O2 may very well be that tool.

Thanks again and have a great night.
Gavin.

Dinis Cruz

Dec 2, 2014, 12:43:51 AM12/2/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org, dinis...@owasp.org
no worries, happy to help

For app security, I would say the best place to start is with writing IE/WatiN based WebAutomation scripts (see the https://github.com/o2platform/Book_WebAutomation/blob/master/O2Documentation.md for a good description of the APIs).

Then you should move into static analysis and AST access to the source code (checkout the scripts that parse the ASP.NET MVC files and the ones that create MethodStreams)

Dinis

Dinis Cruz

Dec 15, 2014, 12:04:15 AM12/15/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org, dinis...@owasp.org
Hi Gavin, Any luck in running the O2 VS Extension in VisualStudio 2013?

Gavin Roberts

Dec 15, 2014, 5:13:23 PM12/15/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org
I seem to be missing an project type for vsix and I've been trying to get that resolved. It looks like that will be the missing piece that I need before I can recompile the extension. Sorry I haven't responded sooner but my day job (contractor for NASA) demanded most of my time the last couple of weeks. :)

I will hopefully have some time this week as things have slowed down a bit with Orion back on solid ground.

Dinis Cruz

Dec 15, 2014, 6:28:38 PM12/15/14
to O2 Platform
No, probs,

Question, can you paste here a screenshot of the error?

Thanks