WASP O2 - stupid newbie

IAmThatStrange Really

Aug 14, 2014, 3:02:58 PM8/14/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org
Hi, my boss wanted me to use this (or at least look at WASP O2) So I downloaded it from http://o2platform.com.  It didn't "install" so I put it in a directory and started it up to see what it was like.

Now I'm not a developer.  I'm a tester but even at that I was never trained in testing.  I'm good because I don't believe in boxes.
I can code but am not even close to a developer and I code maybe twice a year for about a day... Even still I figured I could eventually learn to script with this puppy.  I can read and do a tiny bit of C#.

Anyway I opened it up and voila, errors right and left.  Nothing but errors with anything everything I tried to do.  The most prevalent was "ERROR CompliationErrors" and there was a TON of "The type or namespace name ...." errors.

So I thought okay let's read the documentation.   so I clicked the Need Help O2 Documentation and got a 404 page.  Sigh  Can I log a bug for the testing application?

Can someone point me to the documentation?  or tutorials?  I've looked at the blog but am not sure if there is a place for an id10t to start.  Some place that a really new newbie can get a start from?

Thanks so much

Dinis Cruz

Aug 15, 2014, 12:17:16 AM8/15/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org
Hey, first thanks for giving O2 a try, hopefully we will be able to make it work for you :)

Can you please download the v5.5 as described at http://blog.diniscruz.com/2014/08/o2-platform-55-rc1-please-give-it-test.htm . That version is much more stable than the 5.3 you are using and hopefully doesn't have the errors you described below (in a way v5.3 was trying to be too cleaver by putting everything inside an exe)

Thanks for pointing the broken links on the main O2 UI (in the 'Need Help?' dropbox). I updated/fixed those links and they now point to the following pages:
In terms of what you want to do with O2, can expand on your current role as tester?

Are you testing WebApps? Web Services, Mobile Apps, Desktop app?

What technological stack are you using? .NET, Java, Javascript, ASP.NET MVC, Spring MVC, etc...

Btw, you might want to take a look at the stand-alone O2 Platform tools at https://bintray.com/o2-platform/O2-Tools,  There ware created (using O2) from a number of O2.Platform.Scripts (the folder included inside the v5.5 zip )

Dinis

IAmThatStrange

Aug 15, 2014, 3:23:49 PM8/15/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org
thank you so much!  Will give it a try.  I'm king of the single tester for number of things so the answer to Are you testing is yes.

We use are primarily using .NET and Java.

Life has a melody. A rhythm of notes which become your existence once played in harmony with the Universe's plan.

Dinis Cruz

Aug 17, 2014, 8:17:30 AM8/17/14
to O2 Platform
Ok, so if you are testing an Web App, I would say your first step is to write a couple scripts to automate some of the workflows available at the target website.

For example the login page?

Take a look at this post and see if you can follow it http://blog.diniscruz.com/2013/08/using-captured-account-details-on-login.html

That post contains a number of good pointers on the workflow I tend to follow when using O2 and Watin

Dinis

IAmThatStrange

Aug 18, 2014, 9:38:08 AM8/18/14
to o2-pl...@owasp.org
Thank you again for all the information.  I'm delighted with 5.5.  Hopefully today I'll have some time to dive deeper.  I'm excited to try your login script.  Thank you so much!

Dinis Cruz

Aug 18, 2014, 10:07:13 AM8/18/14
to O2 Platform

Cool, let us know if you have any issues