I cannot find modsecurity in my /usr/local/ directory

Shakil Ahamed

Aug 9, 2021, 4:21:03 AM8/9/21
to ModSecurity Core Rule Set project
I have installed ModSecurity in Ubuntu 20.xx by following below commands which is mentioned in the official GIT repo.

$ sudo apt-get install g++ flex bison curl doxygen libyajl-dev libgeoip-dev libtool dh-autoreconf libcurl4-gnutls-dev libxml2 libpcre++-dev libxml2-dev
$ cd /opt/
$ cd ModSecurity/
$ git checkout -b v3/master origin/v3/master
$ sh build.sh
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update #[for bindings/python, others/libinjection, test/test-cases/secrules-language-tests]
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

However, I cannot find modsecurity in my /usr/local/ directory therefore I cannot install Apache Connector for ModSecurity.

Can anyone help me to sort this thing?

Regards
Shakil Ahamed

Christian Folini

Aug 9, 2021, 4:31:05 AM8/9/21
to Shakil Ahamed, ModSecurity Core Rule Set project
Hey Shakil,

If running Apache, you need to resort to ModSec 2.9 since the ModSec3 Apache
connector is far from production ready.

ModSec 2.9 on
Apache is the preferred platform for the Core Rule Set anyways. And I suggest
you follow the tutorial at
https://www.netnea.com/cms/apache-tutorial-6_embedding-modsecurity/
if you want to compule yourself.

Best,

Christian

Shakil Ahamed

Aug 9, 2021, 4:42:13 AM8/9/21
to Christian Folini, ModSecurity Core Rule Set project
Hi Christian,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I find the the official documentation that it should support V3.X

Before you compile this software make sure that you have libmodsecurity installed. You can download it from the ModSecurity git repository. For information pertaining to the compilation and installation of libmodsecurity please consult the documentation provided along with it.

With libmodsecurity installed, you can proceed with the installation of the ModSecurity-apache connector. Run the following commands:

$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

And I found a Youtube video where the guy installed V3.X and Apache Connector.

Modsecurity 3:
- Installallation: https://youtu.be/Rvjs4PzkVv8
- Apache connector: https://youtu.be/LfMkKPCVZxk

I see he has followed the same commands that I used, however, in my case there is no sign of modsecurity in /usr/local directory.

Regards
Shakil Ahamed
--
Regards
Shakil Ahamed

Christian Folini

Aug 9, 2021, 4:48:30 AM8/9/21
to Shakil Ahamed, ModSecurity Core Rule Set project
Hey Shakil,

I did not say that it does not exist or that you can not get it to compile.
I just said the Apache connector is not production ready. So if you just want
to play around, then go ahead. Unfortunately, I can not help you with your
compilation problems. If you look for something that you want to put on your
servers to protect your assets, then I suggest you go with ModSec 2.9.

Best,

Christian

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 02:42:01PM +0600, Shakil Ahamed wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I find the the official documentation that it should support V3.X
>

> *Before you compile this software make sure that you have libmodsecurity
> installed. You can download it from the ModSecurity git repository. For
> information pertaining to the compilation and installation of
> libmodsecurity please consult the documentation provided along with it.With
> libmodsecurity installed, you can proceed with the installation of the
> ModSecurity-apache connector. Run the following commands:$ ./autogen.sh$
> ./configure$ make$ sudo make install*

Shakil Ahamed

Aug 9, 2021, 5:38:21 AM8/9/21
to ModSecurity Core Rule Set project, Christian Folini, ModSecurity Core Rule Set project, Shakil Ahamed
I have solved the issue by reinstalling ModSecurity 3

Regards