Federated entity in New Zealand

Andrew van der Stock

Jun 23, 2022, 8:12:06 AM6/23/22
to Global-board, John DiLeo
Hi there,

John and I met about a week ago to discuss various things. We need federated OWASP entities, along the lines of Amnesty International. The new bylaws permits this, but instead of deleting them, I would suggest we work out to make it work for John as a test case first.

I would suggest the following pathway:

Stage 1. Vote to permit John to change the name of his non-profit AppSec NZ to OWASP NZ, with a written understanding that there will be following governance and federated financial support models that he will need to adopt.

Stage 2. Consult with Amnesty International on their model. We use this model for China and NZ, and possibly the EU as well.

Stage 3. Pass a federation policy under the new bylaws, and revise agreements with OWASP NZ to ensure good governance, and mutually financially beneficial relationship between the two entities.

Stage 4. OWASP Foundation operationalizes the different models.

Please discuss. I'll add something to the agenda to have a discussion and / or vote.

thanks,
Andrew

Martin Knobloch

Jun 23, 2022, 8:59:23 AM6/23/22
to Andrew van der Stock, Global-board, John DiLeo
Hi Andrew,

I am confused, I thought you are on PTO?
Can we please follow a process on such matters. The current approach appears quite ad hoc to me.

Kind regards,
-martin

Avi Douglen

Jun 23, 2022, 9:16:21 AM6/23/22
to Andrew van der Stock, Global-board, John DiLeo
Thanks Andrew. I like this plan a lot, it is very well thought out and I think will be useful - and possibly unfortunately popular, so we’d need to be very clear on the costs and downsides to this spreading. (e.g. I think OWASPIL might interested in considering this too, to save on VAT once we get back to inperson conferences…)
And likely filters and other controls to ensure this doesn’t get out of hand and abused… but that will be in stage 3/4.

Anyway I am on board with getting started with this plan, we’ll discuss at the meeting but any large issues should be raised now…?

Cheers,
Avi D

Joubin Jabbari

Jun 23, 2022, 9:17:42 AM6/23/22
to Avi Douglen, Andrew van der Stock, Global-board, John DiLeo
Don’t we need the bylaw change to make such votes?

Andrew van der Stock

Jun 23, 2022, 9:42:31 AM6/23/22
to Martin Knobloch, Global-board, John DiLeo
Hi Martin,

I am not on leave. I was on medical leave for COVID in mid-May, and I'm taking two weeks of annual leave from July 5 through July 15. During this time, Dawn will be fielding my email and Harold will be the Board's point of contact. I will be discussing my leave with the Officers at today's Board prep meeting, because I will need Vandana or Grant to sign contracts on the Foundation's behalf, and for Glenn to do payable approvals whilst I am away. There's likely to be one payable run.

I am currently traveling for the SBOM meeting that was held yesterday. That was highly successful and well worth doing. I am transitioning our support of SBOM / CycloneDX to Harold. There are currently no more planned in-person meetings, but the progress made yesterday was great. OWASP is back in the game. We may be able to leverage the meeting to obtain grants from the US government. I will be following up with the USG representative to make sure that we find out.

thanks,
Andrew

Andrew van der Stock

Jun 23, 2022, 9:42:42 AM6/23/22
to Joubin Jabbari, Avi Douglen, Global-board, John DiLeo
Yes, but the bit in the bylaws allows for federated entities. When we do the bylaw meeting, we can discuss its retention, as well as ensure we discuss the motion in the Board meeting next week. I've put it in as a vote, but happy during the board prep call to make it a discussion.

thanks
Andrew

Martin Knobloch

Jun 23, 2022, 10:39:41 AM6/23/22
to Andrew van der Stock, Joubin Jabbari, Avi Douglen, Global-board, John DiLeo
If I am not mistaken, adding items to the board meeting requires a one week notice. Definitely if that is something of that importance, we need time to discuss.
That is why we have a process and I see no reason why we should devert right now.

Just to be clear, I am not against or in favor just yet, but we need to make sure we are guiding OWASP in a controlled matter, not in ad hoc hysteria.

Kind regards,
-martin

Andrew van der Stock

Jun 23, 2022, 10:58:50 AM6/23/22
to Global-board, Martin Knobloch, Joubin Jabbari, Avi Douglen, Global-board, John DiLeo, Andrew van der Stock
The meeting was postponed from Tuesday, so I understand your reticence in allowing a vote this close to the meeting.

I am happy for the vote to move to a discussion. It's certainly a big topic that needs careful thought.

thanks,
Andrew