Board induction resources

Andrew van der Stock

Jan 17, 2022, 4:42:34 PM1/17/22
to Global-board
Hi Board,

Martin last year suggested for the Foundation to improve the public induction information requirements/process. We are editing for accuracy and length, and I welcome any PRs or comments.

A draft is now up:

Whilst doing this, we found inconsistencies in the practical qualification and induction processes and dates documented in the bylaws, our processes, and various Director agreements. We should address this when the delayed bylaw legal review is finalized.

Assuming if Board members are to take their seats on January 1, here are some issues that should be resolved prior to the next election process:
  • What bylaws, agreements, and processes need to change to make sure everything is completed with realistic deadlines that don't fall due when the office is closed and Board and staff are on leave? All bylaws, agreements, processes, and so on should have the same deadlines.
  • Assuming an incoming Board member doesn't meet qualifications, what happens after January 1? Is this an automatic vacancy? Or does the Board declare a vacancy at the first general meeting and then follow the vacancy process? Does the next person who was nearly elected get a shot (this is our convention, but ... the bylaw vacancy process is a bit open-ended)
  • Assuming an incoming or existing Director doesn't sign their Director agreement or conflict of interest statements by January 1, what happens? They aren't eligible for Director's and Officers insurance and thus shouldn't vote as they then have personal liability for Board decisions. This should be clarified to protect Board members.
  • If there is a change to induction materials or training, should the Board be required to redo their induction and get new materials? I would say yes, but the very least is to indicate to all Board members that things have changed and they are welcome to get updated materials and training. This is true right now.
  • Should there be a grace period for qualifications, the same as there is now a grace period for financial membership? If so, during grace periods, can a Director participate in meetings or vote?
thanks,
Andrew van der Stock
Executive Director, OWASP

OWASP Top 10 and OWASP Application Security Verification Standard co-lead

Martin Knobloch

Feb 3, 2022, 3:39:33 AM2/3/22
to Andrew van der Stock, Global-board
Hi Andrew, et al,

It took me much too long, but finally I got time and head free to go over all the details.
..I love it, thank you so much!

Kind regards,
-martin

Andrew van der Stock

Feb 4, 2022, 4:54:16 PM2/4/22
to Martin Knobloch, Global-board
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback. I'll ask the incoming nominees to suggest any improvements later this year.

thanks,
Andrew

Martin Knobloch

Feb 5, 2022, 11:03:31 AM2/5/22