Transition to the new Committees policy

Andrew van der Stock

Nov 5, 2020, 1:00:59 PM11/5/20
to OWASP Chapter Committee, education-and-tr...@owasp.org, WIA Committee, OWASP Outreach Committee, OWASP Governance - Compliance / Whistleblower Committee, Global-board, OWASP Staff
Hi Committees,

Now that the Board has approved the new Committees policy that finally gives you access to some of the Board's powers, expenses, travel, and access to the forthcoming grants, awards, scholarship policies, and so on, it's time to get all committees who weren't formed under the current policy to be aligned with the requirements of the new policy. This is going to be pretty straightforward for most of you - just repackage and clarify your original formation charter, select your existing officers, and if you sit on multiple committees, you will need to select one of them.

To this end, I would like you at your next committee meeting:

Create a committee charter, with a preamble, purpose, scope, and initial officers. They will be brought to a future board meeting to be voted on by the Board to enshrine your charter and committee scope. Here's the project committee's charter, which is a great starting point for your charter:

Select or Vote in 3-5 committee officers. You must delegate a Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary, per the policy, and you can have up to 2 more officers, but these are entirely optional. I would suggest to break ties, you should have an odd number of committee members. As before, Committee officers need to be OWASP members.

If you sit on multiple committees, you must decide which committee you will sit in. This only affects a few folks, and you are more than welcome to keep participating in as many committees as you like, but your vote can only count on one committee. This is to prevent shadow boards and provide the community with more diverse viewpoints.

Some quick notes:
  • Chapter Committee - I would like you to add Student Chapters, Regional Chapters, and OWASP Membership as part of your charter and scope
  • Compliance Committee - I will speak to you separately, as obviously many of the provisions don't apply to you, and also, I will help you in your efforts to recruit new members to the compliance committee, as I know it's a difficult task
I will be working to establish an Events Committee and a Corporate Advisory Committee. If you have any interest in those areas, please contact me as I need charter founders for those new committees. I don't see many more committees existing, as this completes all of the program areas that OWASP currently invests in.

If you have any clarifications needed, please contact me:

thanks,
Andrew van der Stock
Executive Director, OWASP

OWASP Top 10 and OWASP Application Security Verification Standard co-lead